Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Wes Welker

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody who doesn't think Wes Welker is worth a low 2nd rounder is nuts. We were double-teaming him last year and he was still beating us. He's an outstanding receiver and special teamer, upgrading us in two areas of extreme need. The guy can even kick field goals. The downside is what... we don't get a second-round player? We already know Welker is good. All draft choices are crap shoots. You think Belichick wants to waste his time all summer wondering if a second-round receiver is going to learn his routes or not? He doesn't have to worry with Welker. Just throw the guy out there. The certainty you get with a free agent is worth several rounds by itself...

A-freakin-men.

i was sorry to see the chargers try and sneak him onto their practice squad and let the dolphins steal him.

i think given the fact you have two 1st round picks, he's worth your 2nd

IMO he becomes your #1 wr.

he's very talented, AND he's a very good kick returner

pats are having quite a good weekend.

I've been wanting Welker all along. His first yr out of the box, he killed us. Remember the game in '04 when we had all the ST penalties in the 2nd half? Welker ran wild on us. I was saying, "who the h*** is that guy." '05 wasn't much better, and lately we've practically been game planning for him. No accident we signed Mickens before the Mia. game in '06. The kid is a shifty runner, never seen us get a good lick on him. He'll be an excellent slot guy and PR. Surprised to here he's only 25.

Last edited:
I think it's more the second rounder combined with the salary numbers, so everyone has something to panic about :) I know I'm fine with giving up the second, but then the contract sounds a little crazy (I know, I know, poison pill and all of that, but until we hear something we'll all continue to run in circles screaming).

Jeez, it would have been nice to know that :D

With 400 + posts and most of them on the draft, I thought you would've figured it out by now. I knew you were DW right away. :D

Every time I saw Welker play last season, I thought he looked pretty darn good. He'd be great for us out of the slot me thinks.

No.. I don't think he is. I like the guy, but man, I am not sure he is worth a second. Maybe he will surprise me, and I hope he does.

Yes. Considering How slowly WRs can take to progress we need good WRs NOW not in 3-4 years.

I guess we can expect Felger to come down on the "no" side. Tomase said this in response to whether or not Welker is worth a second, in the Herald blog comments:

Hey Chris. I’ve argued with Felger about this. I think Welker is worth a second round pick. If you had the choice of drafting an unproven college player or a guy who’s only entering his fourth year who caught 67 passes last year while playing with a couple of crappy QBs, who would you choose? The certainty of Welker’s track record wins it for me.

He didn't mention the salary breakdown though, this is the information I really want to know.

Dolphin fans are saying that they will miss his ability to create seperation :cool: and get open. They feel he was their best weapon on offense last year. Can I vote yes twice?

That possible contract I saw made me feel uneasy. I think it is worth it to give up a #2 for Welker. He looks good from the games I saw him watch. Though I dont know about this contract, it is a good addition. With Jackson problably going to be out for some time with that ACL and Brown possibly retiring, we need a solid WR to step in with Caldwell and Gaffney. I'd rather have a group of hard working productive recievers than a superstar prima donna like Moss.

I think it's more the second rounder combined with the salary numbers, so everyone has something to panic about :) I know I'm fine with giving up the second, but then the contract sounds a little crazy (I know, I know, poison pill and all of that, but until we hear something we'll all continue to run in circles screaming).
At most, I would have offered 7 years/$24.5 million for Wes Welker.

Don't do it.

I think what's being overlooked is, what is BB's value of a second round pick?

Dillon cost us a second and was worth every penny. Second-rounder Branch was a gem while here, so much so we doubled our investment by gaining #24 this draft. Bethel was drafted to be the stretch-the-field receiver and primary KR -- he failed to develop.

Now with Welker, the assumption is he'll be more of a playmaker as the punt returner than Bethel was on kicks. In addition, Welker needs zero time to develop as a receiver -- as we know what he can do. I mentioned earlier, with so much film on the guy, BB and our OC will know exactly how to use his skills in the offense. That advantage is far more valuable to BB than the unknown development of a rookie -- regardless of position.

When comparing Welker to Bethel in terms of second round value, in BB's mind -- there's no comparison.

Yes I do get it. The Miami Dolphins will not match the offer and the New England Patriots will have overpaid for, at best, a #2 wide receiver.

you're right, Belichick and Pioli are such fools with cap money

Not much do I get to say that I see a tough/smart/hard-working player on someone else's team. I see how he could so easily fit in the Patriots' mold, but a 2nd Rounder for Welker? I'm not sure... I'm just not sure.
But then again what have we gotten out of our last 2nd round wide recievers of the past. I'd say if you want to give something to Brady for all that he's lost in the past year... Yeah.
Brady will be less frustrated, and it will seem less selfish, and more of a organizations doing the boys right htis time. Giving back for taking so much this past year.

I am just happy we are still concerned with winning, year in and year out! Excellent Job! Welker or not, lets hit on this draft and we're gold!

Yeah, it's worth it. Who knows which ever college receiver works out. We know what Welker brings to the table after being in the league for a few years (w/ some improvement expected.)

Pats are likely to regain a 2nd rounder by trading down for multiple picks. Having that extra first rounder provides a lot of flexibility. We need to win now! The team is there. There is no time for another developmental receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back