PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jabar Gaffney released. Will we sign him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's so good, why was he released? He is several years removed from being a good, but not great, receiver for the Pats. They didn't retain him either when they had the chance. We already have a couple of good, but small receivers. We need a big, fast outside receiver or two. I'd rather see what the new blood brings.

Should we have picked up Woodhead after the Jets released him, if he was any good they would have kept him, right?

No competent organization make decisions on the judgment of others when they have the ability to make their own judgment.

As far as them not retaining, they might not have felt he was worth the money, and on that they might have been wrong?

Does he represent a potential upgrade to what we have right now? That's all that matters, if he does then they should take a closer look.

You might want a big, fast outside receiver, exactly who are these young studs lining up for a shot to make the team? Give me names please.

Last edited:
What the hell is taking so long for this to happen? Shouldn't we have signed him up by now? :confused2:

Why hasn't anything post draft been announced?

Sign everyone. If they are good - good.
If they are less than good - camp bodies.

If he's so good, why was he released? He is several years removed from being a good, but not great, receiver for the Pats. They didn't retain him either when they had the chance. We already have a couple of good, but small receivers. We need a big, fast outside receiver or two. I'd rather see what the new blood brings.
Not in particular. We need a receiver who can come in and immediately produce. Gaffney is a very good receiver. Just because he doesn't have a household name doesn't mean diddly squat.

I'd like to win now. Anyone who can contribute to that is welcomed.

Last edited:
if we do sign gaffney......he will be the 2nd most productive receiver on the team next year

Stallworth isn't new blood. Neither is Ocho. We didn't keep JAB because our OC got a HC job and he wanted him and offered him a 4 year $10M deal to help him run this offense in Denver. He got traded to Washington after Josh got canned because they were running a different offense which eventually became the seat of Tebow's pants offense... God only knows what the Shannahan Family is going to run with RGIII (or Cousins) in Washington this season but it likely isn't going to be something that requires a lot of reads...

Brady wants JAB back, just like he wanted Branch back because he knows what he can expect with those guys and they know what he expects from them. Ditto Welker. It remains to be seen if he and Lloyd will make that level of connection although the fact that he knows the system and has performed better in it than any other he's been asked to perform in is encouraging. JAB overtook Stallworth the last time they were on this roster together. And the Redskins had little use for Donte, either... Gonzo has yet to show he can stay on the field in any system. Edleman is a PR and backup WR. Ocho is in year two of his 3 year deal that had they not oddly signed him to one at 33 he wouldn't be here anymore. The other developmental receivers can learn while on the PS...

They will know what they have in each of these guys by the end of August. What logical point would there be to limit your options before that when 3-4 of the guys presently under contract may not show enough to make the 2012 53 man roster unless you have no other option??? :ugh:

That would be beautifull.

Jabar Gaffney is one of my all time favorite Patriots, no lie.

He was Cosmic in the 2006 PlayOffs, almost single-handedly keeping our Pass Offense going in that unspeakable year. And he was CLUTCH. He caught 869 3rd-and-longs for 1st Downs in that Divisional game against San Diego alone. I counted. :D

Seriously: He was CLUTCH.

Wes Welker says: Folks who rank on'm for one dropped pass ought to be boiled in oil. :)

* I actually mocked'm in my Mock as a signee....

SE Jabar Gaffney
SE Donte Stallworth

SL Wes Welker
SL Anthony Gonzalez

FL Brandon Lloyd
FL Deion Branch

Looks like there's plenty of room to me. :cool:

In fact, his addition would be perfect.

In case anyone's wondering: I've got Julian Edelman slotted as a D Back, even though he's pretty much a 9 Position guy!!
jester.gif

I'm with you, to a point, but some of these guys would have to play special teams. In practice, I think we're more likely to see someone who makes ST contributions getting the #6 spot over Stallworth.

I've been clamoring for this siging for awhile now, and I think it'd be a great one.

The reason he was not resigned when he hit FA is due to what Mo said, the fact that our former OC wanted to overpay for him.

He had been making approx. 1 million per prior to DEN's signing at 2.5 million per; that is obviously quite a difference.

It's possible that it was a combination of NE undervaluing him coming off of an 18-1 season, AND Denver and JMcD overpaying for him too.

Nevertheless, as many have pointed out, he'd be an instant upgrade here due to his knowledge of the system and rapport with TFB.

Stallworth isn't new blood. Neither is Ocho. We didn't keep JAB because our OC got a HC job and he wanted him and offered him a 4 year $10M deal to help him run this offense in Denver. He got traded to Washington after Josh got canned because they were running a different offense which eventually became the seat of Tebow's pants offense... God only knows what the Shannahan Family is going to run with RGIII (or Cousins) in Washington this season but it likely isn't going to be something that requires a lot of reads...

Brady wants JAB back, just like he wanted Branch back because he knows what he can expect with those guys and they know what he expects from them. Ditto Welker. It remains to be seen if he and Lloyd will make that level of connection although the fact that he knows the system and has performed better in it than any other he's been asked to perform in is encouraging. JAB overtook Stallworth the last time they were on this roster together. And the Redskins had little use for Donte, either... Gonzo has yet to show he can stay on the field in any system. Edleman is a PR and backup WR. Ocho is in year two of his 3 year deal that had they not oddly signed him to one at 33 he wouldn't be here anymore. The other developmental receivers can learn while on the PS...

They will know what they have in each of these guys by the end of August. What logical point would there be to limit your options before that when 3-4 of the guys presently under contract may not show enough to make the 2012 53 man roster unless you have no other option??? :ugh:

Always liked Jab. Everytime I see BrandonTate or Slater play a WR, I cringe.

Pats should bring him in, and let the best WRs keep their contracts. Rest, cut them..

I'm with you, to a point, but some of these guys would have to play special teams. In practice, I think we're more likely to see someone who makes ST contributions getting the #6 spot over Stallworth.

I certainly think you're right, although one of the ST spots could possibly go to Edelman, depending upon where we'd consider his position.

if we do sign gaffney......he will be the 2nd most productive receiver on the team next year

if he's more productive than either lloyd or welker then some things will have gone wrong

if he's more productive than either lloyd or welker then some things will have gone wrong

Absolutely.

But he would be a great guy to have in case one of the top 2 did go down for any length of time.

I think the WR core would be sick with:

1.Welker
2.Llyod
3.Gaffney
4.Branch
5.Chad Johnson
6.One of Stallworth, Gonzalez

Obviously counting Edelman and Slater for other positions or ST only

Absolutely.

But he would be a great guy to have in case one of the top 2 did go down for any length of time.

I think the WR core would be sick with:

1.Welker
2.Llyod
3.Gaffney
4.Branch
5.Chad Johnson
6.One of Stallworth, Gonzalez

Obviously counting Edelman and Slater for other positions or ST only

I agree though i think Ebert might make the roster for ST too. It would be one hell of a competitive camp.

I agree though i think Ebert might make the roster for ST too. It would be one hell of a competitive camp.

Sure would be. That's obviously a very good thing, and would provide us with many options via depth and competition.

Jacoby Jones is also free to sign anywhere after Houston let him go

He is not bad on STs as a returner,so maybe the team might take a look at him as well

Jacoby Jones is also free to sign anywhere after Houston let him go

He is not bad on STs as a returner,so maybe the team might take a look at him as well
A lot of things are falling right into the Pats' lap right now. I hope they don't let these opportunities slip by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News