PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Caldwell done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solman

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Folks here seem to be assuming that Caldwell and Gaffney will make the team, but with all the receiving talent that we have brought in that seems increasingly unlikely.

Caldwell will cost us nearly $1.9M in 2007. Its nice that Tom Brady is already familiar with him, but I don't think he has the talent to justify that kind of cap hit. Especially not as a fourth string receiver or worse.

I think that BB may be planning to drop Caldwell like a Tom Brady AFC Championship game pass.

I don't think Caldwell will be cut. His cap hit is not very high and he had over 700 yards receiving last year.

Folks here seem to be assuming that Caldwell and Gaffney will make the team, but with all the receiving talent that we have brought in that seems increasingly unlikely.

Caldwell will cost us nearly $1.9M in 2007. Its nice that Tom Brady is already familiar with him, but I don't think he has the talent to justify that kind of cap hit. Especially not as a fourth string receiver or worse.

I think that BB may be planning to drop Caldwell like a Tom Brady AFC Championship game pass.

I would have no problem with that. I still have a problem with him after that game.

Yes, he played pretty good throughout the year.
Yes, he made a good catch in the San Diego game.

But everything he has done are things that most nfl receivers could accomplish.

I hope we let him go. And now that you have educated me on how much he'll cost us in 2007, I hope others agree.

I'd rather have Gaffney than Caldwell as the complimentary guy. Gaffney came on in the playoffs whereas Caldwell fizzled.

I'd rather have Gaffney than Caldwell as the complimentary guy. Gaffney came on in the playoffs whereas Caldwell fizzled.

yes please.:)

I loved what I saw from Gaffney

Yes, I think Caldwell is done.

And Gaffney is CHEAP!!!

Maybe after or during training camp. I think it will be good to look at everyone, see how they work with brady, then make a decision.

If he gets beaten out that's fine. But at this point I don't think they've made a decision about his future with his team or lack thereof.

I think there is healthy competition.

People are all assuming Stallworth makes the Team. Two teams could have resigned him but didn't.

I would have no problem with that. I still have a problem with him after that game.

Yes, he played pretty good throughout the year.
Yes, he made a good catch in the San Diego game.

But everything he has done are things that most nfl receivers could accomplish.

I hope we let him go. And now that you have educated me on how much he'll cost us in 2007, I hope others agree.

Wow, the ignorance on this board pertaining to certain players is getting crazy. The (Let's lynch Caldwell crowd) is in full force like a blood thirsty mob.

If what Caldwell did last yr. was something most NFL receivers could do, then why was he the only dependable one we had. Why couldnt we find anyone else? If Caldwell shows up to camp with the attitude that he is competing for a spot on this roster, and continues to build on last yr. Then he will make this team.

You're all just jealous of those BIG beautiful eyes of his, arent you?

Solman, your posts are very entertaining. Every time I read one, recently, I find my eyes bugging out while I'm saying "What???!!!???"

Caldwell is NOT done. Unless CJ comes on like gangbusters, none of our WR core is done. We need these guys, and I can explain why in one word: Hamstring.

You're being extraordinarily quick to make judgments. I just don't see the logic in this one.

Far too early to be making any assertions.

There's a looongggg way to go before the season starts. If everyone is healthy and there's no room for additional WRs in special teams roles, a WR could be traded for value - espcecially one with a contract like Caldwell.

But BB wanted depth at WR - something he didn't have last year - as well as a deep threat. He's got it now and isn't going to give it up in March.

Besides, Washington is very much all about size (6' 3") and potential - but not proven performance. Caldwell has a leg up on him in that area.

Last edited:
People are all assuming Stallworth makes the Team. Two teams could have resigned him but didn't.

Even if (as expected) he makes the team, who's to say that he doesn't pull a Doug Gabriel? Reche has proven himself to be dependable, if largely unspectacular. He makes the roster, IMO.

Last edited:

Stallworth is getting a healthy signing bonus. That means that BB has already decided that Stallworth will make the team.

Stallworth was traded by the Saints - he wasn't a free agent.

If the Eagles re-signed Stallworth, their draft pick compensation to the Saints would be higher.

Stallworth is getting a healthy signing bonus. That means that BB has already decided that Stallworth will make the team.

$1,000,000 is a healthy signing bonus?

That's less than 1% of the cap.

I don't think so.

Let's not forget the importance of the chemistry and experience Caldwell and Brady developed together.

Caldwell won't be cut.

Next question.

If he gets beaten out that's fine. But at this point I don't think they've made a decision about his future with his team or lack thereof.

At some point (I don't know when) he will be due a $300K bonus. I would expect the Pats to make a decision at that point.

Depending on the timing of the bonus, we may have to make a decision before he gets the chance to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes