PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jake Bequette, Chandler Jones, Rob Nincovich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technicalities? Dude, Nink was on the field making plays in years one and two, he was active for 15 games in year four (and registered a sack), got a multi-year contract extension in year four, and he was a starter by year five. He didn't take 3 times as long as Bequette.

That's not technicalities. That's you being flat out wrong.

So you think we should hold onto Bequette for 4 or 5 years, hoping he'll break out like Ninkovich?

I don't know about that.

If Belichick sees Hageman as a fit, and that may certainly depend on what's available or if they find any trading partners, then I'd be excited about adding a young player on the line with some upside for sure.

I'm just wondering out loud if maybe he ends up being a little too much of a gamble for the usual "sure thing" safer kind of picks that Bill normally likes to make, that's all.

Good point about Bequette's future--or lack thereof, should we take a prospect like that on the line, although I must admit that I'd have to lean towards feeling that his future here isn't looking too great. As you noted, maybe he's been progressing and the staff likes what they see, but his lack of playing time alone is enough to warrant serious concern after 2-3 yrs.

I think Hageman has the potential to be a monster, which is certainly the type of gamble BB would make. My thinking there is, monster DL are usually top 5 or 10, not pick 29.

I beleaved when they drafted him, they would red shirt him for a year to become a 3-4 DE. He reminded me alot of Justin Smith ( 9ers) and thats still the way i see him going.

You think Bequette is suddenly going to become one of the best DL of this era?

The only way anyone confuses him with Smith is if he buys his jersey and walks around San Francisco.

So you think we should hold onto Bequette for 4 or 5 years, hoping he'll break out like Ninkovich?

I don't know about that.

Ray, we just had this discussion in another thread, you had to know that you were inviting this kind of argument when you started the thread as Bequette has done absolutely nothing since joining the Patriots, and couldn't even get a whiff of the field when they were decimated by injury on the DL. You can cling to the "Belichick knows what he is doing" meme as long as you want, and only a few idiots would suggest otherwise, but that alone doesn't support your argument unless that's all your argument amounts to, in which case you should have simply started a thread asking if Belichick knows what he is doing so you could draw out the moronic few who would argue otherwise.

I am as forgiving of Belichick draft picks as they come around here, and even gave him time and slack on the Tavon Wilson pick, even though I, like pretty much everyone else, went "What The F.ck" when he made it and passed on LaVonte David, but when a player never contributes in any way and misses the most obvious opportunities to see the field then you have to come to the conclusion that he was much more likely a swing and a miss than a diamond in the rough. At this point i just want them to replace him as he has shown nothing to indicate that he will ever amount to anything in the NFL, and comparing him to Ninkovich makes no sense because Ninkovich at least was a real contributor on special teams whereas Bequette doesn't even do anything in that area. Ninkovich is somewhat analogous to Vrabel, whereas Bequette is analogous to David Nugent.

I think Hageman has the potential to be a monster, which is certainly the type of gamble BB would make. My thinking there is, monster DL are usually top 5 or 10, not pick 29.

I have been hearing some Haynesworth analogies recently. he has the upside but does he have the brains to use it, or will he become a great big problem child, those are the questions?

You think Bequette is suddenly going to become one of the best DL of this era?

The only way anyone confuses him with Smith is if he buys his jersey and walks around San Francisco.

Didn't say he would become as good as Smith, sayed he reminded me of him, better run defender then pass rusher, none stop motor aprox same size etc etc.

Ray, we just had this discussion in another thread, you had to know that you were inviting this kind of argument when you started the thread as Bequette has done absolutely nothing since joining the Patriots, and couldn't even get a whiff of the field when they were decimated by injury on the DL. You can cling to the "Belichick knows what he is doing" meme as long as you want, and only a few idiots would suggest otherwise, but that alone doesn't support your argument unless that's all your argument amounts to, in which case you should have simply started a thread asking if Belichick knows what he is doing so you could draw out the moronic few who would argue otherwise.

I am as forgiving of Belichick draft picks as they come around here, and even gave him time and slack on the Tavon Wilson pick, even though I, like pretty much everyone else, went "What The F.ck" when he made it and passed on LaVonte David, but when a player never contributes in any way and misses the most obvious opportunities to see the field then you have to come to the conclusion that he was much more likely a swing and a miss than a diamond in the rough. At this point i just want them to replace him as he has shown nothing to indicate that he will ever amount to anything in the NFL, and comparing him to Ninkovich makes no sense because Ninkovich at least was a real contributor on special teams whereas Bequette doesn't even do anything in that area. Ninkovich is somewhat analogous to Vrabel, whereas Bequette is analogous to David Nugent.

I was being sarcastic.

I have been hearing some Haynesworth analogies recently. he has the upside but does he have the brains to use it, or will he become a great big problem child, those are the questions?

If he had the personality of Haynesworth, I wouldn't touch him. Is he coachable, but also needs coaching? That's for the team to decide.

I don't see a top ten pick in the future, though it's possible. Given that, maybe they feel they need to sculpt one.

I was being sarcastic.

I am referring to the thread as a whole, not just your response to Deus, and including Jones and Ninkovich as part of the topic is as disingenuous as it gets because it is clear that the thread is about Bequette and not anyone else.

So I will ask again, is the sole premise of your argument that "Belichick knows what he is doing..." or is there something that Bequette has done to support keeping him on the team, because if it is the former then only an idiot would disagree, and if it is the latter then we are still waiting for you to make your case?

I will be waiting for you to sidestep the question, as always......................

I am referring to the thread as a whole, not just your response to Deus, and including Jones and Ninkovich as part of the topic is as disingenuous as it gets because it is clear that the thread is about Bequette and not anyone else.

So I will ask again, is the sole premise of your argument that "Belichick knows what he is doing..." or is there something that Bequette has done to support keeping him on the team, because if it is the former then only an idiot would disagree, and if it is the latter then we are still waiting for you to make your case?

I will be waiting for you to sidestep the question, as always......................

We have over a month until the draft. I am bringing up speculation about a player who was drafted, kept over other players and never even put on the practice squad. I have no information what their practice sessions are, therefore I have nothing to base an argument on. There are forms of discussion other than arguments.

As far as making excuses, I think that whole idea is ridiculous. I couldn't care less who was picked at 90 in 2012, 199 in 2000, or Miss America in 1992. None of it matters, a free agent could end up being better than all of them (NFL, anyway).

Since Bequette is still on the team and a bit of a mystery, I thought I'd start a speculative thread to while away some time until the draft.

We have over a month until the draft. I am bringing up speculation about a player who was drafted, kept over other players and never even put on the practice squad. I have no information what their practice sessions are, therefore I have nothing to base an argument on. There are forms of discussion other than arguments.

As far as making excuses, I think that whole idea is ridiculous. I couldn't care less who was picked at 90 in 2012, 199 in 2000, or Miss America in 1992. None of it matters, a free agent could end up being better than all of them (NFL, anyway).

Since Bequette is still on the team and a bit of a mystery, I thought I'd start a speculative thread to while away some time until the draft.

It doesn't "offend me" at all it's just a weak thread as all you are apparently saying is that Belichick knows what he is doing therefore Bequette should be here. I asked if you had anything more substantive than that and you dodged it, which is what i expected. You tried to compare him to Ninkovich but failed to note that Ninkovich was released by the teams he failed to contribute to whereas Bequette is still on the one he has failed to contribute to, and if he goes any further without contributing then he will suffer the same fate in New England as Ninkovich did when he didn't contribute. Maybe he will then go somewhere that he does contribute, we'll see?

Not really sure what you are talking about here, i simply asked if your point is solely that Belichick knows what he is doing or if you had anything else to base your position on Bequette and apparently that's all there was to it.

If the question is whether they should replace him with a draft pick or UDFA then my answer is absolutely, he has shown and done nothing to deserve a position on the team and that's how i look at it. As far as i am concerned Tavon Wilson is also on the bubble and he has done far more than Bequete ever has in his time here.

You tried to compare him to Ninkovich but failed to note that Ninkovich was released by the teams he failed to contribute to whereas Bequette is still on the one he has failed to contribute to, and if he goes any further without contributing then he will suffer the same fate in New England as Ninkovich did when he didn't contribute. Maybe he will then go somewhere that he does contribute, we'll see?

Well, you're allowed to speculate too, that's fine.

I'm saying he is here. That's an observation of fact, not an argument. I'm not making a point about a player who's development I have no evidence on.

Does Belichick know what he's doing? I could make a case, but I didn't. Where did I give evidence that he knows what he's doing? I believe he generally does, but belief is, again, not an argument.

I said he could be cut tomorrow or he could still be on the team next year. That's simply an observation based on nothing because I don't get to watch practices. It's not an argument to bring up two opposites and say they are both possible.

It's just a speculative thread based on the few facts we know (he's been here two years, many others have been cut) not an argument defending a position. Long time til the draft and room for other than the same players discussed IMO.

Not everything is an argument.

Argument Clinic From Monty Python | YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not expecting anything out of Bequette. Buchanon, OTOH, seemed to me like the most athletic and explosive DL on the team last year in the ltd # of reps he saw. Maybe he was fresher than the others in comparison? but if he takes well to coaching and adds some bulk, who knows?

If Shawn Crable didn't have skinny chicken legs I'd say that he and Beq were peas in a pod.
Beq is high on my To Do list of cuts this summer, once BB's squad of hackers deletes all the incriminating photos of BB NOT with his girlfriend from Jake's PCs, phones, thumb drives & cloud.
Save your thread Ray if you're right. It will be comedy gold!

I'm not expecting anything out of Bequette. Buchanon, OTOH, seemed to me like the most athletic and explosive DL on the team last year in the ltd # of reps he saw. Maybe he was fresher than the others in comparison? but if he takes well to coaching and adds some bulk, who knows?

I'm not expecting anything out of Bequette either, why would I? I also like Buchanon a lot.

It's not always about winning an argument every thread, though. I'm just imagining why he's still here, since there's no evidence we know.

For instance, Justin Francis had 3 sacks in limited action, was and is available, and looked dynamic to me. Yet he doesn't get a sniff. Maybe some are too focused on winning arguments to imagine their's some type of projection going on. Or maybe there isn't.

Of course a personnell addition could make this all moot.

If Shawn Crable didn't have skinny chicken legs I'd say that he and Beq were peas in a pod.
Beq is high on my To Do list of cuts this summer, once BB's squad of hackers deletes all the incriminating photos of BB NOT with his girlfriend from Jake's PCs, phones, thumb drives & cloud.
Save your thread Ray if you're right. It will be comedy gold!

Again, I am not making an argument. Bequette hasn't even been injured, fer crissakes, although he could be an amputee and we wouldn't know it.

I have mentioned the possibility that he got a hold of the Ken Walter polaroids, so don't make fun of me, I'm sensitive.

I'm not expecting anything out of Bequette either, why would I? I also like Buchanon a lot.

It's not always about winning an argument every thread, though. I'm just imagining why he's still here, since there's no evidence we know.

For instance, Justin Francis had 3 sacks in limited action, was and is available, and looked dynamic to me. Yet he doesn't get a sniff. Maybe some are too focused on winning arguments to imagine their's some type of projection going on. Or maybe there isn't.

Of course a personnell addition could make this all moot.
The mystery surrounding Beq does add some intrigue. As does your consideration of playing him inside.

I'd love it if Beq turns into a late bloomer; just not expecting it.

I don't know about that.

No, as I'm sure you know. He should have been cut long ago. The way this team uses roster spots, this guy's still being on the team is crazy.

The mystery surrounding Beq does add some intrigue. As does your consideration of playing him inside.

I'd love it if Beq turns into a late bloomer; just not expecting it.

That's all it is, I have zero knowledge of what's going on with the guy. Just a discussion of why he's still here, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes