Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Wes Welker

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as a draft fan, I have a difficult time parting with picks for veteran players (of course with some exceptions). Actually, because of the depth in this draft on day one, I'd like to have another second-rounder -- not trade the one we own. But I understand the importance of ST as a whole, and more specifically -- the battle of field position.

He is a playmaker on punt returns and a decent (not great) kick returner. As a receiver, forget his 60 receptions with the Fins. In this offense I can't see anyone running away with the team lead in receptions, so he'd only be part of the mix. And he's not a deep threat -- he's a YAC-type player...there's a huge difference between the two.

His character and work ethic is certainly a good fit. The Pats have lots of film on him going back to his days with Texas Tech (we drafted his QB -- Kliff Kingsbury).

Finally, I won't argue with any new acquisitions BB & Pioli decide to add. I'd like to keep our #60 pick because of the talent that may be available. But Welker would upgrade the PR game and add some to the receiving corps. Therefore I'd consider him a positive addition.

I think aside from being a wr, the biggest help Welker will give is as a punt returner. That position has been hurting for years. Hobbs has done a good job as a kick returner and Welker should help.

But when's the last time the Pats had a punt return for a td? I think it's troy brown in the playoffs, but I could be wrong. Can anyone shed light on that?

Our starting CB was KR in the playoffs. I think Hobbs is better at it than Maroney, but I'd rather find someone else.

I don't worry about the KR's getting hurt, it's the punt returners who are much more likely to get destroyed. I'm fine with Hobbs at KR because he'll be getting his breathe while the offense is on the field.

Last edited:
Our starting CB was KR in the playoffs. I think Hobbs is better at it than Maroney, but I'd rather find someone else.
Well its a concern having your starting CB as your KR, but Hobbs was absolutely explosive in that role. He was a threat to take it to the house on every kick. I'd like to see him keep the role.

I don't worry about the KR's getting hurt, it's the punt returners who are much more likely to get destroyed. I'm fine with Hobbs at KR because he'll be getting his breathe while the offense is on the field.

townes! Haven't seen you around these parts at all. And I kinda miss being over there (miss your posts). Maybe I'll try and visit before the draft. :)

BTW, I'm Cree. :eek:

Wes Welker isn't worth a 2nd, not to me. I'd need a much more skilled reciever for a second.

I voted no because this is a very very very strong draft this year.

Put it this way, who would you rather have, Marcus MacAuley or Wes Welker?

I'd rather have MacAuley.

The only player I can imagine possibly wanting or needing with that 2nd rounder is Stewart Bradley, who is rated far higher by the people here than people elsewhere and could fall to #93 anyway, or David Harris, who would probably be gone by that point anyway. The talent level between low second and low third is about the same this year, it really is quite a deep draft. So no, I would vastly prefer Welker to a second-round pick.

Besides, our most recent 2nd-round picks:

Chad Jackson
Marquise Hill
Bethel Johnson
Deion Branch

Three receivers, none of whom are still on the team, and a bust DE (so far). Welker is a proven talent who is only getting better. It's not even close.

EEI is reporting that the Patriots have in fact offered Welker a deal.

I like him but not for a 2nd rounder so if this is true I hope Miami matches

He is definitely worth a 2nd rounder, everyone knows how important troy brown is to our offense and has been on ST. i think they see welker as the replacement for brown because he has similar skills and is said to be very tough so to bring in a proven wr with strengths to match our offense its worth a 2nd rounder. he is the closest thing to a white Troy brown:rocker:

Anybody who doesn't think Wes Welker is worth a low 2nd rounder is nuts. We were double-teaming him last year and he was still beating us. He's an outstanding receiver and special teamer, upgrading us in two areas of extreme need. The guy can even kick field goals. The downside is what... we don't get a second-round player? We already know Welker is good. All draft choices are crap shoots. You think Belichick wants to waste his time all summer wondering if a second-round receiver is going to learn his routes or not? He doesn't have to worry with Welker. Just throw the guy out there. The certainty you get with a free agent is worth several rounds by itself...

Anybody who doesn't think Wes Welker is worth a low 2nd rounder is nuts. We were double-teaming him last year and he was still beating us. He's an outstanding receiver and special teamer, upgrading us in two areas of extreme need. The guy can even kick field goals. The downside is what... we don't get a second-round player? We already know Welker is good. All draft choices are crap shoots. You think Belichick wants to waste his time all summer wondering if a second-round receiver is going to learn his routes or not? He doesn't have to worry with Welker. Just throw the guy out there. The certainty you get with a free agent is worth several rounds by itself...

Amen:rocker:

Best first post ever.

Well, the offer sheet has been tendered, so we'll see if the Dolphins match. If the Patriots forfeit their second rounder, they don't have any picks between 28 and 93. I would expect them to trade one or both first rounders and pick up a handful of picks in the 40-55 range.

quote]
In that vein, possible trading partners, IF Pats give up a 2nd for Welker and opt to move #28 to get more picks.....(draft point value in parenthesis)
--------------------------------------------------------
SF pick to NE #42 (480) and #76 (210) 2nd and 3rd rounder 690 points
NE to SF #28 (660) and #165 (25.4) 1st and 6th 685.4 points
-----------------------------------------
Buf to NE #43 (470) and #74 (220) 2nd and 3rd 690 points
NE to Buf #28 (660) and #165 (25.4) 1st and 6th 685.4 points
-----------------------------------------------------------
ATL to NE #44 (460) and #75 (215) 2nd and 3rd 675 points
NE to ATL #28 (660) and #187 (16.6) 1st and 6th 676.6 points
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Minn to NE #41 (490) and #72 (230) 2nd and 3rd 720 points
NE to Minn #28 (660) #123 (49) #187 (16.6) 1st,4th,6th 725.6 points
------------------------------------------

Would any of these teams trade with NE??? A rebuilding team like SF needs bodies but if they find themselves with a player that they love, they might be inclined to trade up like Buffalo did last year IIRC. Then again a team like Minn or Atl might think that they are only a player or two away and might be inclined.
Atl is the most intringing as they might be more likely to be dazed and amazed by the thought of another first round pick ( at the cost of a 2 and a 3) ...After all, they think Michael Vick is an NFL QB so anything is possible.
This would give the Pats a 1st,2nd,3rd,3rd,4th,6th,7th, and any compensatory picks (which can't be traded....)
Just food for thought...............

Last edited:
Deion Branch signed a 6 year 39M contract and we get a first.

Wes Welker signed a 7 years 38.5 contract and we give up a second.

Even with the draft picks I don't think this makes sense.

Deion Branch signed a 6 year 39M contract and we get a first.

Wes Welker signed a 7 years 38.5 contract and we give up a second.

Even with the draft picks I don't think this makes sense.
I think everlong has the best comparison. Wes Welker is the new Deion Branch. Same size, weight, quickness, speed. Welker, unlike Branch, is a factor in the return game, and for his size is a tenacious downfield blocker. Gets YAC too.

So the question is, is Welker worth the Deion Branch ass-end 2nd round pick, plus the Deion Branch contract? Man am I ever on the fence on that. I'd really like to see the contract. Is that $38.5 million what we'd have to pay, or what Miami would?

Hell, yes. During each of the Pats/Dolphins the past two seasons, I've said to my Pats watching buddy that I wish we had Welker. I don't say that about many players. He's a proven, versatile 25 year old player who can help now compete for a Lombardi.

P S And we've seen that he can placekick. Are you kidding me? We're going to love this guy!!

I think everlong has the best comparison. Wes Welker is the new Deion Branch. Same size, weight, quickness, speed. Welker, unlike Branch, is a factor in the return game, and for his size is a tenacious downfield blocker. Gets YAC too.

So the question is, is Welker worth the Deion Branch ass-end 2nd round pick, plus the Deion Branch contract? Man am I ever on the fence on that. I'd really like to see the contract. Is that $38.5 million what we'd have to pay, or what Miami would?

Miami...............................

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye