PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Caldwell done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does increasing your font size help you win arguments?

Anything to get solman's attention, because he has been ignoring blatant facts.

ayjackson said:
Who said anything about childress and kight? Does putting words into others' mouths help you win arguments?

If Caldwell is cut, Childress and Kight will take their place on the roster.

Would you rather have:

1) Stallworth
2) Caldwell
3) Welker
4) Washington
5) Gaffney
6) Kight

or

1) Stallworth
2) Washington
3) Welker
4) Gaffney
5) Kight
6) Childress

Over a meager $1,871,000?

Caldwell to Childress is a drop of 59 catches worth of production in 2006.

So are you saying that 61 rec is BAD? If you are saying our recieving core sucked. Maybe but, Caldwell exceeded my expectations. I am telling you, Caldwell can definitley have 75 rec if you keep him as a starter. Brady and Caldwell only had that good connection in the second half of the season.

Caldwell was (more or less) the best receiver in a grossly deficient receiving corps last year.

I attribute his performance on the field to a strong offensive line, very good coaching, and an all time great QB.

If our team had a true #1 and #2 receiver last year, he would have been very lucky to get half as many receptions.

There would also be a bunch of guys walking around Foxboro with conspicuously unadorned thumbs.

If someone could please explain to me what Caldwell has done that any other receiver in the nfl couldn't do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Then, if you could explain why you bend over backwards to defend this guy, i would like that to

He got open enough to catch more than 60 passes this past season. There are myriad receivers in the NFL who've got no shot of doing that. I hope that helps.

If Caldwell is cut, Childress and Kight will take their place on the roster.

Well, as I see it: Stalworth, Washington, Welker, Jackson, Gaffney, Draft Pick, Brown, UDFA or late rounder, Childress, Kight.

If that gets them on the roster, so be it.

Caldwell was good last year but nothing great. there was NOBODY else to catch the balls so he caught them.

I mean seriously, if you have 5 turds sitting in your backyard...1 from a cow, 1 from a dog, 1 from digger44, 1 from a bird, and one from a rat. The dog poo might look good and you might even compliment it and say that it does a good job or even go as far as defending the dog poo when it makes misteaks.

But it only looks good b/c of what you are comparing it to.
When you take it away it's still a piece of crap.

thank you.

If someone could please explain to me what Caldwell has done that any other receiver in the nfl couldn't do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Then, if you could explain why you bend over backwards to defend this guy, i would like that to

I'm afraid keegs is onto something here. And it wasn't 2 drops in just *any* game. On top of which Caldwell was cut from the receiver-hungry Chargers because he was somethings less than "clutch" if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
He got open enough to catch more than 60 passes this past season. There are myriad receivers in the NFL who've got no shot of doing that. I hope that helps.

No but it would help if you never tried to use the word "myriad" again.

Caldwell was (more or less) the best receiver in a grossly deficient receiving corps last year.

I attribute his performance on the field to a strong offensive line, very good coaching, and an all time great QB.

If our team had a true #1 and #2 receiver last year, he would have been very lucky to get half as many receptions.

There would also be a bunch of guys walking around Foxboro with conspicuously unadorned thumbs.

Which of these mythical 'true' #1 and #2 receivers was going to intercept Peyton Manning in the AFC Championship game to preserve the victory?

my logic assumes (obviously) that Reche Caldwell doesn't have a resume like Tom Brady.

You can't compare the two. Brady has proven himself time and time again.
Caldwell hasn't proven a damn thing.
Caldwell had his chance, he blew it.

Well you can compare the two. Its simple, because he did. What has Brady done these last few yrs? Done nothing but "Choke in the playoffs" and not come through in the clutch as we expect him to. Of course, I dont believe that, but if u hold Caldwell to that same type of thinking then Brady must be held to it as well. You dont see me crying for brady to be cut, because he is soooooo regressing, or have Harrison cut, just because he cant stay on the damn field. Hey, lets cut eugene as well. Hes injury prone and always gives up big plays. While we are at it, lets cut Gaffney for taking so damn long to finally catch onto this offense. Hes a dumbass. The list could go on and on and on.

Point is, you dont cut one of your top contributors for doing just that. Not to mention when they come in cheap, have upside, and only one yr in your system. Talk about a group of misguided idiots. Caldwell has developed and proven himself in this offense. What has stallworth or Washington done for us? Not jack ****. So why annoint them as starters and bash players who got thrown in the fire for us????

Not a tremendous amount. And most would command more than $1,871,000.

Keegs said:

He came in here with most people's expectations being as a 30-40 catch "JAG" pickup. He had quietly had a great little season for himself.

And now, because his 2007 cap hit is less than 2% of the Pats' total cap in 2007, he should be cut?!?!

Unless something drastic happens, he's a starting WR in 2007.

No but it would help if you never tried to use the word "myriad" again.

It would help if you'd never post again. I'll stop if you will.

There is no way Caldwell doesn't make the team. He's a hard worker and a great locker room guy. Without his catch against the Chargers...the Colt game never happens.

I'm afraid keegs is onto something here. And it wasn't 2 drops in just *any* game. On top of which Caldwell was cut from the receiver-hungry Chargers because he was somethings less than "clutch" if I remember correctly.

Reche Caldwell wasn't cut by the Chargers.

Get your facts straight. He was a free agent.

Someone tell me what he didn't do last year that would justify cutting him with a very low cap hit.

The guy was our best WR last year and he counts less against this year's cap than Sammy Morris, Jarvis Green, Kyle Brady, and Kevin Faulk. All those guys are back ups or role players.

You really need to stop looking at the cap as if it is still $85 million. If we cut Caldwell and decide to resign him or someone comprehible it will be for a larger cap hit that the $1.8 million. Caldwell could comand over $2 million a year on the open market now. Look at Dennis Northcutt got ($3.5 million a year).

Learned a new term for this thread: baggattawag

"they bump balls" in Ojibwe

BAGGATTAWAG!

Last edited:
Caldwell was good last year but nothing great. there was NOBODY else to catch the balls so he caught them.

I mean seriously, if you have 5 turds sitting in your backyard...1 from a cow, 1 from a dog, 1 from digger44, 1 from a bird, and one from a rat. The dog poo might look good and you might even compliment it and say that it does a good job or even go as far as defending the dog poo when it makes misteaks.

But it only looks good b/c of what you are comparing it to.
When you take it away it's still a piece of crap.

thank you.

And the only comparison that matters at this point is Caldwell to Kight or Childress, who will take his spot if cut. Or even Jackson, if he can come back in time. And all 4 of the aforementioned players were on the roster in 2006, and all had at least 45 less catches than Caldwell.

Come on! Caldwell is has the 18th highest cap hit on this team. Maybe before the new CBA that was too much of a cap hit, but Sammy Morris and Jarvis Green have higher cap hits than Caldwell. Wes Welker who is probably going to be the #3 WR is only $100k less of a cap hit. Chad Scott is only $500k less of a cap hit.

If we can justify paying back ups more than Caldwell, we will most likely keep our leading receiver from last season. I say Caldwell is more likely to be lining up across from Stallworth in the starting the lineup than getting cut.

It surprises me that people have greater expectations for Caldwell than for Welker.

What do you see in Caldwell?

He's not great at getting open.

He doesn't have amazing hands.

He doesn't get tons of yards after catch.

He runs decent routes and he established a rapport with his quarterback.

That makes him a JAG. Nothing more.

$1.9M is starter money, and JAGs can be had for considerably less. [see Gaffney].

Well, as I see it: Stalworth, Washington, Welker, Jackson, Gaffney, Draft Pick, Brown, UDFA or late rounder, Childress, Kight.

If that gets them on the roster, so be it.

Washington has not shown he can be a starting-quality WR. Welker is purely a slot WR.

I doubt the Pats go high with a WR draft pick. If they do, it's Gaffney who gets shown the door, not Caldwell.

I think it's becoming pretty obvious that Brown won't be coming back. If he does, it's Kight or Childress who get shown the door.

And the only comparison that matters at this point is Caldwell to Kight or Childress, who will take his spot if cut. Or even Jackson, if he can come back in time. And all 4 of the aforementioned players were on the roster in 2006, and all had at least 45 less catches than Caldwell.

We also have Jonathan Smith on the roster for $500,000. Looks like Caldwell is getting cheaper all of the time,if he's the last reciever on our roster.

It surprises me that people have greater expectations for Caldwell than for Welker.

What do you see in Caldwell?

He's not great at getting open.

He doesn't have amazing hands.

He doesn't get tons of yards after catch.

He runs decent routes and he established a rapport with his quarterback.

That makes him a JAG. Nothing more.

$1.9M is starter money, and JAGs can be had for considerably less. [see Gaffney].

Quite simply, Wes Welker WILL NOT be a "starting" wide receiver for the New England Patriots in 2007, or probably even 2008.

He is simply BEST in the slot.

I believe Welker is a better WR than Caldwell, but Caldwell will still be getting the "starting" nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back