PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jabar Gaffney released. Will we sign him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As awesome as this...

lipstick_lesbians_kiss_jpg2.jpg

-Jamman

Last edited:
I think the fact that Moss is no longer on the team makes it entirely possible both could make the roster and would play different roles, if Gaffney signs that is.

I don't think so. At least without dumping both Branch and Ochocinco and Gonzalez. The Pats are not going to carry 5-6 WRs who don't play special teams (ok, Welker plays some special teams but mostly fair catch situations on punt returns). If Gaffney was added to make the final 53 man roster, I am guessing at most only one of the following receivers makes the final roster: Stallworth, Branch, Ochocinco, Gonzalez.

Report: Redskins release WR Jabar Gaffney

If I am not mistaken the Pats still have three roster openings under the current 90-man limit after the draft and the UDFA signings. To me there is a greater probability of Gaffney being productive than Stallworth, Gonzalez, and a couple of other guys. Even though the Pats have plenty of wide receivers on the roster currently, I think he would be a better option than most of the other WRs.

Report: Redskins release Jabar Gaffney

Gaffney lead the Redskins in receptions, yards and touchdowns in 2011

Gaffney is better than Gonzalez, Ocho, Underwood, Stallworth, and probably better or on par with Branch, I hope we bring him in to be the #3/#4 WR.

This one seems like a complete no-brainer to me.

Usually that would mean it's not going to happen. But this year we signed Brandon Lloyd who everyone was asking for all offseason, and then we actually drafted DE and LB with our 1st and 2nd round picks! So maybe there's hope!

That would be beautifull.

Jabar Gaffney is one of my all time favorite Patriots, no lie.

He was Cosmic in the 2006 PlayOffs, almost single-handedly keeping our Pass Offense going in that unspeakable year. And he was CLUTCH. He caught 869 3rd-and-longs for 1st Downs in that Divisional game against San Diego alone. I counted. :D

Seriously: He was CLUTCH.

Wes Welker says: Folks who rank on'm for one dropped pass ought to be boiled in oil. :)

* I actually mocked'm in my Mock as a signee....

SE Jabar Gaffney
SE Donte Stallworth

SL Wes Welker
SL Anthony Gonzalez

FL Brandon Lloyd
FL Deion Branch

Looks like there's plenty of room to me. :cool:

In fact, his addition would be perfect.

In case anyone's wondering: I've got Julian Edelman slotted as a D Back, even though he's pretty much a 9 Position guy!!
jester.gif

hmmm.

Pats have a third TE and at least one FB.
They really should be at five WR, but have recently kept six.

Slater is one of those. He's classified at WR. If you say don't count him, he counts elsewhere, and you are back to five max.

Welker
Lloyd
Branch
Edelman
Slater
Stallworth
Johnson/Ochocinco
Underwood
Ebert
Davis
Add Gaffney

Let's assume Welker, Lloyd, and Branch are pretty likely right now, due to system familiarity and performance. Then add Slater for ST. Edelman is the PR, and the kind of team guy Belichick likes.

If you keep Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Gaffney, that's a pretty old WR corps. Have to be concerned with injuries, and not much speed at all.

So:
Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Slater
+ 2 of:
Edelman (PR)
Gaffney
Stallworth
Gonzalez
Ochocinco/Johnson
Underwood
Ebert

That really leaves no younger WR. You write off Gonzalez and Underwood, possibly Edelman.
Probably a minimal update over Stallworth, Gonzalez, and Ocho, but debatable.

Jab cut you say...

in-which-bert-decides-to-kill-you.gif

Gaffney has know for awhile that the Redskins were thinking of
releasing him. Don't be surprised if his agent contacted the Patriots at that time. If so, he could sign shortly.

All this kvetching about our WRs. Given the nature of the contact sport known as football, the injury history and age issues of the contenders and the position competition BB strives to create, summer training camp will solve the who makes it as WR conundrum quite nicely.

Brady talking about Jabar Gaffney:

”Jab could do everything well. I think that’s his versatility, he’s got good size, he’s got long arms, he’s got good speed, he’s got good quickness, he plays every position, he’s smart. He’s just one of those guys that, from the day we got him here, he was just so reliable and dependable because he knew what to do and he did it well. You gain a lot of trust from the quarterback when all those things matchup. I was bummed when he went to Denver and I was bummed when he went to Washington...

Now?

Nah, he's water under the bridge. Let's move on.

Jacoby Jones is also out there now. Guy's got some serious speed... would be an awesome deep threat if he could catch.

Nah, he's water under the bridge. Let's move on.

He had 68 receptions last year, with Grossman and Beck throwing him the ball. Why move on from that if you can get him?

If he's so good, why was he released? He is several years removed from being a good, but not great, receiver for the Pats. They didn't retain him either when they had the chance. We already have a couple of good, but small receivers. We need a big, fast outside receiver or two. I'd rather see what the new blood brings.

What the hell is taking so long for this to happen? Shouldn't we have signed him up by now? :confused2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes