PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Feelings on Bill O'Brien so far?

I feel like I'm wasting my time responding to this, as this has been said ad nauseum.

You just gotta come to terms with this man. Stop, pretending. We all know what the reality is.
To some people here football is a team sport in which only one position/player can't have his play evaluated until the perfect conditions are placed around him. Everyone else is fair game, except for that one very special boy. It's less of a team than a collection of people that exist solely to serve the quarterback and make him look as good as possible (he unfortunately can't do anything to look good himself, that's just how it works).

To some people here football is a team sport in which only one position/player can't have his play evaluated until the perfect conditions are placed around him. Everyone else is fair game, except for that one very special boy. It's less of a team than a collection of people that exist solely to serve the quarterback and make him look as good as possible (he unfortunately can't do anything to look good himself, that's just how it works).
Winner Dave GIF by Barstool Sports

Yeah this

Of course the roster isn't good. I've always been a proponent of players are WAY more important than coaches.

The problem is last year we kept deflecting much of the offensive woes on Patricia, and assumed that O'Brien would make a big impact. What this year is showing is that Mac and the offense are just doomed, and not good enough. They already showed the signs at the end of 2021, but we ignored it.

The O'Brian signing was copium.

Before yesterday the offense was starting to look more in-sync re. execution vs. last season, despite the dearth of talent and ongoing OL woes. Then against Dallas we have rookie Mafi starting at guard and journeyman Lowe -- a backup left tackle -- starting at right tackle. The importance of OL cohesion can't be overstated and this Patriots unit has had zip since the start of training camp. The source of this offensive crap show starts there but certainly doesn't end there.

No, the BOB hiring was not "copium" -- he is a competent to good OC. What he and Klemm bring to the table compared to Patricia has been apparent from the start, it's a coherent scheme. The problem, in a nutshell: a roster with insufficient talent depth to transcend injury setbacks. ANY OC is going to have difficulty putting lipstick on this wounded pig.

As for Mac, his horrid decision making yesterday was uncharacteristically dysfunctional. If he doesn't rebound from that in a BIG way, pretty damn quick, the writing's on the wall.

I think Bob might want to exit out of here more than us.

No sane person is going to come to pats now unless there is a GM and coach change.

We need a complete overhaul and need a young coach . The chiefs are looking vulnerable and reid is prolly looking good because of mahomes and Kelce. Bill has none like that and the results are showing. He is so out of sync in today's fast paced offense . Todays NFL is no country for old men without Tom Brady / Mahomes.

Just get the Detroit OC as HC or raid the front office of eagles and OC from San Fran.

I think we need to move on from Mayo , Bills kids and Bob as well . Give the new HC and GM all the cap for next year and probably the best draft pick in decades.

or a starting QB
You know something... I think we can win with Mac.. I'm not defending his play yesterday.. but he's good enough to win with IF they give him a true game breaker.

It's envious watching sam Howell, CJ stroud win with what they have and we can't score more that 1 TD a game.

Honestly.. we haven't reached rock bottom yet.. that will come in 2 weeks against Buffalo. I just have no confidence in the direction of the franchise. This feeling sucks patriots football was always what I could look to counter winter each season. I know of at least 3 people who've said they gave up thier season passes last season.

They can change the direction with a convincing win and showing fight and competitiveness going forward.

I've come to accept the defense isn't going to be elite with the 2 best players out. However we still have enough up front to compete.

Bob has been given a turd of an offense and been asked to make it to a bowl of Cheerios…
The oline is awful, Mac is still making terrible decisions…the running game is non existent. I feel that he doesn’t make good enough reads and make adjustments like some of the other elite QBs in this league.

No coach in the NFL can fix this offense. They have to rebuild starting from the top, get a GM, get the offensive line fixed, get a solid WR and QB and you will be good to go.

Bill O'Brien's feelings probably include sadness, frustration, and a little regret. You know what to do Bill, so go do it, because doggone it, people like you.

140207_2724123_Daily_Affirmation_anvver_4.jpg

I think Bob might want to exit out of here more than us.

No sane person is going to come to pats now unless there is a GM and coach change.

We need a complete overhaul and need a young coach . The chiefs are looking vulnerable and reid is prolly looking good because of mahomes and Kelce. Bill has none like that and the results are showing. He is so out of sync in today's fast paced offense . Todays NFL is no country for old men without Tom Brady / Mahomes.

Just get the Detroit OC as HC or raid the front office of eagles and OC from San Fran.

I think we need to move on from Mayo , Bills kids and Bob as well . Give the new HC and GM all the cap for next year and probably the best draft pick in decades.
the stench of Bill the Coach, Bill the GM, his "coaching tree/family tree", his terrible drafts, his 26-29 record since he kicked Brady out the door, and questionable other personnel decisions must be fumigated front One Patriot Place.

the stench of Bill the Coach, Bill the GM, his "coaching tree/family tree", his terrible drafts, his 26-29 record since he kicked Brady out the door, and questionable other personnel decisions must be fumigated front One Patriot Place.
And change their uniforms please! I can't stand those blueberry pajama's. I used to love the "Flying Elvis", but that logo hasn't aged well. Needs to be updated if they keep it. Go back to the Pat Patriot look or give me a modified 90's look with those beautiful royal blue uniforms.

"Hello, Michigan State, Bill Belichick here. Uh, remember last week when you called and asked about O'Brien's availability and I hung up and laughed. Well, the NFL is a week-to-week business, and, um, er, well, gimme a call back."

If this was Rhams rookie year we would most probably think he wasn't a great RB. He is struggling behind an awful line and looks awful. Tua looked below average before had had help. Players can't do it alone. You can judge Mac but it has to have context. It's possible when Mac has a decent line and weapons he still looks average but ANY QB that comes in will need better than what we have on offense.

If this was Rhams rookie year we would most probably think he wasn't a great RB. He is struggling behind an awful line and looks awful. Tua looked below average before had had help. Players can't do it alone. You can judge Mac but it has to have context. It's possible when Mac has a decent line and weapons he still looks average but ANY QB that comes in will need better than what we have on offense.
Rhamondre is playing poorly. He's performing significantly worse than Zeke behind the same OL. He's at the bottom of the league in rushing yards over expectations. Prime example of how you can judge performance even in non-ideal context. Of course the bad OL and the fact that boxes are loaded up due to opponents not respecting the passing game are hurting his production. He also isn't playing well. The difference is I'm way more confident in Stevenson's ability to return to form and eventually produce with better context around him because I've already seen him perform at the level of a top player at his position. His yards after contact and rushing yards over expetcations were all top of the league last year. What do I have to fall back on with Mac Jones? What do you see there? Has he even once played above his context? Because if he's as good as his context that's not good enough. It's possible he's not the main problem without being the solution either. Why would I invest in putting pieces around that guy? If any QB would need better than what they have on offense (and I agree they would), I'd rather put "better" around a guy who has the tools to elevate his surroundings.

The amount fans will twist the selves into knots to defend bill is out of this world.

I legit read in one thread we are a top 10 offensive talent that is better than the bills/chiefs.

And another that Bourne/juju/parker aren't far off from Moss/welker/stallworth.

I kind of hope zappe starts so fans can see what a garbage roster Bill built

The amount fans will twist the selves into knots to defend bill is out of this world.

I legit read in one thread we are a top 10 offensive talent that is better than the bills/chiefs.

And another that Bourne/juju/parker aren't far off from Moss/welker/stallworth.

I kind of hope zappe starts so fans can see what a garbage roster Bill built
People don't understand that it's impossible to get production this bad on offense unless you're bad at everything. If the QB were good they'd be better, if the weapons were good they'd be better, if the OL were good they'd be better. It takes ineptitude at every level to perform like this.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back