PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Caldwell done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reche Caldwell SAVED this team last year. We don't OWE him anything for it, but the people who are going nuts about how he did nothing special, and anyone could've done that, whatever. This guy deserves WAY more props than he gets on this board.

Exactly! I really don't understand the Caldwell bashing at all. Really makes you wonder if half of these people even understand the game at all.

This Caldwell doubting really is a head scratcher. I just don't get where it is coming from.

Maybe it's Tom Brady's voice in the back of our heads repeating those words, 'it was really hard to find open receivers' over and over again. Did Tom not seem frustrated this season???? Stalworth, Welker, Washington.....is the proof not in the puding??? Will it take a first day draft pick or two second-day picks for you to believe? Maybe Meachem in the first?

I, on the other hand, believe that maybe the Pats weren't very happy with the contribution from the wideouts.

It's great to have all these recievers. Cause you never can tell who might get hurt in the preseason, or in a regular game. Plus they can change their gameplan every week, to make def. cordinators unprepared. The same thing we did to Minnesota on that Mon. night game.

I'd rather have Gaffney than Caldwell as the complimentary guy. Gaffney came on in the playoffs whereas Caldwell fizzled.

vs. NYJ:

Gaffney - 8/104, 0 TDs
Caldwell - 5/50, 0 TDs

vs. SD:

Gaffney - 10/103, 1 TD
Caldwell - 7/80, 1 TD

vs. IND:

Caldwell - 4/46, 0 TD
Gaffney - 3/37, 1 TD

Caldwell averaged 4 catches a game during the regular season. He met or exceeded that in all 3 playoff games.

I think its likely that Caldwell will not be a Patriot when the season starts (unless he substantially reduces his 2007 compensation).

Let me repeat this, as it's pretty obvious you simply don't understand:

$1,871,000 is NOT a substantial cap hit in the NFL of 2007!

It is 1.6% of the Pats' adjusted salary cap!

$1.9 million is NOTHING.

Get that through...

$1.9M is hardly nothing.

Two out of three NFL players will earn less than $1.9M this year. Obviously this includes a great many starters.

The Patriots have gotten where they are by UNDERPAYING for talent.

$1.9M for Caldwell is overpaying. BB won't do this if he has an alternative.

If we were talking about a game altering player like AD, this would be nothing. But we're not. Caldwell is just another guy, and $1.9M is way too much.

Doesn't matter.

Yes it does matter.

I said that Caldwell choked when we needed him the most.

you then compare him to Tom Brady and say the same things.

tom Brady has won 3 rings and 2 superbowl mvps.

Reche Caldwell has done **** in this league.

so think up a better comparison

he said reduce his compensation, not cap hit, which I would infer to mean that Kraft doesn't throw away money - not $1.9m. So if Caldwell isn't a top 4 receiver, are you gonna pay him $1.9m (we'll have the cap space) to be a number 5? He'll be traded for a pick or cut in TC. IMO.

Last edited:
If they do not believe what they say, then they are trolls and can be safely ignored during the daytime.

Says who, you? Good golly, Molly, I didn't know you had become the 'sole' voice of authority here on the board. Am I too late to vote?

Clearly I have a much lower opinion of Caldwell's ability than most of the other folks here. I think that the only reason why he got the 2007 numbers that he did is that Brady didn't have any better options. Now he has several.

We may never again see a playoff caliber team with as good a QB as Brady have as poor a set of receivers as he did in the 2006 season.

Since I'm having so much fun, does anybody here want to take even money action at $25 or $50 that Caldwell is not on the 53 man roster at the time the Patriots play their first game of the 2007 season?
So are you saying that 61 rec is BAD? If you are saying our recieving core sucked. Maybe but, Caldwell exceeded my expectations. I am telling you, Caldwell can definitley have 75 rec if you keep him as a starter. Brady and Caldwell only had that good connection in the second half of the season.

I dont think you can count Caldwell out. There will definitely be some competition for the 2nd WR spot (between Caldwell and Gaffney).

Stallworth
Caldwell/Gaffney
Welker as Troy's replacement in the slot
...and who ever loses out as the 2nd wr as the 4th.

That will be the lineup.

Folks here seem to be assuming that Caldwell and Gaffney will make the team, but with all the receiving talent that we have brought in that seems increasingly unlikely.

Caldwell will cost us nearly $1.9M in 2007. Its nice that Tom Brady is already familiar with him, but I don't think he has the talent to justify that kind of cap hit. Especially not as a fourth string receiver or worse.

I think that BB may be planning to drop Caldwell like a Tom Brady AFC Championship game pass.

Come on! Caldwell is has the 18th highest cap hit on this team. Maybe before the new CBA that was too much of a cap hit, but Sammy Morris and Jarvis Green have higher cap hits than Caldwell. Wes Welker who is probably going to be the #3 WR is only $100k less of a cap hit. Chad Scott is only $500k less of a cap hit.

If we can justify paying back ups more than Caldwell, we will most likely keep our leading receiver from last season. I say Caldwell is more likely to be lining up across from Stallworth in the starting the lineup than getting cut.

The Pat's success is founded on being smart with how they spent money.

If the Pats consistently overpay JAGs, they will not be successful!

Four Caldwells is NOT greater than one AD. Not on a team with multiple alternative receiving options. Not even close.

I agree. If we go by this logic. We need to cut Jarvis Green. He has a higher cap hit than Caldwell and at least Caldwell has a chance to start next year without injury of someone in front of him.

Yes it does matter.

I said that Caldwell choked when we needed him the most.

you then compare him to Tom Brady and say the same things.

tom Brady has won 3 rings and 2 superbowl mvps.

Reche Caldwell has done **** in this league.

so think up a better comparison

I'm attacking your logic.

Caldwell performed admirably all season long. He made a mental error in the Colts game.

Brady performed admirably all season long. He made a mental error in the Colts game.

What, did you damn Ellis Hobbs for all eternity too when he fumbled the kickoff against the Broncos?

The Pat's success is founded on being smart with how they spent money.

If the Pats consistently overpay JAGs, they will not be successful!

Four Caldwells is NOT greater than one AD. Not on a team with multiple alternative receiving options. Not even close.

Ok. cut Jarvis Green and Sammy Morris. They are back up JAGs who make more than Caldwell.

Dennis Northcutt got a deal that pays him $3.5 million a year. Caldwell is not overpaid at all. $1.8 million is back up money. Caldwell could start this upcoming season.

I agree. If we go by this logic. We need to cut Jarvis Green. He has a higher cap hit than Caldwell and at least Caldwell has a chance to start next year without injury of someone in front of him.

We need to cut Sammy Morris too.

There's no reason a 3rd RB should be making $2 mil. a year.

he said reduce his compensation, not cap hit, which I would infer to mean that Kraft doesn't throw away money - not $1.9m. So if Caldwell isn't a top 4 receiver, are you gonna pay him $1.9m (we'll have the cap space) to be a number 5? He'll be traded for a pick or cut in TC. IMO.

Compensation == cap hit.

There is no prorated signing bonus, veteran minimum, or other cap mechanism impacting Reche's 2007 cap hit.

Unless he signs a new deal, his cap hit will be exactly what we pay him during 2007.

I think its likely that Caldwell will not be a Patriot when the season starts (unless he substantially reduces his 2007 compensation).

I am not certain about this, but I am confident in my prediction.

A bunch of Reche fanboys are showing up and declaring that anyone who utters such blasphemy must be totally ignorant about football.

I take umbrage at this. I am willing to stand behind my prediction.

If those who called me an idiot actually believe what they say, then they would be happy to accept an even money bet on what they regard as a certainty.

If they do not believe what they say, then they are trolls and can be safely ignored during the daytime.

How much more do you want him to reduce it. He is already getting back up money as a starter. Maybe they can cut him and sign another back up for more than Caldwell. You need to understand the market. $1.8 million is a third or fourth WR money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back