PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets window is now shut

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Jets decide to keep Edwards instead of Holmes, Tannenbaum should be fired before the ink dries on the Edwards contract.

I was going to say the same thing. Not only is Edwards a complete meat head, he, well, sucks compared to Holmes.

The funny thing is the Jets have done virtually nothing in the last five years that could be considered innovative. For whatever reason, Tannenbaum is a supposed genius. Why?

The only thing I'll give them credit for is some savvy drafting. Not to say it was really brilliant drafting because they had some pretty high picks to work with. They got Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, and Harris in the first round. I'd call Revis and Mangold great picks for where they were drafted. I don't see a lot of good late-round picks at all for the Jets, and I see a quarterback who has played well in big games but still has a QB rating of around 70. Point being that their drafting has resulted in some good players, but those players command high first round salaries and should be good.

Onto free agency. The Jets have not signed a single player for salary/compensation that can be considered a bargain. To recap some of their moves last year. Jason Taylor and Ladainian Tomlinson, paid way above the highest bidders. Santonio Holmes, traded for a fifth-rounder because no one wanted the headache; once again the Jets were the highest bidder; ditto on Braylon Edwards. Bart Scott, again the Jets were willing to pony up the cash. Antonio Cromartie, the Jets were far and away the highest bidder, again giving away a second-round pick.

Even in re-signing their own talent, the Jets didn't exactly get bargains with Mangold or (definitely not) Revis.

What's the point? Good teams typically draft very well, regardless of their draft position, develop players, and get great bargains on the free agent market. That's how you beat the cap. Don't mistake aggressive bidding and a win-now mentality for a solid long-term plan.

Look at all the guys the Patriots have who cost them virtually nothing and aren't giving them a huge cap hit. The Jets have very few of these guys. Logic tells me this will all catch up with them very soon.

I'd say that they got pretty good value in the Holmes trade, especially if they're able to re-sign him.

The Steelers already had Ward and struck gold with Wallace. The Jets don't have receivers like that lying around to pick up the slack.

Emmanuel Lewis and Antonio Brown aren't bad either. I think we can all agree that the Steelers have done a fantastic job of drafting young WRs, vs. the Jets who don't have the draft picks to emulate that formula.

Although it does appear that the Jets will be in a difficult position due to the age of many of their players, and the relatively high number of free agents on their roster, I'm hesitant to declare their 'window is now shut'.

For one thing they are still going to have several very good players. But the other thing to consider is this: how many times over the years have we heard opposing fans state with total confidence that the Patriots were done, finished, destined for losing seasons, etc.?

Obviously I am hoping that their window is shut, as that would improve the Patriots' chances of success. However, I'm going to wait and see before I declare that statement to be a fact.

So Mangold74, it seems to me that let's say the Jets bring back the people you'd like to keep, and I think its reasonable to believe that they won't bring back much more than that unless they agree to team friendly contracts, then you have a lot of key contributers to this years team that the Jets will have to find suitable replacements for next year. How exactly are they going to fill those holes with most of the free agency money going to the guys you want to keep? Trade? You will need either picks or players for that and I'm not sure the Jets can afford to part with any of either. Draft? It's a lot to ask from rookies and they'd need to hit on every pick in this draft for them not to take a step back this year. Duccasse and Wilson could make the second year leap and work out well for the Jets but how comfortable are you in that actually happening? It seems like there are a lot of question marks on the Jets heading into this off-season.

I am not going to say their window is shut, but next seasons team could look a lot different at some key positions. Not only are Edwards and Holmes free agents, but so is Brad Smith. Cromartie is gone, hello Kyle Wilson :D. David Harris is a free agent, but I am sure they will have to franchise tag him, he is going to want more money then that Moron scott, who was ridiculously overpaid by the jets. Fun times ahead...

If the Jets decide to keep Edwards instead of Holmes, Tannenbaum should be fired before the ink dries on the Edwards contract.

Yeah Braylon is a better all around player. He may not make that insane catch but he's a very good blocker, he had one drop in 19 games this year. Santonio makes the crazy catch but drives you crazy with his drops, fumbles and just lack of concentration at times.

You're missing the big picture.

If you get a bye, you skip the earlier easier round.

Let's cut through the BS: past two seasons they went to the AFCC game, we got knocked out in our first game. Which is better?

Last edited:
Yeah Braylon is a better all around player. He may not make that insane catch but he's a very good blocker, he had one drop in 19 games this year. Santonio makes the crazy catch but drives you crazy with his drops, fumbles and just lack of concentration at times.

That loss to the Steelers has driven you insane.

I'm pretty sure the fact that Moss was traded means there is no cap hit. AT would have one tho

Moss was going to be a FA anyways, so there will be no cap hit in 2011 for Moss, period. Thomas' 2011 signing bonus proration might still be on the cap next year, though.

Question: Will the final 4 (Jets, Steelers, Bears, and GB) be restricted in free agency like they were last year, or does the labor situation change that?

Doubt it'll really matter for the Jets, since they'll have so many FAs leaving that they'll be able to sign pretty much however many they need.

I sincerely hope that Tannenbaum agrees with you.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Jets LB corps is a bit overrated. Bryan Thomas is mediocre. Pace seems to have taken a few courses at the Tully Banta-Cain School of Pass Rushing last offseason. Scott talks a lot but isn't that great.

And while Harris is seen as a must-sign, he's limited athletically and looked a lot of times this season like he was running around with cement in his shoes.

Doubt it'll really matter for the Jets, since they'll have so many FAs leaving that they'll be able to sign pretty much however many they need.

That's not quite the way it works though. They have $99M already committed to less than half a roster (80 or so per season including dead cap guys and PS and IR every season...). They could be looking at $30M or so under the cap but with more than 40 players to sign and few draft picks to fill in the gaps inexpensively... Guys like Santonio or Braylon or Cromartie aren't going to give Rex a home town discount in exchange for a gd snack and hollow promises of a ring. Revis deal is set up in a way that could result in another holdout for a restructure. Many of the gaps they will have to fill will require multiple millions. And those PSL's still haven't sold.

We are in way better shape cap and roster wise, and we have a boatload of draft picks they don't. We have two expensive UFA we need to retain in order to add via the draft. They have several. Our 2010 draft class showed exceptional development, their's bombed. You know what BB says, if you're not getting better in this league you're getting worse. We have the cap space and draft ammo to keep getting better. They don't. They will be hard pressed to maintain a close facimile to the status quo. As for attracting veteran FA dreaming of a ring, you can only play that "wildcard" so many times before the promise itself starts to ring hollow. Then you end up with guys really just looking for a solid gig with good pay and benefits like...snacks. As we found out... And when the going gets touch those guys don't rise up for you. That is why drafting well is so important.

other factor that people aren't talking about we had about 14 million in cap space taken up by moss and adalius who we cut and traded this year... that will be put to use next year.

and 11 million on bodden and warren who'll return... so there is money going to use right there... now that i am taking a closer look at the numbers here i honestly can see no reason why BB if he sees anyone he likes that he shouldn't go get them. We have the cap room, draft picks and Seasoned Vet starters coming back.

I can't believe it but i this is the 1st time i have felt better NFL wise since the jets loss laying all that out infront of me
Since there was no cap in 2010, nobody (Pats included) had to be concerned about cap ramifications. Therefore moving Moss and Adalius didn't really free up any space for 2010. However by cutting Thomas this past year rather than next year, the Pats did avoid being saddled with any of his dead cap space against the 2011 cap. It was a smart move by the team to get rid of him when they did, in order to avoid that hit to the 2011 cap.

More importantly it did save the Pats $10.8 million in real (not cap) money, that was available for other purposes such as the signing bonuses that Brady, Wilfork and Bodden received with their new contracts.

Had there been a cap in 2010, Thomas would have counted $8.8 million against the 2010 cap being cut, and $9.4 million against the cap if he had been on the roster. If the Pats had kept Thomas he would have counted $10.4 million against the 2011 cap.

Moss' contract expired in 2010 so he would not have counted against the 2011 cap regardless of whether or not he was traded.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2010 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page
Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2010 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page

Question: Will the final 4 (Jets, Steelers, Bears, and GB) be restricted in free agency like they were last year, or does the labor situation change that?

Those restrictions will die with the expiring CBA. Just like the restrictive contract and FA rules. The only way they would remain is if the two sides agreed to simply extend the existing deal, and the owners have already said they have NO interest in doing that.

The thing is there will be NO free agency until a new CBA in place or until the owners declare an impass or the NFLPA decertifies and the rules become whatever the owners have been proposing in the interim. Other than that there will be a lockout in March and everyone will remain in limbo until a new CBA is in place. And if the lockout drags on owners will opt to forgo FA in 2011 meaning everyone you want will be back and the only additions anyone will be making will be pre season trades, draftees, UDFA's and (cut) street FA. With Bodden and Warren and a few others due back and Light and Mankins stuck here and 6 picks in the first three draft rounds (to the JETS 2) we'd probably be OK... In a manner of speaking the JETS could be screwed either way, particularly in light of their disappointing 2010 draftees performances.

The jets defense is not as bad.They seem like a playoff defense.The pats defense needs to get tougher and play more man to man defense.

The jets defense is not as bad.They seem like a playoff defense.The pats defense needs to get tougher and play more man to man defense.

That's funny. I'd say that's precisely what the Patriots offense needs to do, particularly in the playoffs (obviously not play more "man to man," but you get the point).

I get your point about the offense but the problem is this team right now doesnt have that speed on the outside at wr.I am not sold on Brandon Tate.:mad:I would draft another wr in the draft.

Don't worrying about the ink drying. Edwards will drop the pen before he can sign the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call