Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Wes Welker

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me on being among those who would grab him. I have been pretty vocal about getting him and I'm pleased to see BB agrees with my evaluation. :D Those who question his receiving skills clearly weren't watching the last 4 games he played against us. I think we was the best offensive player in each of those 4 games, or at least one of the best

The key to his value is his VERSITILITY. He fills 4 potential rolls. Slot receiver, PR, KR, and Punt coverage. If the pick was in the earlier part of the round, I might go a different direction. However at the 60th pick, I have to take the shot, especially if Brown retires.

If the Pats succeed in getting Welker, I believe it will be more of a sure thing that the Pats will trade down with one of the first round picks and grab who they want a lot earlier in the second, and not have to reach in the first, unless someone they REALLY like is there at 28.

yeah, if we get him, he basically replaces Troy Brown's job, even if Troy comes back for one more year.

To me, he's worth it because we have two first rounders. So basically our 2nd round draft pick would be the 28th pick overall. Plus we're a win now team, if Welker can help get us a Lombardi then why not?

There must be a FA WR out there (Stallworth) that we could sign for the same money AND keep out #2 pick?

Well, the offer sheet has been tendered, so we'll see if the Dolphins match. If the Patriots forfeit their second rounder, they don't have any picks between 28 and 93. I would expect them to trade one or both first rounders and pick up a handful of picks in the 40-55 range.

Then again, maybe BB is thinking that there aren't many jobs to be had, so stay put and take two (theoretical) better players, even if the value isn't really there.

Then again, maybe BB is thinking that there aren't many jobs to be had, so stay put and take two (theoretical) better players, even if the value isn't really there.

that's why I'm thinking dryheat.

A factor that does come into the equation is that extra year you get picking them in the bottom of the 1st round, as opposed to the 2nd round.

Well, the offer sheet has been tendered, so we'll see if the Dolphins match. If the Patriots forfeit their second rounder, they don't have any picks between 28 and 93. I would expect them to trade one or both first rounders and pick up a handful of picks in the 40-55 range.

Where did you see that the offersheet had been tendered?

I voted no because this is a very very very strong draft this year.

Put it this way, who would you rather have, Marcus MacAuley or Wes Welker?

I'd rather have MacAuley.

definitely Welker, I just get this bad vibe about McCauley. He has all the physical tools, but his coach benched him.

Good points.

How about the 'new' rules regarding rookie contract length: IIRC, first round picks can be signed to 5 years, and 2nd round+ to 4 years. Does anyone think this plays much of a role for us (i.e. - the benefit of staying put in the first in order to take benefit of the extra year of contract) in terms of trading out of the first round?

My initial reaction was lukewarm, because a second rounder is a lot to give up. However, I've thought about it some more, and it comes down to this for me:

1. Wes Welker is a Patriots player. Tough, smart, unselfish, and versatile. He'll do what it takes to win. Seems like a good guy off the field too.

2. He fits our passing offensive almost perfectly. An excellent route runner who excels at exploiting the seams in a zone defense.

3. He can make plays after the catch. The Pats need a deep threat, I think, but a playmaker would go a long way as well. Can you label any of our other receivers as a playmaker? Maybe Ben Watson at TE, but thats it.

4. He should come relatively cheap. Since he is a restricted free agent, the Patriots are essentially competing with only one other team (the Dolphins) for his services, instead of competing with every other team in the league (as they would if Welker were an unrestricted free agent). So I think this is a good opportunity to sign the guy to a 5 year deal at a very favorable price.

5. As others have stated, Welker appears to only be getting better. He is young, still improving, and will almost certainly benefit greatly from this offense and Tom Brady. In other words, he has produced well so far in his career, but has a chance to really take off here in New England.

So I am for it. The only downside is that I was hoping we would really use our day one draft picks to build depth and add youth to the defense. Losing a second round pick makes it a little tougher, but Welker is worth it, IMO.

Last edited:
I'll take your 2nd rounder all day...

It is going to kill me seeing Welker catch passes from Brady. He is that perfect Brady-Type WR that isnt a superstar but still makes plays, works hard, and doesnt drop the ball. He is a perfect WR for your spread offense.

However, for a 2nd? All day...

Oh, and if I were you guys I would still keep Maroney as the KR. Welker is dependable... in that he will always get you around 20 yards... but he is no threat as a KR.

However, as a PR... he is the man...

Our starting RB as our kick returner?

Right...

Forgot about Dillon being gone... lol

Well, I still think you should use someone else as your KR. I wanted someone else as ours while Welker was here...

The problem is that they need a receiver so comparing him to MacAuley doesn't help. They can get a WR one of three ways:
(a) draft them, and of all the positions to draft, WR is a real crap shoot
(b) trade or FA for someone's reject, like Caldwell or Gabriel or Gaffney or David Terrell. Someone who hasn't produced like Welker. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. It's a dangerous bet.
(c) pay big money for big-time talent

Welker is option (d). He costs a #2, but not big money. He's no reject with 67 catches. More like his QB's were the rejects.

Personally, I like it quite a bit, especially if they lock him up for a few years.

Our starting CB was KR in the playoffs. I think Hobbs is better at it than Maroney, but I'd rather find someone else.

There is no way in hell I would place more value in Marcus McCauley than Wes Welker. Welker is proven pro and McCauley had a mediocre season at Fresno St.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye