PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jake Bequette, Chandler Jones, Rob Nincovich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Obviously, I didn't post this to start a "he sucks" turdfest, so if you're still torturing yourself about who we should have picked in the seventh round in 1999, this might not be the thread for you.

We've got a full month before the draft, nothing new is likely, so I thought I'd ruminate.

Chandler Jones was traded up for, has outplayed his scouting predictions and is just wonderful. We should have all first round picks on an all pro trajectory. Combine analysis below,

He suffered a knee injury that severely limited him in 2011 and will need to prove he's fully recovered throughout the pre-draft prospect to warrant the draft consideration that he's shown he's worthy of on the field. He should be selected somewhere in the third round. Though undersized, he is best served playing the end position in a 4-3 scheme.

Of course we don't get a hand with four aces every year, so we have to develop players based on measurables, production or other factors overcoming their lack of completeness.

Rob Ninkovich took 6 years before he became a starting player after being picked number 135 (5th). Players like that (IMO) are the difference between winners and losers. After all, the worst teams always have the best picks, so consensus top picks being the difference would mean worst to first scenarios every year, and that doesn't happen.

So, we come to 2012 number 90 (3rd) pick Bequette. He's been on the scout team, from what I've read, but never let go to the practice squad. He hasn't played near enough to make any real analysis, but he's stayed two full years, while players we could have used have been cut.

I'm assuming that BB, with his record, does things for a reason. Doesn't mean Bequette won't be the first cut, but just the fact he's still here. He was supposedly working at olb/DE but I'm speculating he might be lifting his way to a DE/T hybrid.

His weight at the combine was 274 and he's got a big frame. His three cone and 20/shuttle times were outstanding, each better than either Jones or Nink. Chandler is talented, Bequette is not going to get more talented, he is what he is in that regard. However, say he's 285-290 with that type of speed and agility? A rotational DE/DT like that could be quite valuable.

Or he could be cut tomorrow. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably cut, two years is a long time to show something, anything. He's not even memorable on ST.

Michael Buchanon on the other hand I have some hopes for. He showed talent, just lacked proper discipline and needed to learn better technique.

I still hope Bequette can be a player I think his ceiling can still be realized he had raw pass rushing ability and attitude in college.

Those skills haven't translated to a successful NFL career as of yet but I think with the right coaching and the want to.

He is saying all the right things how he has to get better stronger faster I would love to see Buchanon and him create a good rotation at d line I would rather give Bequette reps then Will Smith or Andre Carter. I watch his higlights and I see a real talent and think his chapter as a Patriot hasn't been inked yet.

A huge jump from Bequette and Buchanon would make this defense a strength heading into the season. I think he will be pushed by one or two picks and possibly Will Smith but like Bequettes chances if we don't go with a top pick.

Probably cut, two years is a long time to show something, anything. He's not even memorable on ST.

Michael Buchanon on the other hand I have some hopes for. He showed talent, just lacked proper discipline and needed to learn better technique.

I like Buchanan a lot, but I'm assuming Bequette is showing something to the coach and my speculation is a tackle with OLB speed (shorthand exaggeration there, but not much) after bulking up.

Rob Ninkovich = 6 years to a season with over 23 tackles.

For the record, I was all over Buchanan as soon as I saw him. He's light, but he's so limber as a pass blocker and rusher, I'm assuming, if he bulks up.

I think the pass rusher class is weak as hell this year, too. I think Ealy and Dee Ford could get pushed up well past where they'd land in a different draft. Still hope Will Smith works out.

How the hell did I misspell Ninkovich's name? Google asked if I wanted to spell it Nincovich for some reason while I was researching. Anyway, I blame google for messing with me.:p

Bequette and Buchanon. Both afterthoughts when it comes to Patriot lore. Like many before and still to come after I believe neither ever have any real impact on this franchise. Tough guys to line up against on the practice field, but in the end they will make the "next man up" even better through competition.

I believe their destiny residedes more in the realm of making other players on this squad better than actually contributing. They may have small impactful careers elsewhere, but will otherwise become a member of a long list of "could've been's" in the hearts and minds of most of us diehard fans.

When it comes to Bequette I harken back to what Andy Katzenmoyer could have turned out to be, and he's never even shown that much promise. If I have to eat my words saying this then I would be all the happier, but I don't see it happening.

As for Buchanon, if he hasn't peaked with his 9 tackles and 2 sacks I would be elated, but I ain't bettin' the farm. If he turns out to be our David Givens defensive type 7th round stud I'd call Bill a genius, but then again if he fizzles out and disappears, well, I still think Bills a genius.

A thread about Bequette, that starts off with

Obviously, I didn't post this to start a "he sucks" turdfest

is probably a bad case of wishful thinking.

A thread about Bequette, that starts off with

is probably a bad case of wishful thinking.

Actually pleasantly surprised at the mature responses. If they draft Hageman, my speculative theory collapses, but Bequette's still here for some reason and a current exaple of a player that took 3 times as long to hook on exists (nink).

Nink could long snap at least

Actually pleasantly surprised at the mature responses. If they draft Hageman, my speculative theory collapses, but Bequette's still here for some reason and a current exaple of a player that took 3 times as long to hook on exists (nink).

People are hoping beyond hope, Ray. That's all it is. And you're way off on Ninkovich. He actually saw the field and compiled stats as a rookie.

I haven't watched nearly the amount of college games this year as in most years (probably because I wasn't sportsbetting like in the past), but from what I understand Hageman seems to be quite raw, and had periods where he got lost against some mediocre competition.

He's also significantly older than say, Tuitt, I believe by almost 3 full years.

I don't know if this would matter at all, but I'm just throwing some stuff I've heard and read about lately in the conversation.

People are hoping beyond hope, Ray. That's all it is. And you're way off on Ninkovich. He actually saw the field and compiled stats as a rookie.

Still the King of technicalities in argument.

Yes, he had two tackles in 2006, one in 2007 and zero between two teams in 2008.

I haven't watched nearly the amount of college games this year as in most years (probably because I wasn't sportsbetting like in the past), but from what I understand Hageman seems to be quite raw, and had periods where he got lost against some mediocre competition.

He's also significantly older than say, Tuitt, I believe by almost 3 full years.

I don't know if this would matter at all, but I'm just throwing some stuff I've heard and read about lately in the conversation.

He is raw and a conversion from tight end. He's considered a boom or bust candidate. Tuitt might fill the same role.

I mentioned Hageman specifically because he would be a bit of a project with a lot of upside athletically, meaning they likely wouldn't continue developing another project if he wasn't ready by now.

Still the King of technicalities in argument.

Yes, he had two tackles in 2006, one in 2007 and zero between two teams in 2008.

Technicalities? Dude, Nink was on the field making plays in years one and two, he was active for 15 games in year four (and registered a sack), got a multi-year contract extension in year four, and he was a starter by year five. He didn't take 3 times as long as Bequette.

That's not technicalities. That's you being flat out wrong.

He is raw and a conversion from tight end. He's considered a boom or bust candidate. Tuitt might fill the same role.

I mentioned Hageman specifically because he would be a bit of a project with a lot of upside athletically, meaning they likely wouldn't continue developing another project if he wasn't ready by now.

If Belichick sees Hageman as a fit, and that may certainly depend on what's available or if they find any trading partners, then I'd be excited about adding a young player on the line with some upside for sure.

I'm just wondering out loud if maybe he ends up being a little too much of a gamble for the usual "sure thing" safer kind of picks that Bill normally likes to make, that's all.

Good point about Bequette's future--or lack thereof, should we take a prospect like that on the line, although I must admit that I'd have to lean towards feeling that his future here isn't looking too great. As you noted, maybe he's been progressing and the staff likes what they see, but his lack of playing time alone is enough to warrant serious concern after 2-3 yrs.

I beleaved when they drafted him, they would red shirt him for a year to become a 3-4 DE. He reminded me alot of Justin Smith ( 9ers) and thats still the way i see him going.

I beleaved when they drafted him, they would red shirt him for a year to become a 3-4 DE. He reminded me alot of Justin Smith ( 9ers) and thats still the way i see him going.

I couldn't imagine the thought of a hidden gem like that. It would be insane.

The approach I take to all of the Patriots draft picks is to not expect anything from them until they show me what they may be capable of. At this point, I don't expect contributions from Bequette or Buchanan until proven otherwise.

Ninkovich and Jones are both fantastic footballers who need rotational help. DT/DE is still a major need not knowing the status of Armstead (unproven) and the returning from injury pairing of Wilfork and Kelly.

He has not even gotten on the field, likely will be cut this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents