PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Mankins play worth 6.5M more than Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is Mankins play worth 6.5M more then Connolly

Why does anyone think we can trade a guard who wants to be highest paid in the league? (or second, overpaid anyway).

I predict they'll end up dropping him right before his cameo appearance and taking the comp pick.

Yup ... the experts are already saying the teams would rather gamble they can sign him vs giving up a pick to sign him which is like paying @X the price. Especially with the uncertainty of the next draft ... if they implement the rookie pay scale teams are going to wish they had the pick back.

Last edited:

IS it a given that Mankins can walk, if he does his 6 weeks and we don't Franchise him??

I was under the impression that that depends on the structure of the new CBA...

I'm also thinking that I remember reading that it is very doubtfull whether that would go in his favor.

Am I wrong? I'm very ignorant on these matters, and I'm hoping y'all'll enlighten me?

Are you saying that you think they'll cut him and still be able to get a comp pick? I don't believe that's an option, unless that's an uncapped year exception I hadn't heard about.

You're probably right there. It is a ridiculous situation. Why are they obligated to let him play on a team he doesn't want to play for?

I'll admit i don't keep up with some of these byzantine rules.

Maybe if they have injuries they can play him and he can risk breaking his leg. I'd love for someone to list the options because I don't think anyone is signing him and compensating us this year.

Word is he'll be here for game #10 ... or whatever it is.

I caught hell here when I said Connolly would be our starting LG this preseason....

Mankins is #1!!! Then Kaczur is #2!!! You're stupid!!!!

heh...not so stupid now, eh?

Nope. Mankins overplayed his hand. Trade him to the Cowboys.

If you keep posting the same troll bait post after post you'll get banned.

Oh, wait...

PWP...it's that insane, crazed nutbag, SG 3 from JI and Gang Green. He's truly insane with jealousy...has been the same way for the past decade.

Nope. Mankins overplayed his hand. Trade him to the Cowboys.
Exactly RW you hit the nail on the head. He over played his hand and maybe has to much pride to walk it back.

Last edited:

My concern at this point is that if/when Mankins comes back in Week 10, they'll have to cut somebody to make room. It may not be worth cutting a developmental guy just to have Mankins for six weeks. Kazcur is already on the active roster.

My concern at this point is that if/when Mankins comes back in Week 10, they'll have to cut somebody to make room. It may not be worth cutting a developmental guy just to have Mankins for six weeks. Kazcur is already on the active roster.

That's a very good point ... even the 53rd player isn't worth cutting ... somebody will get the phantom injury?

Re: Is Mankins play worth 6.5 mill more then Connelly

Connolly hasn't played well.

Who are you, Mankins agent? You keep making this assertion without a shred of supporting evidence, and in the face of near universal disagreement. I've replayed every down of every game this season and preseason. Connolly is playing quite well. Perhaps not as well a Mankins at his best, but at a consistently high level nonetheless. Can you actually point us to an example or two of Connolly's failings? And please, no more generic assertions like "he's getting a lot of help". Please refer to specific plays at specific times in specific games. An example or two would do much to restore your credibility. And please, no more ad hominem arguments.

Who are you, Mankins agent? You keep making this assertion without a shred of supporting evidence, and in the face of near universal disagreement. I've replayed every down of every game this season and preseason. Connolly is playing quite well. Perhaps not as well a Mankins at his best, but at a consistently high level nonetheless. Can you actually point us to an example or two of Connolly's failings? And please, no more generic assertions like "he's getting a lot of help". Please refer to specific plays at specific times in specific games. An example or two would do much to restore your credibility. And please, no more ad hominem arguments.

I cited some examples in a different thread. And "he's getting a lot of help" is part of the problem with having a lesser LG.

If anybody knew Connelly was going to play this well, they are smarter than I am. How good is Mankins going to be if he comes back? No mini camps. No training camp. No practices period. No games. He'll be of less value than he already is. If I were Mankins I'd either fire my agent, or get a brain transplant.

I cited some examples in a different thread. And "he's getting a lot of help" is part of the problem with having a lesser LG.

What thread would that be? I'd like to go see what you said (and when). I read every thread here, and I can only recall generalities from you. Admittedly, you've been remarkably consistent and your opinion seems to be impressively impervious to anything Connolly might have more recently done.

Your assertion remains generic, and particularly questionably so. It's the nature of the numerology of interior line play that guards (and centers) are always giving and getting help. This year at least, Connolly has more than held his own in that department

If you actually study the games -- which I very much doubt -- you'd quickly observe that it is Dan Koppen who is the weak link on the line this year. By far. For example, Koppen lost the NT on the sack yesterday (to Neal's side BTW, and to be fair to Koppen, it was a delayed sack).

Connolly had a number of notably great plays yesterday. He's actually a pretty damn fine pulling guard, and managed a couple of nice reach seals yesterday, which are quite difficult blocks. Mankins has more explosion and strength and is a better drive blocker, but Connolly is actually at least as fast and agile, and is doing an excellent job at 2nd level blocks.

This is not to say I wouldn't welcome Mankins back, economics etc aside. Connolly is certainly not (yet) threatening to be an all-Pro. But he is playing quite well; a lot better than I suspect Kaczur would be playing at guard were he not injured. He's a better guard than Koppen is a center. And as Belichick always says, you need to look at the trajectory of players, particularly young players from small schools. Connolly is still improving.

If I had to guess what the basis for your vendettas vs Connolly and Gerard Warren, I'd suspect it something to do with issues you have with the front office. Both Mankins and Seymour are gone because of aggressive and questionable front office decisions. I question those decisions myself. But there's no karmic force that acts to right perceived wrongs. Connolly and Warren are who they are, good football players, both of whom are proving to be decent starters, to many peoples' surprise, and apparently to some's dismay.

Last edited:

Time to trade mankind it's now pretty obvious we can be successful without him. Spend the money on a d lineman
Exact-a-mundo. Mankins just isn't worth 6.5 million bucks more than Connolly. That money spent elsewhere (passrush?) will pay better dividends in the WIN column.

Why does anyone think we can trade a guard who wants to be highest paid in the league? (or second, overpaid anyway).

I predict they'll end up dropping him right before his cameo appearance and taking the comp pick.
Not sure I understand. They can't cut him because he isn't under contract. If he does sign his tender and they cut him, they won't get a compensatory pick.

Exact-a-mundo. Mankins just isn't worth 6.5 million bucks more than Connolly. That money spent elsewhere (passrush?) will pay better dividends in the WIN column.

That 6.5million/yr can be used to shore up our-D...

As Connolly gets more playing time, he will get more comfortable and hopefully better...

Mankins will come back for last 6games and will be on free in 2011. I'd say once he signs, we trade him for a #2...

Mankins? We don't need no stinkin' Mankins!

images

Anyone who hasn't got their head stuck way up their own backside approaching 18,000 posts (without VIP membership either) acknowledges that Mankins is the better guard and that Connolly has done more than fair in his role at LG this season.

I've been reasonably pleased with the o-line's performance this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News