PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets 5 free time outs slowed down No Huddle offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, even Simms and Nantz noticed it. Hell, they were borderline sarcastic, if not completely.

When one of the Jets was rolling on the ground Nantz said: "I wonder if he's going to jump up and run back in there after one play"

the Jets player did exactly that.

Theres no doubt in my mind that was a huge part of the Jets gameplan. And it worked perfectly. In a game of momentum, these free time outs changed everything. Any time we marched down the field, we were halted by a fake injured Jet rolling around on the ground and it took the wind out of our offenses sails. Also gave the Jets defense a breather, time to get set, and their coaches more time to figure out what play to call.

Huge advantage and exploit. I'm not mad, it was a very smart gameplan and its clear the Jets wouldve done it another 5 times if they had to. But I'm surprised no one is talking about this in the media. Something needs to be done about that crap before the NFL turns into Soccer.

Last edited:
It happens. A lot of teams do it cos the rules let it happen

To be fair, I believe we've done the same thing :cool:

I'm sure it happens every now and then. But to THIS extent? I've watched a lot of football and never seen it happen that much in one game. It was so blatant what they were doing by the end of the game.

It happens. A lot of teams do it cos the rules let it happen

Including (possibly... because they never admitted to it) the Pats in '03.

Ive seen teams do it once, maybe twice in a game at most. But FIVE times? That's unprecedented.

I don't think it had any material impact on the game, it is just a sleaze move alongside attempting to "ice" the kicker. Anybody who was actually hurt would have been out for longer than one play. Maybe next week the talk about ending somebody else's career comes back to bite them and somebody has to actually see a trainer rather than hopping back onto the field like nothing happened. I hear the Steelers are a pretty physical team.

Last edited:
I don't think it had any material impact on the game, it is just a sleaze move alongside attempting to "ice" the kicker. Anybody who was actually hurt would have been out for longer than one play. Maybe next week the talk about ending somebody else's career comes back to bite them and somebody has to actually see a trainer rather than hopping back onto the field like nothing happened. I hear the Steelers are a pretty physical team.

ofcourse it did.

Momentum is everything in football. I've already listed numerous advantages this gives the defense that is doing it. Icing kickers is different because 1- it uses a team timeout and 2- kickers dont rely on momentum and rythem the same way QB's do.

Furthermore, getting free time outs completely defeats the entire purpose of "No Huddle" offense.

If this isnt looked at, who's to say a team doesnt do this 10-15 times in the SuperBowl to slow down the Packers? Heck, you could do this after every play under the current rules.

Last edited:
If this isnt looked at, who's to say a team doesnt do this 10-15 times in the SuperBowl to slow down the Packers? Heck, you could do this after every play under the current rules.

oh I definitely think it needs to get looked at, I just don't rank it that high among other factors in what went south yesterday. If somebody is "hurt" enough to stop play than they should be given a serious look at by the trainers. You'd think with all the nonsense of people continuing to play in a season with multiple concussions the NFL would at least want to maintain the illusion that player safety is a pressing concern.

oh I definitely think it needs to get looked at, I just don't rank it that high among other factors in what went south yesterday. If somebody is "hurt" enough to stop play than they should be given a serious look at by the trainers. You'd think with all the nonsense of people continuing to play in a season with multiple concussions the NFL would at least want to maintain the illusion that player safety is a pressing concern.

It was definitely a factor. Ruined our fast paced offense. Stopped Brady from getting into a rythem. Took away the entire purpose of "No Huddle" offense and gave the Jets defense more time to get set and figure out what we were doing on offense.

Probably cost us a lot of points.

Last edited:
I completely agree with nathan on his points...This is ridiculous....They should make the rule that the "injured" player can't re-enter the game until a change of possession happens....That may help guys not fake injuries because if you are really hurt you will be out at least that long or longer....

Why are people so angry at this? The Patriots have done it in the past and exploited the rules to do so. It was a very smart tactic by the Jets and it worked a treat for them.

SB quality teams overcome things like this.

And we still won. Hope your team has fun playing madden in Brady's basement next weekend!

1st one.... okay, it happens. Took away our momentum and slowed down the offense. Had to settle for a FG.

2nd one.... this is starting to seem a bit fishy

3rd one..... this is getting out of hand.

4th one..... fans start booing the "injured" player. This is BS

5th one..... ridiculous.

Every time the Jets player took one play off and then ran right back on the field.

The blueprint on stopping a fast-paced offense has been written. Want a free time out? Need time to reset and get your players in position? Not sure what play to call and need a few more seconds to figure it out? Fake an injury, get a free time out.

The NFL seriously needs to look at this exploit and make some changes to the rules.

The Pats invented this tactic so I wouldn't complain if I were you!!

The Pats invented this tactic so I wouldn't complain if I were you!!
You should read some about the history of this in the NFL. The Patriots were not the first to do this. Copycat league and all.

I have no problem with it. The Pats have done it. It could have backfired on them. One player who went down was Revis. If the Pats picked on his replacement on the next play and got a TD because of it, Ryan would look pretty stupid.

Personally, using it more than once or twice especially when you are rotating players who are faking injuries to not draw attention to it could really backfire on a team.

1st one.... okay, it happens. Took away our momentum and slowed down the offense. Had to settle for a FG.

5th one..... ridiculous.

Every time the Jets player took one play off and then ran right back on the field.

The blueprint on stopping a fast-paced offense has been written. Want a free time out? Need time to reset and get your players in position? Not sure what play to call and need a few more seconds to figure it out? Fake an injury, get a free time out.

The NFL seriously needs to look at this exploit and make some changes to the rules.

the nfl already addressed this by putting in a rule where said player has to take the next play off.

every team does this, the jets last night, just mastered it

5th one..... ridiculous.

This seems like a fair complaint. Obviously, the Jets' plan was to have their best corner not on the field on a critical 4th and 13. Damn cheaters!

Guys, you lost the game. You've got a great QB, a great coach, and a core that'll keep you competing for superbowls for the next 3-5 years. Just not this year. Man up and stop making excuses; the better team won yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft