PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Mankins play worth 6.5M more than Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is Mankins play worth 6.5M more then Connolly

Give Connelly the deal mankins wanted.
I love Connelly.
Especially after watching his cooking video. Lol.

Mankins worth will go up when the inevitable Neal injury occurs.

May I ask one more question, gents? Hopefully someone reading this knows...

What are the parameters, regarding RFA's?

With Mankins coming off his Rookie Contract, wouldn't we be able to make him an RFA? Or would a year long hold out blow that out?

Needless to say, my question is in the context of the old CBA, though any speculation regarding the new CBA is certainly welcome!! :D

Great news: I'm shutting my pie hole on this subject...For a few minutes, anyway!! :eek:
See my previous response (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-5m-more-then-connolly-page7.html#post2251095), but in summary ...

If nothing changes (i.e., no new CBA), the Pats will not be able to make him a restricted free agent. The rules for 2010 were that a player needed six years of accrued service to become an unrestricted free agent. In 2011 it will be five years rather than six.

The fact he is coming off a rookie contract is irrelevant, it is the number of accrued season that is the factor. The Pats would not be able to make him a restricted free agent even if he decided to hold out for the entire season.

The rules with number of years (five or six) to becoming an unrestricted free agent are part of the changes in an uncapped year. It is not widely known but there are indeed rules in place for a second uncapped year (e.g., the number of years to become an unrestricted free agent in 2011.)

Bottom line is that Mankins does not have to play at all this season to become an unrestricted free agent next year.

Last edited:
Re: Is Mankins play worth 6.5 mill more then Connelly

Well, we can see that Mike is reading this blog, anyway. I won't hold it against him that he appears to like you ;) Mike Rodak , let me add to the praise you're deservedly started to receive. Your quarter by quarter breakdowns are now one of the first things I look for post game. Keep up the great work. I'm sure kudos is also appropriate to the original Mike for encouraging you.

DI, thanks for referring to something specific, although just pointing to participation in double teams on running plays is rather uncompelling. It's a rare running play where there isn't a double team at the point of attack. What I mostly notice about Connolly is how much they pull him, and he was doing so on most all of the big gainers against the Bills. They also put him at FB in the goal line packages, and you can be sure it's not because they prefer Wendell at guard.

I'm not arguing that he's as good as Mankins, but I will argue that he's a more than decent starter, and that he still has upside.

I referred to things that could be looked at by others asking about it. If I tell you "he missed a block", but I can't cite a link because it's just on a copy of the game and not online, that would make the discussion untenable.

Also, he's not a more than decent starter, IMO, and that would help explain why he's never had a start save as an injury replacement, despite being in the league since 2005. But the point of my initial post was just to point out that the Patriots clearly feel Mankins is worth the money, since they claim to have offered him a deal in same range as Mangold. The rest is just going 'round and 'round, and it's a waste of time at this point.

Last edited:

See my previous response (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-5m-more-then-connolly-page7.html#post2251095), but in summary ...

If nothing changes (i.e., no new CBA), the Pats will not be able to make him a restricted free agent. The rules for 2010 were that a player needed six years of accrued service to become an unrestricted free agent. In 2011 it will be five years rather than six.

The fact he is coming off a rookie contract is irrelevant, it is the number of accrued season that is the factor. The Pats would not be able to make him a restricted free agent even if he decided to hold out for the entire season.

The rules with number of years (five or six) to becoming an unrestricted free agent are part of the changes in an uncapped year. It is not widely known but there are indeed rules in place for a second uncapped year (e.g., the number of years to become an unrestricted free agent in 2011.)

Bottom line is that Mankins does not have to play at all this season to become an unrestricted free agent next year.

Oh, yeah. DOY. :bricks:

I guess the RFA's were the Rookies who signed their original contracts for less than enough years to meet the UFA requirements, or who failed to accrue enough years because of injuries.

Gotcha. Thanks for you patience, Bro. ;)

So that sucks, a bit, particularly from my perspective: Obviously we can't Franchise more than one guy, and as there're no other restrictions we can place on movement ~ unless I've managed to miss something else, which is certainly possible!! ~ we can't put a clamp on Moss AND Mankins...

Then I say: DEFINITELY sign him, IF he comes back to'is senses.

Otherwise, let'm roll, and cadge a 3rd Rounder Comp Pick in 2012, if current rules still apply.

So mankins wants 7 million plus per year... Connelly I believe is playing for the minimum or close. The o-line is playing its best in a few years. Brady has never gotten sacked alot but would still get hit. He's stayed
Pretty clean this year. I personally dont want Mankins for the last 6
Games

HEY

do you still feel this way?

LMFAO........mankins is proving HE IS worth it

Is Mankins worth $7M plus a year? Yes, he is!

So mankins wants 7 million plus per year... Connelly I believe is playing for the minimum or close. The o-line is playing its best in a few years. Brady has never gotten sacked alot but would still get hit. He's stayed
Pretty clean this year. I personally dont want Mankins for the last 6
Games

OK, I'm convinced, pay the man!

I agree. Mankins makes the whole line better. Logan at LG and Connolly at RG has looked pretty solid for the most part.

Mankins has made a believer out of me. Pay him, he is worth every penny.

Connolly is out playing his contract so it's probably a lot less then 6.5M. The question should be is Mankins play worth more then Connolly's next contract?

I've warmed up a little on Mankins and would like to see him paid. However if he doesn't want to be here at the end of the year, there are always draft picks or Connolly. But I have a feeling Mankins will want to stick around for next year given where this team is at right now.

Mankins is the lynchpin to the line, losing him would be akin to losing Vince, in the end, the Pats realized this and paided Vince, I can only hope that they come to the same realization with Mankins. He is clearly making the case, that he needs to be paid and well..............

Connolly is out playing his contract so it's probably a lot less then 6.5M. The question should be is Mankins play worth more then Connolly's next contract?

huh?

connolly is easily replaceable......mankins not so much

they both have their value, mankins is a brawler who brings alot of attitude to the lane, while connolly is a great plug and play guy who can play both guard positions and center.

i personally hope we keep both of them, mankins ferocity brings alot to the run game.

the interesting o-line move with be LT, do we resign light? do we move vollmer over? do we draft a LT? what kind of impact would this move make for brady?

I'd pay Mankins whatever the hell he wants to get paid right now. You can't put a price on the attitude that he brings to the OL.

I sign Mankins to the contract that was agreed a couple of months back. Screw the apology, he's looking after Brady right now.

I also extend Connolly and pay him what he is worth.

Before anyone goes all Theo Epstein here about the relative worth of that extra $6.5 million per year:

"......And how about the chilly war of attrition up front?

New England is third on the Cold, Hard Football Facts Offensive Hog Index, our ranking of each team's offensive line. They run the ball fairly effectively (4.22 YPA), protect the passer extraordinarily well and are among the best in the league on third down (44.78%).

Patriots fans cite the return of Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins as one reason the offensive line has looked so impressive. But the unit actually ranked No. 1 on our Offensive Hog Index before he ended his holdout, with unheralded Dan Connolly filling the void. Here's guessing the plug-and-play performance of the OL without Mankins was one reason he returned earlier than expected......"

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...12/10/patriots-bears/index.html#ixzz17kQgQQ2A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back