PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Maroney ready to be a full time back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He sure as hell should be.

It's no secret he hit one hell of a wall at the end of last year - it could have been the injuries. Addai clearly outplayed him down the stretch.

Can't wait to see him bounce back.

I guess you will need to adjust your signature then. :)

It's a new year.:D I was very happy with the RB, OL additions made after I adopted it.

Of course Corey is my man. I think Maroney's built differently and needs more room.

Sig will be adjusted, something to do with youth on D.

Last edited:
I wondered about Greg Jones, the guy that put the devastating hit on Dexter Reid and 2 or three other bowling pins.:D

Apparently he's a rehabbing his second ACL injury from last summer.

If he's let go he shouldn't cost much and could be a huge upside gamble.

Addai clearly outplayed him down the stretch..

Yeah, but how much of that has to do with the way teams play D against the run for the Pats and Colts respectively. Addai might've struggled in our offense and Maroney might've flourished for the Colts, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Last edited:
I think he is.

Also this offseason he gets a chance to go thru a reall NFL offseason workout regimin which should do wonders for his strength and that should help him be ready to carry that load.

Corey is my favorite RB ever but having Maroney makes his leaving easier to handle.

here is hoping Corey stays out of the AFC East as I dont want to face him twice a year.

I think he is.

Also this offseason he gets a chance to go thru a reall NFL offseason workout regimin which should do wonders for his strength and that should help him be ready to carry that load.

Corey is my favorite RB ever but having Maroney makes his leaving easier to handle.

here is hoping Corey stays out of the AFC East as I dont want to face him twice a year.

Miami has Brown and Buffalo has Mcgahee who are both full time backs so no chance he goes to either team....The Jets may,depending on what they spend if they get Adalius Thomas whom they are going to be fierce in FA at trying to sign..

Ready to be a full time back? How about ready to be a star? I don't drink kool aid and I'm not a homer that is blindly faithful to players. But I do believe Maroney will be one of the premier backs by week 8 of next season. Injuries always determine the outcome. Some may be as foolishly bold to predict he is injury prone and may not be durable enough. I choose to think otherwise since his injury was based on only one season. BTW I had a broken rib and it hurt like hell for 3 months. Breathing hurts,yawning hurts,turning your torso hurts. I can honestly assume his bruised ribs were definately part of his decline last season and am very suprised he even attempted to play if they were bruised severe enough.

He's got all the natural tools to be a RB in the NFL. Speed,power and vision. Package that with more looks catching out of the backfield and you have a complete RB who can dominate. Now we get to see the real deal. He will gain rythmm and be able to dominate a game without sharing too many reps.

Don't get me wrong,I loved Dillon and what he brought to this team. I would prefer Dillon to stay another season. He's still got plenty in the tank as evidenced last season. However I think Maroney is more than capable of carrying the load and firmly believe by midway through next season,his name will be right up there with an elite list of other RB's in the NFL.

I think he could use 1 more season of spliting the carries with another back before he gets it all turned over to him. He hasn't proven that he can handle it all just yet.

I can see Maroney being a full time back season after next. If he has no more injury problems.

Yeah, but how much of that has to do with the way teams play D against the run for the Pats and Colts respectively. Addai might've struggled in our offense and Maroney might've flourished for the Colts, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

No one is saying Addai is going to be better than Maroney down the line; Addai did look better in the second half of the season though in on field ability and execution. In terms of statistics, I agree, they go out the window with the Colts.

No one is saying Addai is going to be better than Maroney down the line; Addai did look better in the second half of the season though in on field ability and execution. In terms of statistics, I agree, they go out the window with the Colts.

I think Addai is the better player right now in his system, but Maroney I think would be doing better in that same system.

I think Addai is the better player right now in his system, but Maroney I think would be doing better in that same system.

Upright running style and shying away from contact were a couple of dings on Moroney's scouting report. We clearly saw him dance behind the LOS instead of knocking defenders on thier azzes to get 1 or 2 yards this season.
Dillion was able to produce positive yardage in the same situations.

He's is unreal once he gets into the open field....The Pats need a human bowling ball to compliment him.

I'm concerned that the 06 draft merely produced a kicker.

I agree. For one thing, most every successful NFL team these days is going with 2 backs sharing time, rather than one feature back. So I would really like to see the Patriots bring in another guy that could give Maroney some rest (and not just on third downs, like Faulk).

Yup. One feature back is one injury away from being up sh!ts creek. We need to get a good heavy to go with the speed of Maroney. K.Faulk is still good for 3rd down, but he's no regular replacement for a number one.

//

i think hes ready. He needs to learn a few things..slightly better patience and that but he made rookie mistakes..nothing serious. He'll be ready and hes getting ton of respect on other boards. Some one compared Maroney's situation to Steven Jackson's (Maroney behind Dillon..Jackson behind Faulk)

Saint fan went as far as saying Maroney > Jackson

Titan fan said :
Yeah, I might agree with that. Maroney is an animal with the ball in his hands, and Bush hasn't shown he can be a consistent running threat.

anyways, i think Maroney is ready..he needs to run a little lower..more patient. Hes got a wicked stiff arm and speed/agility/burst is all there. He doesnt go down easily for a guy who doesnt look 220.

Before the story on Dillon broke I was stating that we needed to draft a day 1 RB. Obviously, unless something happens in free agency I still hold to my previous opinion and in fact would go 2nd or 3rd round for the right back.

I really don't care how "ready" Maroney is or isn't, I don't think the Pats can afford to go into the season with Maroney/Faulk/JAG at RB. The Pats are not set....they need another good back....don't care how they get him.

My thoughts exactly. Even if Corey had hung around we still needed another RB to step in because Corey's body has been battered and bruised over the last 10 years-the writing was on the wall that his most productive years were beginning to come to a close.
In light of the recent news,however,another RB becomes a priority. Draft one? I dunno-I'd prefer one with experience and a similar up the gut capability akin to Dillon's. This would give LoMo another year under his belt plus give the Pats a chance to structure a gameplan which will make the most of LoMo's talents.
I'd like to see us re-establish a killer run game again. We dumped it last year and we need it back.

Maroney is ready to step in as the #1 back I think. However the Pats still need to look at getting a second back to share the load, preferably a physical, battering ram type guy for short yardage situations. Maroney looks like he has the ability to become the best New England RB yet, but it's always wise to carry insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST