PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This guy is such a complete and utter arse, it is isn't funny. In his latest column, he is basically lobbying Goodell to suspend Belichick for stuff he has already been punished for if the new rule of him lower standard of evidence to punish teams for cheating goes through.

From his column:

"The analogy is in the criminal world," said Ray Anderson, the NFL's vice president of football operations. "It's the proof beyond a reasonable doubt. In the civil world, it's preponderance of the evidence, meaning more likely than not that something occurred. So we are looking to enforce a standard of proof that would be more in line with preponderance of the evidence."

In other words, given the preponderance of evidence standard, Goodell can take the appearance of spying and level harsh penalties. This could have an impact on Spygate.

Unless new evidence turns up, Spygate is over as far as Goodell and the NFL are concerned. The Patriots lost a first-round choice and $250,000. Belichick was fined $500,000. After a quick investigation, it was determined Belichick had ordered the taping of other teams' signals. He handed over those tapes. Although he didn't think he was doing anything against the rules, Belichick -- according to Goodell -- admitted he had been taping signals for years. The six tapes were destroyed. In Goodell's eyes, the case was closed.

Matt Walsh, a former Patriots videographer who may have more evidence of the team's covert taping, has been negotiating with league lawyers before he discusses Spygate. Goodell has always said he would reopen Spygate if there is new evidence.

That's where the "preponderance of evidence" discussion could produce an interesting twist to the Spygate case. If Walsh testifies after the owners meeting and has new evidence, the standard of proof against Belichick might be less, and the coach could face a possible suspension based on a lower standard of proof. There isn't a double jeopardy provision in Goodell's original decision on taping signals.

Goodell said at the Pro Bowl that Belichick had signed a document that he turned over all evidence involving spying. If there is another level of spying and evidence Belichick hasn't presented or knew of and didn't fess up to, Goodell has the authority to act again. After all, he would have caught Belichick in a lie and the coach would have to pay for that lie.

It's pretty obvious from Goodell's actions that he believes Belichick has given him everything in regards to Spygate. The commissioner has said on numerous occasions that he has seen no additional evidence against Belichick that would merit further penalties.

Nevertheless, Walsh isn't going away. Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter isn't going to stop ripping Goodell for not interviewing Walsh. Specter, currently on a book tour, wants to know whether all information regarding Spygate has been released. A smart politician, he knows mentioning Walsh in any national forum will draw headlines.

I think Goodell must clear the air about Walsh, who will determine whether Spygate lives or dies. If Walsh has evidence to implicate Belichick for doing more spying, it must be aired. If he has nothing, we need to know that, too. The integrity of the sport must be the highest concern.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3320938

You can almost see this goober drolling at his keyboard at Goodell suspending Belichick.

I am sorry. But if Walsh produces tapes of the Pats videotaping opposing defensive signals, that will not trigger more actions against Belichick no matter what the standard of evidence Goodell has. Walsh testifying of other allegations of cheating without evidence to support it won't either.

Goodell isn't going to suspend a coach even with a lower standard of burden of proof without him having some proof the allegations are true. It may not be the smoking gun, but he is going to want to make sure that it is more likely than not that the allegations are true.

Last edited:
I think Clayton would love to come out and say "Walsh taped the walk-through and Goodell will suspend BB because of it". But Clayton doesn't have the sack to say something like this because it might pan out that Walsh has got nada.
So he writes the above paragraph even though it doesn't stand up to a logical read.

just another bunch of wishful thinking from ESPN. Too bad when Walsh has nothing and the libel suits start LO:rocker:L

John Clayton is a joke

Glad you figured that out.:D

No seriously, you are right.

It sounds like the NFL is trying to penalize the Pats, change the rules/standards, and then add on to the original penalty. Give that one to Arlen Specter.

It's been quiet in the league lately w/the lull before the draft so the cryptkeeper needed something to write about. There is nothing to his story and nothing will happen further with "spygate."

In other news, my cat's breath smells like cat food.

Clayton goes back-to-back today, with a whole different spin on Kraft's remarks about Walsh today. The chicken neck seems to want to replace Easterbrook on the spygate Pats bashing bandwagon. Guess which link is worth clicking on?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/robert_kraft_on.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3322568

So you don't have to click on espn, here's Clayton's take.

After reporting facts and quotes in the first half of the article, Clayton switches to editorial mode by stating "Spygate isn't going anywhere, and the commissioner realizes that. Integrity is the big theme of this owners meeting. Goodell is putting in mechanisms to better police the sport. He wants teams to sign documents each season that they didn't spy. He is pushing for spot checks in coaches' boxes and on the field.

Goodell believe he owes that to the public.

"I believe that the public understands that we responded very aggressively to the Patriots issue," Goodell said. "We were the ones to discover it, disclose it and discipline it with unprecedented discipline. To date, all the discussion and all the other rhetoric have been on rumors. We've known Coach Belichick has done that [spying on signals] through his career. From my standpoint, I think these steps are necessary.

"We recognize there has been a great deal of discussion about this. There is a questioning of our integrity. I believe strongly in the integrity of our game and I know our clubs do, too," he said.

In the meantime, the lawyers are trying to work out the Walsh testimony.

What a tool.

That Tool Clayton said:
Goodell said at the Pro Bowl that Belichick had signed a document that he turned over all evidence involving spying. If there is another level of spying and evidence Belichick hasn't presented or knew of and didn't fess up to, Goodell has the authority to act again. After all, he would have caught Belichick in a lie and the coach would have to pay for that lie.

Even if Walsh shows up with a tape, Belichick still would have turned over all evidence in his possession -- which is what he attested to to Goodell. How was BB to know that some guy he fired five years ago stole a tape? Clayton is a damned fool.

Clayton goes back-to-back today, with a whole different spin on Kraft's remarks about Walsh today. The chicken neck seems to want to replace Easterbrook on the spygate Pats bashing bandwagon. Guess which link is worth clicking on?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/robert_kraft_on.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3322568

So you don't have to click on espn, here's Clayton's take.

After reporting facts and quotes in the first half of the article, Clayton switches to editorial mode by stating "Spygate isn't going anywhere, and the commissioner realizes that. Integrity is the big theme of this owners meeting. Goodell is putting in mechanisms to better police the sport. He wants teams to sign documents each season that they didn't spy. He is pushing for spot checks in coaches' boxes and on the field.

Goodell believe he owes that to the public.

"I believe that the public understands that we responded very aggressively to the Patriots issue," Goodell said. "We were the ones to discover it, disclose it and discipline it with unprecedented discipline. To date, all the discussion and all the other rhetoric have been on rumors. We've known Coach Belichick has done that [spying on signals] through his career. From my standpoint, I think these steps are necessary.

"We recognize there has been a great deal of discussion about this. There is a questioning of our integrity. I believe strongly in the integrity of our game and I know our clubs do, too," he said.

In the meantime, the lawyers are trying to work out the Walsh testimony.

What a tool.

I love this part of the article from Clayton's piec today:

One new revelation came out during the first official day of the owners meeting. Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Walsh never signed a confidentiality clause when he left the team in 2003. Kraft, speaking to reporters in the hallway of The Breakers hotel, believes Spygate should be over.

Really?!? it came out today? You mean when it came out in Mike Fish's piece on ESPN.com buried in his article published over a month ago, it didn't come out then? This shows you how much the media is onesided on this story. They have been hiding things that are in favor of the Patriots' side of the story that collegues from their own media outlet don't know what they are posting.

Clayton has always been an anti-Pats assbag.

and how could BB turn over a tape that is in Walsh's hand?

or whatever it is he has.

isnt this suppose to be evidence of something new, not evidence of something we already know about.

and how could BB turn over a tape that is in Walsh's hand?

or whatever it is he has.

isnt this suppose to be evidence of something new, not evidence of something we already know about.

I think he means if it's the Rams SB walkthrough tape, which he hasn't been punished for (yet). Anything else and it's already been covered in the fall.

When I read crap like this the term dense comes to mind.

The new level of proof standard, in addition to ownership oversight and whistle blower mechanism Goodell is lobbying for isn't for us, our life is an open book, it's to deter the 31 who haven't been caught red handed violating the rules to date...duh. Roger should compel the little professor to testify once the new rules are in place about the 3 teams who were using video to effect in game adjustments in 2006... I'm sure the "sources" who told him about them are at least as credible as Matt Walsh... And hey, John, the integrity of the league is certainly important enough to you to share information with the Commish. And what is this fixation with spying - what about those who tamper with players and coaches and staff, those who circumvent the coach to QB communication system or jam a visitors communications, those who mike linemen or pump in crowd noise or even those who coach illegal blocking techniques or roll over so a buddy can make the playoffs. It's about punishing those who break the rules, it's not about punishing spying per se either since in the case in question you couldn't spy on something in plain sight.

Mediots are morons.

i love his quote "walsh isnt going away".....................ummmm, when did walsh even come in the first place? we've heard about walsh for 3 months now, and nothing has come of it.

Clayton has been beating the "Penalty was too light/Suspend Belichick" drum since September.

He's more eloquent, but his thoughts on this subject are the same as a message board troll: "Ban Bellecheck for life!1!11! Cheeters!111!1!"

What SuperChicken wrote: "SpyGate isn't going anywhere..."

What SuperChicken meant: "I really despise Belichick, so I'm going to make damn sure that SpyGate doesn't go anywhere so that I can destroy Belichick while at the same time win a Pulitzer like my heroes Woodward and Bernstein..."

This whole Espn is a joke.. I happen to flip channels this am, and saw the man girl and meat ball show.. They were talking about a conspiricy against the Pats, because of this spy gate stuff and why they are not on opening weekend, and they said because of spygate.. Then Mort came on , and said this walsh is a nice guy blah blah blah.. Espn is on witch hunt, and this spy gate stuff needs to go away now... Its ruining the game period..

Last edited:
The reason ESPN is driving the spygate train is because NFLN has hurt them big time. The access and information funneled to Schefter is the stuff their football insiders used to make bank on. They lost the draft, the combine, cut some of their previously best post game analysis programming because it couldn't compete with a league owned network.

What is really pathetic is aside from Mort who I think is becoming senile, most of their front line guys know better. When Clayton was on with Felger last fall he was the voice of reason having been made aware that there were teams taping for in game use. He understood what we did was more in depth scouting than anything. But that's not the story line that sells, and this crap is. They all know that it would take additional unrelated (to defensive signals) documented charges to revisit the Patriots penalty. When a pressured Goodell foolishly left the door open to revisit his decision SIX MONTHS AGO it was because all manner of "accusations" were flying - none of which have been advanced an iota since. But spinning it loosely otherwise and using tortured logic to somehow tie every move the league makes thereafter to us is more melodramatic and appealing to their target audience - the blind haters. And as Tom Curren noted after moving to MSNBC, you write for your target audience nationally or you won't be writing for long in this business.

Last edited:
You right Mo Lewis, they are whining today, they have to do a Denver Oakland game, rather a Pats vs Seattle.. Bunch of goofs.. Its all about the NFLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST