Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Wes Welker

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
His career trajectory also looks like it's still heading upwards.

Wow!
Great Poll!
All the knowlegeable Patriots fans are voting Yes on this one!

Welker is a much better KR than you give him credit for. The Dolphins kick return blocking was bad.

Also, why do you think that Welker's receiving skills are limited? He had 687 yards on 67 receptions with 285 yards coming after the catch (that's 41% of his yards after the catch). I think that Welker's has very good hands and is the type of player that Troy Brown was back in 2001.

Welker was the target of passes 100 times last year and caught 67 of them. Now, he did have 4 drops. But he didn't fumble at all.

I think people sometimes forget that ST are 1/3 of the 3 phases of the game. :D

Watching the DVDs of 2001, Troy definitely has lost a step. You can see it.

Sure! I'd rather see them sign Curtis but Welker would be OK.
Beside we might be able to trade #28 for a 2nd this year and next.

34 votes in, and its tied 50-50.

Hypothetically, if we have like 12 draft picks, they can't all make the team. Maybe we are going to trade up back into the 2nd round, or trade them into next year. Who knows?

Last edited:
Drew Bennett signing with the Rams, takes one more WR off the market.

Right. If this was a Patriot who had 67 catches the year before (and was a great special teamer... think a young Troy Brown), you guys would be going ballistic if we lost him for a 2nd round pick.

No one who's around at 60 is going to catch 60 balls next year.

By the way, this is all great in theory... but even if the Patriots sign Welker to an offer sheet (hasn't even happened yet), the Dolphins still get a chance to match. Unless the Patriots use poison pill provisions to pick him up, I don't think Welker will be a Patriot.

id love it! $20 million bonus if you play more than 6 games in FL!

I voted yes due to the fact that I know what Welker can do, and because the Patriots 2nd round pick seems to be a crap shoot at best.

Count me on being among those who would grab him. I have been pretty vocal about getting him and I'm pleased to see BB agrees with my evaluation. :D Those who question his receiving skills clearly weren't watching the last 4 games he played against us. I think we was the best offensive player in each of those 4 games, or at least one of the best

The key to his value is his VERSITILITY. He fills 4 potential rolls. Slot receiver, PR, KR, and Punt coverage. If the pick was in the earlier part of the round, I might go a different direction. However at the 60th pick, I have to take the shot, especially if Brown retires.

If the Pats succeed in getting Welker, I believe it will be more of a sure thing that the Pats will trade down with one of the first round picks and grab who they want a lot earlier in the second, and not have to reach in the first, unless someone they REALLY like is there at 28.

Don't forget his role as backup kicker. Remember the FG and XP he made against us in 2004 when Mare got hurt?

According to ESPN, he would be a steal for a #2 draft pick. Maybe the

Pats could trade their #2 pick to Indianapolis or Chicago for their #2 pick

and another draft choice.

Last edited:
You do know what you are getting with Welker, and imagine the Run After the Catch with Brady throwing to Welker. Wow.

Can I please get a "I depends on the contract we sign him to"?

Certainly I'd give a second round draft pick for a five year deal at the league minimum in each year.

Can I please get a "I depends on the contract we sign him to"?

Certainly I'd give a second round draft pick for a five year deal at the league minimum in each year.

It'll be at least 1.3 million, as that was the Dolphins' tender. Likely, it'll be somewhere in the 2 million range, with maybe a couple phony years at the end tacked on with huge salaries or whatever if the Patriots choose to use a poison pill (that way, if the Dolphins match, they're stuck with a guaranteed contract with huge numbers at the end of it).

I say hes worth it, from everything he can do on the field to the ability to learn the system faster than a draft pick would be able to. Plus with us already having 2 first rounders we can basically get the guys we need to have an impact next season in the first round and won't need to rely on a 2nd rounder to fill a hole.

Here's another element to keep in mind:

Chad Jackson is the only Patriots receiver under contract for 2008.

A long-term contract for a proven young player could provide some desperately needed continuity to the receiving corps.

Here's another element to keep in mind:

Chad Jackson is the only Patriots receiver under contract for 2008.

A long-term contract for a proven young player could provide some desperately needed continuity to the receiving corps.

I agree, plus its on ESPN that we are signing to him an offer sheet. The new head coach has got to want to hoard draft picks, he's going to let Welker go.

Hell yes he's worth it. I was amazed by some of the stuff he did on special teams this past season (and we know how much ST is valued by this team). Plus, it means Welker returning kickoffs, not Jackson or Maroney. The 60-70 potential catches doesn't hurt either :D

And don't forget, this guy is only 25 years old. Draft picks are always a gamble, so it's better to go with the more "sure thing"

Hell yes he's worth it. I was amazed by some of the stuff he did on special teams this past season (and we know how much ST is valued by this team). Plus, it means Welker returning kickoffs, not Jackson or Maroney. The 60-70 potential catches doesn't hurt either :D

And don't forget, this guy is only 25 years old. Draft picks are always a gamble, so it's better to go with the more "sure thing"

Well, if Maroney is the franchise back, and is already getting a lot of carries, we might not see him on KR anymore. Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes