PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Bill Belichick "arrogant"? If so why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrogant or stubbornness you deside.

Facts is, he won't hire or get help on the defensive side. Aslong he wont spend big money in FA or getting help with the defense, the offense and Brady will have to carry the team.

This summer he brought in a coach, to help him with the no huddle and run game etc. I would love, if he took he's pride and fired Patricia. Then hired South Carolina’s defensive dictator Lorenzo Ward. Together they could raise a new defense, there would match 2013 and not the "old" style, BB have used for years... I beleave the rest of the league, have learned the weakness of it by now.

As long he wont spend big money in FA or getting help with the defense, the offense and Brady will have to carry the team.
Bill Belichick spent money in unrestricted free agency this past March on defense:

Jonathan Fanene
Trevor Scott
Steven Gregory

Two of the three have not panned out whatsoever defensively and the third is "average" to "below average" at best.

I don't think arrogant is the right word. Arrogant, in a coaching context, is a guy who thinks he's right, knows he's right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Typically, they have a system or approach and they try to find players who fit their system, or worse, try to change players to play their brand of football.

Belichick is one of the most adaptive coaches in the game. He adapts to rules changes, salary cap realities, and his players' talents. His success over 25 years is a testament to his ability to adapt. He may run a tight ship and insist on keeping distractions to a minimum, but that is not arrogance.

Coaches like Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, Ron Meyer, Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka came with a way doing things regardless of the team they had or the direction of the game. Buddy Ryan was going to run the 46 whether he had the speed and ability at linebacker/safety to pull it off or not. He caught lightning in a bottle in Chicago but not in Philadelphia.

He doesn't strike me as arrogant. Though it's obvious why the likes of Mazz call him that. He's just pissy that Belichick doesn't get all buddy-buddy with the media. Tony is as transparent as they come. He hates it when anyone slights the sports media, as if they deserve some kind of respect. I find it hilarious. Guy is an uber-douche.

So is that where this is suddenly coming from?

Bill Belichick spent money in unrestricted free agency this past March on defense:

Jonathan Fanene
Trevor Scott
Steven Gregory

Two of the three have not panned out whatsoever defensively and the third is "average" to "below average" at best.

None of them are big money... 1-2 mill each year signings - Was talking about players who get 5 or so each year, quality players there INSTANT upgrade. Rather have 1 or 2 there upgrade us dramatic, then 3-4 who are rotation players. And dont defend him with Fanene. Next year there are ppl like Cromatie, Byrd, Long etc ( Can't say for sure now who's there ) but those ppl upgrade us, not a rotation players.

If Belichick would once go outside the team to get some help with his staff it would be nice.

So is that where this is suddenly coming from?

I don't know where it's coming from, but if I had a nickel for every time I heard Mazz call BB arrogant, well, I wouldn't be posting here.

None of them are big money... 1-2 mill each year signings - Was talking about players who get 5 or so each year, quality players there INSTANT upgrade. Rather have 1 or 2 there upgrade us dramatic, then 3-4 who are rotation players. And dont defend him with Fanene. Next year there are ppl like Cromatie, Byrd, Long etc ( Can't say for sure now who's there ) but those ppl upgrade us, not a rotation players.
The New England Patriots placed the franchise tag on Wes Welker instead.

There are only so many salary cap dollars to go around and there are only so many players on a NFL roster that can carry a salary cap hit of $5 million or more.

He attempted to sign Red Bryant this offseason. He is a stud. He signed Brandon Lloyd who is an above average WR.

It is more a question of finding players who play to the level of the contract. Mario Williams is not a $100 million player but received that. I think BB refuses to over spend but saying he refuses to spend would be untrue.

Jonathan Fanene
Trevor Scott
Steven Gregory

Scott signed a 1yr 900K deal with a 250K bonus. Fans and media setting the expectations so high for him was the only mistake I see with that signing.

Fanene lied and got one over on us.

There are only so many salary cap dollars to go around and there are only so many players on a NFL roster that can carry a salary cap hit of $5 million or more.

Sorry to say but Fanene wasn't a need, Gregory on safety was, but the cheap bad once of the FAs, Scott was hopeless. Talk about Koppen, Gallary, Addai and lots of the WRs. Point is - We have ALOT of dead money - Atleast 10 mill could be found there, thats 2 players on 5 mill each... So its posible even with WW.

Sorry to say but Fanene wasn't a need.
Not according to Bill Belichick he wasn't.

Gregory on safety was, but the cheap bad once of the FAs
Laron Landry was the solution? The Jets defense is worse this year than last year.

Scott was hopeless.
Bill Belichick took a minimal risk from a salary cap perspective.

Talk about Koppen, Gallary, Addai and lots of the WRs.
Gallery retired and Waters went AWOL.

Point is - We have ALOT of dead money - At least 10 mill could be found there, thats 2 players on 5 mill each... So its posible even with WW.
Dead money is spent capital, there is no turning back.

Arrogant coaches do not take blame for making mistakes. Bill does all the time. How many times after a loss to you hear "we need to coach better"

Arrogant coaches do not seek out the opinions of outsiders like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Chip Kelly, et. al . to try to improve their methods

Arrogant coaches don't spend so much time downplaying their own philosophies while extolling the genius of past greats like Paul Brown, insisting that those guys were the real drivers of the evolution of the game.

Arrogant coaches don't adjust both their offensive and defensive schemes on the fly to adjust to personnel and injuries. Are we better suited to pay 3-4 this week? 4-3? Shotgun spread on offense? Power running from a huddle? Let's adapt. We don't have to do things one way.

Arrogant coaches are never so openly complimentary of the successes and skills of other coaches.

Nothing about BB reeks of arrogance unless you are upset over spygate and think he didn't explain it well enough, or you are simply jealous of his success, or it galls you that he named a boat after the number of rings he has won.

Last edited:
Let's stop blaming Welker for the lack of an upgrade at corner.

Please review the salary cap page. We CURRENTLY have $9M of cap space available. They was room for CB upgrade in the $5M per year range. Instead we decided to start Arrington for $2M a year and roll the money into 2013. Belichick also decided to count on Dowling, Moore and Dennard to be cover the need a nickel and dime.

It was not nuts to expect that Dowling would be our nickel and Moore our dime.

However, we certainly COULD have paid for an upgrade. There was plenty of cap room.

The BOTTOM LINE is that the defensive secondary is a work in progress. It STILL figures to better for the 2012 playoffs than it was for the 2011 playoffs.

Last edited:
Not according to Bill Belichick he wasn't.

Laron Landry was the solution? The Jets defense is worse this year than last year.

Bill Belichick took a minimal risk from a salary cap perspective.

Gallery retired and Waters went AWOL.

Dead money is spent capital, there is no turning back.

It's super he takes chances and trying to see if a vet or 2, have a year left in the legs. My point was more that i wouldn't mind if he used 10 mill a year, or 15 it doesn't matter, in the back field on 2 playmakers. They might not be there next year, but when they are, give them a offer they can't refuse.

I don't want him to go draft or FA big time WR's, mainly cause we'r TE based. When BB desided it , applaus for doing it, he also found money to use other wise. Point is, it doesn't matter how strong the offense is, if the team's can go deep 4 tiems and then score.

Yes we have a young defense and backfield in general, but if we look at Brady, we don't have that time. If he wanna give the young defense the time to get experience, he should trade Brady while he's 2-3 picks worthy. Basily we go now or we ain't. The money shouldn't be the issue.

Let's stop blaming Welker for the lack of an upgrade at corner.

Please review the salary cap page. We CURRENTLY have $9M of cap space available.
Tom Brady did not restructure his contract until March 22, 2012; approximately three weeks after the commencement of unrestricted free agency.

Scout.com: Patriots restructure Brady's contract

In March 2012, the New England Patriots were also on the hook for Brian Waters cap hit of $2.25 million with regard to the top 51 calculation which has subsequently come off the books.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/08/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-september-7/

Last edited:
I don't think his reluctance to hire better help stems from arrogance. I think he got tired of being everyone's stepping stone into the NFL.

You can't really blame him for not wanting someone coaching for NE that isn't committed to the team and will likely look for a promotion outside the organization in a year or 2.

He is like the Godfather. He wants loyalty.

back to the OP

I used to think it was arrogance on the part of both BB and Brady, but I no longer do....at least not with Brady

I think there used to be a time when Brady worked harder on his game than any other QB, but these days I think he merely works at it as hard as the average. I don't blame him with all the other things he now has in his life, but it is what it is....the details and the patience just arent there.....I also think he's hearing voices/footsteps....I saw him duck when tehre was nobody there

I think there used to be a time when Belichick would prepare harder and in greater detail than any other coach in the league. Now, he may try as hard, but I can't see how he can get as much out of the bums he has around him now (scar and pepper notwithstanding) as he did when he had the best supporting cast in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back