PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Caldwell done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It surprises me that people have greater expectations for Caldwell than for Welker.

What do you see in Caldwell?

He's not great at getting open.

He doesn't have amazing hands.

He doesn't get tons of yards after catch.

He runs decent routes and he established a rapport with his quarterback.

That makes him a JAG. Nothing more.

$1.9M is starter money, and JAGs can be had for considerably less. [see Gaffney].

Welker is primarily a slot WR. I don't know if he has the skill set to consistently line up on the outside. That is why I expect Caldwell to have the starter job.

$1.9 million is not starter money. If it is, why aren't you advocating to cut Sammy Morris ($2 million), Kyle Brady ($2.2 million), Jarvis Green ($2.1 million), and Kevin Faulk ($3.25 million)? None of those guys are starters and you can argue that they are JAGs too (maybe not Faulk) and they all are being paid more than Caldwell. Your logic just doesn't make sense.

Quote: Originally Posted by Deus Irae View Post He got open enough to catch more than 60 passes this past season. There are myriad receivers in the NFL who've got no shot of doing that. I hope that helps. Keegs;372843 said:
No but it would help if you never tried to use the word "myriad" again.

Lost me Keegs...what's wrong woth his usage?

Washington has not shown he can be a starting-quality WR. Welker is purely a slot WR.

I doubt the Pats go high with a WR draft pick. If they do, it's Gaffney who gets shown the door, not Caldwell.

I think it's becoming pretty obvious that Brown won't be coming back. If he does, it's Kight or Childress who get shown the door.

Those are forceful opinions, but I will not confuse them with fact. Washington seems a better fit to be the number 2 receiver than Caldwell seemed last year. He's more encouraging player right now, than Caldwell was a year ago. Why write him off?

It surprises me that people have greater expectations for Caldwell than for Welker.

What do you see in Caldwell?

He's not great at getting open.

He doesn't have amazing hands.

He doesn't get tons of yards after catch.

He runs decent routes and he established a rapport with his quarterback.

That makes him a JAG. Nothing more.

$1.9M is starter money, and JAGs can be had for considerably less. [see Gaffney].

Gaffney has a $751,000 cap hit.

Are we seriously quibbling over roughly $1,100,000 when the 2007 Patriots salary cap is $113,000,000?

Caldwell had 50 more catches than Gaffney last season.

It would help if you'd never post again. I'll stop if you will.

I'm not sure i can do that. There is a myriad of different people that i like talking to on here.

I didn't read all of this, but I think the bigger question is:

Is Chad Jackson done for 2007?

By the way, I think Caldwell runs very good routes and has very good hands. The guy didn't drop balls in the regular season. He was tough and took the big hits and he worked hard for the ball and bailed Brady out on a couple really bad passes. That is value my friends.

Those are forceful opinions, but I will not confuse them with fact. Washington seems a better fit to be the number 2 receiver than Caldwell seemed last year. He's more encouraging player right now, than Caldwell was a year ago. Why write him off?

I'm not writing him off, but I can't see why you think Washington is more of a fit as the #2.

He's a good fit as the #4.

Again, I see your point. But Washington has to beat out Caldwell for that starting spot, and quite frankly the odds are against him at this point.

Lost me Keegs...what's wrong woth his usage?

I found it amusing and unneccessary(sp).

It's just that there is a myriad of other words that he could have used instead.

I didn't read all of this, but I think the bigger question is:

Is Chad Jackson done for 2007?

I agree. I think the signing of Stallworth, Welker, and Washington kinda tells me that Jackson will start the season on the PUP and could miss the entire season since the Pats won't keep a spot for him when he comes off the PUP if they have five guys who can do the job.

By the way, I think Caldwell runs very good routes and has very good hands. The guy didn't drop balls in the regular season. He was tough and took the big hits and he worked hard for the ball and bailed Brady out on a couple really bad passes. That is value my friends.

Remember when he took that hit against the Bengals?

BB called that one of the biggest hits he's ever seen. He called Reche a "really tough" guy for coming back in after that.

I'll try to dig up the full quote.

I found it amusing and unneccessary(sp).

It's just that there is a myriad of other words that he could have used instead.

Are you offended that his diction is bigger than yours?

Maybe we could trade Caldwell for a draft pick.

He's shown he is reliable in the regular season but not in the playoffs.
THAT IS A FACT

there's not much use for him on this team unless we are really short on receivers... which we aren't anymore..

But feel free to respond to this with his cap number or how many catches he had last season....

Are you offended that his diction is bigger than yours?

i'm not offended.. just confused.

Are you all related to Reche or soemthing?

THAT IS A FACT

there's not much use for him on this team unless we are really short on receivers... which we aren't anymore..

But feel free to respond to this with his cap number or how many catches he had last season....

Ummm..... You need to get your "facts" straight. Caldwell had 5 catches for 50 yards vs. the Jets and 7 catches for 80 yards and a TD vs. the Chargers. That is more reliable than Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and a bunch of other big name WRs did the first two weeks of the post season. He had one bad game in the post season. Get over it and stop Bucknering him.

Are people looking at some secret Kelley Washington stat page to which I don't have access? He has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he's the receiver that Caldwell was last year. He certainly has potential to be a more productive receiver than he's thus far shown, but in 4 seasons he has 11 more career catches than Caldwell had in year 1 as a Patriot.

Last edited:
Ok. cut Jarvis Green and Sammy Morris. They are back up JAGs who make more than Caldwell.

Dennis Northcutt got a deal that pays him $3.5 million a year. Caldwell is not overpaid at all. $1.8 million is back up money. Caldwell could start this upcoming season.

$1.871M is NOT backup money. Only one in three NFL players this year will make that much. 22 out of 53 players on the roster will be starters (not counting special teams). Do the math.

BB brought in Morris because he has more talent than what he is being paid.

BB will cut, restructure or trade Caldwell because he has less talent than what he is getting paid.

If BB acquires (potentially through the draft) somebody who can replace Jarvis, and BB feels that he has enough depth at defensive end, he will cut, restructure or trade Jarvis.

Caldwell Stays,

He's Tough as Hell, He's a great teammate, works hard, Brady and BB value him more than most of you do.

Anyways our last two wr's are injury prone.
And Welker is a smurf. ( a fast smurf)

We will eventually need him, and I wouldn't be suprised if he's a starter.

Aren't you guys the one complaining about how Brady needs chemistry with his recievers, and how diffucult the passing game is to learn.

CALDWELL STAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS A FACT

What about the catch against the Chargers in the playoffs that won the game. That doesn't count?

THAT IS A FACT....

That's not a fact. Caldwell had 16 catches in the postseason last year, third highest of any WR.

I'm so sick of hearing about "the drop". IMO, Tom Brady screwed up that scoring opportunity when he was the last person in the stadium to notice that nobody was covering Caldwell. Timing is everything.

Brady screwed up. So what? It happens. I'm not calling for him to be cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes