PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Important advice from BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all we know, the ST coach could share part of the blame. Maybe what to do when the KO is kicked into the end zone so close to the goal line wasn't practiced enough or communicated what to do well enough.

I see they have put Amendola out there to field some punts, they can't be fully confident in Jones to field punts in crucial situations although Amendola didn't do much better.

Well that's just bad writing, which is kind of a different thing. In general the use of "we" is OK by me for a fan, although sometimes it does seem a little adolescent.

100% agree on "we're pregnant," which makes my skin crawl.
If you've ever had a pregnant wife, you know that "we" indeed are pregnant

True dat. The problem is that we don't know what play was called, and what each player's responsibility was on that play, especially since each play in this complex offense has options based upon how the defense reacts.

Same thing on defense. We don't know for certain just WHAT defense was called and what each player's responsibility was on that play. We can guess, and might be right, but it's quite likely that we won't know for certain without a copy of the playbook to hand.
It's Bill's fault for not keeping us in the loop.

So that settles it, no more discussing the Pats in terms of "we".
In the old days, there was lots of third-person reference..."they just gave up"..."they found yet another way to lose"..."they had a punt for negative yardage in Buffalo"..."they broke down at the worst possible time"..."they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory"..."they forgot to show up for the game"...

What was implicit but not said was, "We..." which would have been accurate because "we" were all spending our Sunday afternoons watching from start to finish, no matter what, because they're OUR team.

Imperatives, too: "don't snap it over his head"..."don't throw it into coverage"..."don't leave that guy open"..."don't fumble" and okay, a lot of the time, they didn't listen.

I'll never forget the article, I think by Montville, expressing deep apprehension as the Sox returned to New York for Games 6 & 7 in '86, recalling all the strange things that happened to the Pats at Shea over the years...

@long distance and i were discussing this in bills post-game thread. i originally thought slater was just taking responsibility to cover up for cyrus, but looking back at it, it could have been slater's fault for not signalling clearly enough.

the problem was that the kickoff was short, so there wasn't much of a buffer between jones and the goal line. he's nearly out of the endzone before he notices slater's outstretched hand telling him to stay in, but by then it's too late because his momentum carries him out. if slater had shouted to him, "stay in!" while he was fielding the KO, there wouldn't have been any confusion.

here's the play:

i thought jones made a bad decision on the second KO as well, but again, looking back at it, if it's slater's responsibility to tell him to stay in, then it wasn't jones' fault for bringing the ball out because slater clearly doesn't signal jones to stay in the endzone:

Yeah, it did look a lot like this in the old days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore