PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Caldwell done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pat's success is founded on being smart with how they spent money.

If the Pats consistently overpay JAGs, they will not be successful!

Four Caldwells is NOT greater than one AD. Not on a team with multiple alternative receiving options. Not even close.

There are two things you need to seek professional help with:

1) Your obvious agenda against Reche Caldwell. He had more catches than friggin' Chris Chambers last year.

2) Your COMPLETE ignorance to the drastic increase in NFL salaries in the past few years, due to a $25,000,000 cap jump in 2 years.

BB/SP wouldn't have structure the contracts of Stalworth and Washington the way they did if they didn't intend to give them the chance at catching balls. I believe that if they have a good offseason, that they'll be given the opportunity to be #1 and #2 in our preseason. If it doesn't work out, we have Gaffney and Caldwell to draw upon to relieve them. If it does work out, Caldwell will be traded or cut.

BB/SP want to have a very good idea next February as to whether Washington is worth his contract. They won't get that idea if they hide him as the fifth receiver.

I'm attacking your logic.

Caldwell performed admirably all season long. He made a mental error in the Colts game.

Brady performed admirably all season long. He made a mental error in the Colts game.

What, did you damn Ellis Hobbs for all eternity too when he fumbled the kickoff against the Broncos?

my logic assumes (obviously) that Reche Caldwell doesn't have a resume like Tom Brady.

You can't compare the two. Brady has proven himself time and time again.
Caldwell hasn't proven a damn thing.
Caldwell had his chance, he blew it.

he said reduce his compensation, not cap hit, which I would infer to mean that Kraft doesn't throw away money - not $1.9m. So if Caldwell isn't a top 4 receiver, are you gonna pay him $1.9m (we'll have the cap space) to be a number 5? He'll be traded for a pick or cut in TC. IMO.

A) Caldwell WILL be a top 4 WR. Top 3, in fact. Washington will have to outplay him for the starting spot. Welker is in the slot. Stallworth starting on the other side.

B) Caldwell's compensation - paragraph 5 salary - was INCREASED by about $500,000 last month as a result of his 2006 performance.

If Welker is used on punt and kickoff returns -- which I have no problem with...the less Maroney on ST the better -- then I wouldn't be so quick to pencil him in as the full-time 3rd WR. There would likely be more of a rotation going on there to keep legs fresh.

my logic assumes (obviously) that Reche Caldwell doesn't have a resume like Tom Brady.

Let's cut Hobbs, then, because he hadn't (and some may still hasn't) "proven himself" before his fumble in January 2006.

I'll have to remember to thank God that you are not running this team.

How do you blow your chance by exceeding everyone's expectations? Caldwell had a spectacular year based on expectations, but he blew it. Why because he dropped two balls in one game? Get real! The "Bill Bucknerization" of Caldwell is ridiculous.

If Welker is used on punt and kickoff returns -- which I have no problem with...the less Maroney on ST the better -- then I wouldn't be so quick to pencil him in as the full-time 3rd WR. There would likely be more of a rotation going on there to keep legs fresh.

No, he will be the slot/3rd WR.

Caldwell and Stallworth will start.

Compensation == cap hit.

There is no prorated signing bonus, veteran minimum, or other cap mechanism impacting Reche's 2007 cap hit.

Unless he signs a new deal, his cap hit will be exactly what we pay him during 2007.

but that was your point....."signs a new deal".....anyways, i was trying to defend you, but my point got lost....oh, well....you're on your own.

Caldwell will cost us nearly $1.9M in 2007. Its nice that Tom Brady is already familiar with him, but I don't think he has the talent to justify that kind of cap hit. Especially not as a fourth string receiver or worse.

Why would Caldwell be done? He had 61 receptions for the Pats last year. That's excellent production.

His cap number is tiny for that kind of production. Remember, with the new cap ceiling, the average cap number for an NFL player is $2 million a year.

I can't imagine there's a team in the NFL that wouldn't jump at 61 receptions for $1.9 million in cap money.

If the season started tomorrow, I think Caldwell and Stallworth would be the starting wideouts and Welker in the slot.

Gaffney and Washington will be competing for the fifth receiver/backup slot. Gaffney probably has the edge out of the gate because he seemed to pick up the Pats system pretty well under the gun last season.

The great thing is that Stallworth, Caldwell, Gaffney, and Washington are all competing for contracts next spring. Those who produce will get long-term deals (either pre-arranged options with the Pats or elsewhere in free agency).

A) Caldwell WILL be a top 4 WR. Top 3, in fact. Washington will have to outplay him for the starting spot. Welker is in the slot. Stallworth starting on the other side.

B) Caldwell's compensation - paragraph 5 salary - was INCREASED by about $500,000 last month as a result of his 2006 performance.

I agree. Caldwell will most likely go into camp as one of our starters. Washington, Gaffney, and Welker will have to play themselves into a starting position.

Says who, you? Good golly, Molly, I didn't know you had become the 'sole' voice of authority here on the board. Am I too late to vote?

I am not the authority for the board. I am the authority for myself.

I feel comfortable ignoring trolls who claim that something is certain, and then won't accept an even money bet on that same subject.

You are not obliged to do the same.

Please feel free to set your own standard for detecting BS.

If it does work out, Caldwell will be traded or cut.

The only way I can see that happening is if Caldwell takes a nose dive and Washington rockets into the starting spot.

Still, with Jackson likely out and Brown done, I'm sure the Pats would be glad to have Caldwell as their 4th, Gaffney as their 5th, and Kight or Childress as their 6th.

Bottom line?

$1,871,000 is, and WILL NOT be a reason for the Pats to have Kight or Childress instead of Caldwell.

Please cut that **** out. It doesn't make you any less right or wrong.

The Pat's success is founded on being smart with how they spent money.

Four Caldwells is NOT greater than one AD. Not on a team with multiple alternative receiving options. Not even close.

Say What?:eek:

I am not the authority for the board. I am the authority for myself.

I feel comfortable ignoring trolls who claim that something is certain, and then won't accept an even money bet on that same subject.

You are not obliged to do the same.

Right. Because only non-trolls are stupid enough to fall for "bets" on the internet. What is this, 3rd grade? "I'll bet you $10 that you won't kiss the teacher?"

Lol!

Like repeating the same argument ad nauseum while ignoring prominent facts?

The only way I can see that happening is if Caldwell takes a nose dive and Washington rockets into the starting spot.

Still, with Jackson likely out and Brown done, I'm sure the Pats would be glad to have Caldwell as their 4th, Gaffney as their 5th, and Kight or Childress as their 6th.

Bottom line?

$1,871,000 is, and WILL NOT be a reason for the Pats to have Kight or Childress instead of Caldwell.

does increasing your font size help you win arguments?

Who said anything about childress and kight? Does putting words into others' mouths help you win arguments?

The obvious answer is that they'll bring all the receivers to camp, figure out who they want going forward, then trade someone for a 3rd to 5th round draft pick next year.

If someone could please explain to me what Caldwell has done that any other receiver in the nfl couldn't do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Then, if you could explain why you bend over backwards to defend this guy, i would like that to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back