PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Caldwell done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think teams were fearing Caldwell. Lmao. Like he is T.O or something. Teams covered Caldwell like any crappy reciever. Thats why he was open. I dont even know why i responded, u got the moderator disease.

And you are being ignorant in your responses. Caldwell was drawing the opposing teams #1 CB regularly. You'd see that just watching the games. Caldwell also had very little help on the other side until the play-offs when Gaffney stepped up.

You're right about one thing. You shouldn't have bothered to respond.

To avoid having others state my beliefs for me, here is what I believe:
  1. It is more likely than not that Caldwell will be cut, traded or restructured downwards.
    I am still accepting bets from people who believe that he will be on the Patriot's opening day 53 man roster, and will be following up tomorrow with those who have already expressed interest.
  2. Talent is often poorly measured by on field statistics.
    Caldwell had 61 catches last year which was 41st best in the league, but I don't believe that he is even remotely the 41st best receiver in the league.
    Washington had 9 receptions last year, but I think there is a better than 25% chance he will be a star.
  3. Players should be cut when their roster space and salary cap space can be better spent on other players.
    Like Reche, Dillon had a solid season last year. (28th in the NFL in rushing).
    Dillon didn't do anythong wrong to deserve getting cut. He just didn't have the talent to justify the nearly $4.8M due to him this year.
  4. Compared to what we paid for him, I think that Reche Caldwell had an amazing season for us last year.
    I'm upset about his drops, but they don't play a huge role in my assesment of his talent.
    I have never disliked or hated him.
  5. Compared to most #1 receivers in the NFL, Reche's talents are poor.
    His 61 catches are primarily a consequence of his being the best receiver on a Patriot's team with a serious defficiency at receiver.
    I don't think he has a great ability to make plays after catching the ball.
    I don't think he has great hands.
    I don't think he has a great ability to get open in one on one match ups.
  6. $1.9M is more than we should pay for a receiver of Caldwell's talents.
I'm done arguing this. Football is played on the field. The 2007 season will determine who was right.

This is the last time I will visit this thread.

If you still believe that Reche will make the 53 man opening day roster without a substantial downward restructuring, and you would like to make money off of my belief to the contrary, please send me a PM with your
email address, so we can arrange a bet.

You shouldn't have started this silly arse thread to begin with. You are wrong on so many counts I don't know where to start.

1) Caldwell WILL be on this team. I got $20 that says so.

2) Your evaluation of talent is unproven and so far, tremendously lacking. '

3) You should learn more about the salary cap before talking out your arse about how money could be better spent on other players.

4) He had 1 critical drop. But it hardly was the sole reason the Pats lost the game. Your ignorant if you believe that Caldwell was the ONLY reason we lost that game. Caldwell had 1 drop on 102 targets in the regular season.

5) Caldwell was never signed to be a #1 receiver. He was signed to be the #2 opposite Branch. Why is it that people like yourself continue to ignore that. Also, to say that Reche's talents are POOR shows how ignorant your talent evaluation abilities are. Reche has good hands. Has good route-running abilities, good speed, good cutting ability, and a good ability to make plays after the catch. Just as good as Deion. Reche had 221 YAC on 61 receptions. But he also had 41 of his 61 receptions go for 1st downs.

6) The Pats aren't paying Caldwell 1.9 million in salary. That is his total cap hit. Just more proof that you don't understand the salary cap.

Last edited:
I doubt that Kelly Washington makes the team. He is the epitome of JAG.

He's not a JAG in anyway. He's not "just another guy", his production is too low to even be a JAG at this point, but on the flipside, he has 100x the upside of a JAG. So I don't see how you could call him a JAG in anyway.

This isn't David Terrell, they aren't taking a chance on highly touted guy who never amounted to anything, they're taking a chance on a highly touted guy who never had the chance to amount to anything.

Given everything Washington has said about Brady, the Pats, his desire to make the team, his willingness to play ST, I think the odds of him making the team are better than you might think.

To avoid having others state my beliefs for me, here is what I believe:

1. It is more likely than not that Caldwell will be cut, traded or restructured downwards.
    I am still accepting bets from people who believe that he will be on the Patriot's opening day 53 man roster, and will be following up tomorrow with those who have already expressed interest.

2. Talent is often poorly measured by on field statistics.
    Caldwell had 61 catches last year which was 41st best in the league, but I don't believe that he is even remotely the 41st best receiver in the league.
    Washington had 9 receptions last year, but I think there is a better than 25% chance he will be a star.

3. Players should be cut when their roster space and salary cap space can be better spent on other players.
    Like Reche, Dillon had a solid season last year. (28th in the NFL in rushing).
    Dillon didn't do anythong wrong to deserve getting cut. He just didn't have the talent to justify the nearly $4.8M due to him this year.

4. Compared to what we paid for him, I think that Reche Caldwell had an amazing season for us last year.
    I'm upset about his drops, but they don't play a huge role in my assesment of his talent.
    I have never disliked or hated him.

5. Compared to most #1 receivers in the NFL, Reche's talents are poor.
    His 61 catches are primarily a consequence of his being the best receiver on a Patriot's team with a serious defficiency at receiver.
    I don't think he has great hands.
    I don't think he has a great ability to get open in one on one match ups.

6. $1.9M is more than we should pay for a receiver of Caldwell's talents.

I'm done arguing this. Football is played on the field. The 2007 season will determine who was right.

This is the last time I will visit this thread.

If you still believe that Reche will make the 53 man opening day roster without a substantial downward restructuring, and you would like to make money off of my belief to the contrary, please send me a PM with your email address, so we can arrange a bet.

We agreed to a gentleman's bet on Caldwell. I believe I raised the bet to be "Caldwell will be on the field for the Pats offensive play of 07."

Compared to most #1 receivers in the NFL, Reche's talents are poor.
How about against the Jets when we lost? Game is ending in a few minutes and Pats are down 17-7 I think. Caldwell had guys coming down on him from behind, on each sides and he had to run forward to catch Brady's ball at the 10 and then swerve around both of them and jump into the endzone. Thats a pretty good after the catch play.

Last edited:
We agreed to a gentleman's bet on Caldwell. I believe I raised the bet to be "Caldwell will be on the field for the Pats offensive play of 07."

It appears that Caldwell has been released, and that my speculation was not nearly as idiotic as many posters in this thread believed.

In retrospect, gentleman's bets were the way to go, and accepting monetary bets on propositions like this was idiotic... especially since it requires me to keep records of the bets.

Other than my bet with Miguel over the Colts in 2008-2010, I do not have adequate records for any of my monetary bets.

If we said that we would bet over Caldwell, but never finalized language (One of us sends the other the language, and the other sends an email agreeing) then we didn't have a bet. You don't have to worry about paying me or me calling you a welcher.

If we did exchange confirmation emails, then you are on your honor to pay me.
I will similarly honor any bets that I have forgotten about, provided that the other party has copies of both emails.

For all other bets, I ask that the other parties contact me this week via PM or email, or forever hold their peace.

It appears that Caldwell has been released, and that my speculation was not nearly as idiotic as many posters in this thread believed.

Hey, I have to man up, you won the bet - I am genuinely surprised he was released. While I should point out we made the bet before the addition of Moss or Stallworth, I still would've made the bet after those additions, and the bet took into account the assumption we would pick up some FA wideouts anyway. So I was wrong. Nonetheless, I'm truly surprised he won't be on the squad next season, no matter the talent we picked up in the offseason.

Last edited:
I am surprised at Caldwell release as well. Honestly, I still am waiting to be impressed by Washington on special teams. From what I have seen, he's just NOT a good gunner. I'd rather have Hobbs and Andrews out there.

I must say I'm surprised not only by this, but by all the weirdness surrounding cut down day.

I am surprised at Caldwell release as well. Honestly, I still am waiting to be impressed by Washington on special teams. From what I have seen, he's just NOT a good gunner. I'd rather have Hobbs and Andrews out there.

There's not much reason you should be surprised. He was running with the 2's for a good portion of the pre-season. And Washington progressed and saw a good amount of time with the starters, certainly ahead of Caldwell. The writing was on the wall, at least that Washington was ahead of Reche. Having said that, I liked Caldwell and appreciate what he brought to the team last year.

DaCheney's Greatest Hits:

You shouldn't have started this silly arse thread to begin with. You are wrong on so many counts I don't know where to start.

1) Caldwell WILL be on this team. I got $20 that says so.

2) Your evaluation of talent is unproven and so far, tremendously lacking. '

There's not much reason you should be surprised. He was running with the 2's for a good portion of the pre-season. And Washington progressed and saw a good amount of time with the starters, certainly ahead of Caldwell. The writing was on the wall, at least that Washington was ahead of Reche. Having said that, I liked Caldwell and appreciate what he brought to the team last year.

Caldwell spent as much time with the 1s as Washington did. This has been pointed out to you by others..

I have to disagree about the writing having been on the wall. The way I viewed it was that Washington was getting reps because he hadn't been in the offense and the Pats wanted to see what he could do. The Pats already KNEW what Caldwell could do.

And yes, its surprising because Washington didn't show that much, in all honesty...

Anyways, I was wrong. So be it. It happens.. Never claimed to be perfect.

Hey, I have to man up, you won the bet - I am genuinely surprised he was released. While I should point out we made the bet before the addition of Moss or Stallworth.

This bet was made after the addition of Stallworth, for the record. This bet is from March 17, and the thread refers to the presence of Stallworth many times on March 12.

What do I win?

This beautiful car
02_junker_002.jpg

And a date with this pretty little thing.

ugly-women-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft