PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Mankins play worth 6.5M more than Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is Mankins play worth 6.5 mill more then Connelly

Or more correctly, Mankins' agent thinks he is worth even more than that.

No. The Patriots offered the contract. The Patriots think he's worth even more than that.

A bit early to make a judgment, no? Or are you guys that sold on the Bengals and Jets lines being that good?

A bit early to make a judgment, no? Or are you guys that sold on the Bengals and Jets lines being that good?

The Jets and Bengals were in the top 5 D-Lines last year.

And the Bungals had Odom back as well.

The Patriots, according to Kraft, offered Mankins a deal in Mangold's range. So, the answer to your question is, apparently:

He's worth even more than that.

Just because the Patriots thought he was worth something, doesn't mean he actually is. They've regretted a few big contracts in the past.

Adalius for sure.

Thanks for this. I now know that you're opinion on line play is worthless.

Well, if you want a real example of BAD OG play look no farther than last nights' LG play on the Jets. Could have cost the vaunted SB champs the game against Miami.

Well, if you want a real example of BAD OG play look no farther than last nights' LG play on the Jets. Could have cost the vaunted SB champs the game against Miami.

Yes..... Slauson makes Connolly look like he's a quality starter in comparison. That LG position is going to bite the Jets in the ass in a lot of games this year. It certainly was a problem against the Ravens, too.

And, just think, Slauson was the 'winner' of the competition to replace Faneca.

Last edited:

Time to trade mankind it's now pretty obvious we can be successful without him. Spend the money on a d lineman

Agree 200%

Re: Is Mankins play worth 6.5M more then Connolly

If they are serious about more balanced approach to offense, Mankins is worth every penny. Pats are good at picking up blitz, its one on one match up they struggle against. And Connolly has done decent job so far but he is in no way even close to Mankins when it comes to run blocking or individual pass blocking ability. Also, I feel Mankins is even more needed as defense clearly needs offense to chew up the clock with runs. I know it sounds dumb and really obvious but less we see Pats D on the field, better it is for the team and for my heart rate.

Connolly hasn't played well.
I don't know what team you've been watching, but if what you said was true Brady would be spending a lot of time on his back. I think hes been sacked Twice in three games.

I don't know what team you've been watching, but if what you said was true Brady would be spending a lot of time on his back. I think hes been sacked Twice in three games.

I've been watching the Patriots. And one thing does not lead directly to the other.

People here calling the OL brilliant already is just as stupid as people calling the D horrendous. Its only been 3 games.

Apparently he is worth what they offered but not more than that. Without benefit of the playbook knowledge - what plays can they run with mankins that they aren't running now?

fans are sometimes too quick to anoint the new guy a success. I always say give it some time ... see if the new guy can compensate for the other teams film study as they attack his flaws. Mankins has had everything thrown at him and he remained at the top of the OL pecking order in the league.

hard to say we're better off without him until we spend his money elsewhere and see what we get for it.

People here calling the OL brilliant already is just as stupid as people calling the D horrendous. Its only been 3 games.

I agree with that. But so far the offensive line has been solid for the most part with some breakdowns. It could get worse with injuries or better as the team jells more. Only time will tell, but so far I am happy with the way they have been playing.

Thanks for this. I now know that you're opinion on line play is worthless.

Week 1 - Did the Pats run the ball well? Yes. Did Brady get hit and sacked multiple times. No.

Week 2 - Did the Pats run the ball well? Not really, though a picky holding play brought back a Taylor 38yd run. Did they pass it well? No, but that had nothing to do with the Line play other than Matt Light being turned around by Jason Taylor for the strip sack.

Week 3 - Did the Pats run the ball well? Yes. Then again, it was the Bills. Did they pass it effectively? Yes.

Rather than sarky comments, give us your worthwhile opinion on all 5 Linemen and how they've played so far.

I don't think anyone is calling it brilliant. It's been good enough to keep Brady upright and have an effective running game. You're right, it's only been three games, but it affords us the luxury of more time in the negotiations with Mankins. We don't need to overpay for him if he's not being reasonable, because we've shown that the line can hold up without him thus far.

Feed the troll if you must, but don't quote him! [not in response to the preceding post]

To my eyes, Connelly has been one of the many bright spots on offense, of which the Oline of course plays a huge part.

If you are talking about the O line, however, do not for a second underestimate the improvement that Vollmer is responsible for. When he went off yesterday, I believe a black cloud formed over Gillette, and lifted when he returned.

But is Mankins worth (more than) 6.5 more than Connolly? Hell no. I can see him getting away for nothing and frankly I could care less as a fan. Barring further injury on the O-line, I predict there is no way he plays if/when he signs the tender and comes back in week 10, and I think the team would be better off without the distraction, see Terry Glenn in 2001

Last edited:

Why does anyone think we can trade a guard who wants to be highest paid in the league? (or second, overpaid anyway).

I predict they'll end up dropping him right before his cameo appearance and taking the comp pick.

Why does anyone think we can trade a guard who wants to be highest paid in the league? (or second, overpaid anyway).

I predict they'll end up dropping him right before his cameo appearance and taking the comp pick.

Are you saying that you think they'll cut him and still be able to get a comp pick? I don't believe that's an option, unless that's an uncapped year exception I hadn't heard about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes