Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This goes without saying, but BB said it anyway and it's something all of us should remember. The below quote was in the context of him addressing Cyrus Jones's poor performance returning kicks vs. Buffalo (I bolded a couple key points).

(Link:Why Didn’t Bill Belichick Bench Cyrus Jones After Kickoff Mishaps? Coach Explains)

“The same thing that goes into everything I do: trying to do what’s best for the team,” the Patriots head coach said in his Friday morning news conference. “But I’d say my advice to you and to the fans and everyone else would be not to be too quick to decide who’s right and who’s wrong when you don’t really know what’s going on. “And that’s hard for me, too. If I watch something on another player on another team and I can see there’s a mistake, I’m not necessarily sure who made it. Obviously, something wasn’t done properly. That’s evident. But what went wrong and why it went wrong, what’s the background of how it happened — if you’re not really part of the team, that’s a very hard thing to evaluate. “I respect the experts that are out there. We have a lot of good ones. But I know it’s very hard for me when I see a mistake on film that another team makes to identify exactly what the problem was, because it could probably be one of two or three things. Unless you actually know what the call was, what they were taught to do, I don’t know if you really know who made the mistake.”

This goes without saying, but BB said it anyway and it's something all of us should remember. The below quote was in the context of him addressing Cyrus Jones's poor performance returning kicks vs. Buffalo (I bolded a couple key points).

(Link:Why Didn’t Bill Belichick Bench Cyrus Jones After Kickoff Mishaps? Coach Explains)

“The same thing that goes into everything I do: trying to do what’s best for the team,” the Patriots head coach said in his Friday morning news conference. “But I’d say my advice to you and to the fans and everyone else would be not to be too quick to decide who’s right and who’s wrong when you don’t really know what’s going on. “And that’s hard for me, too. If I watch something on another player on another team and I can see there’s a mistake, I’m not necessarily sure who made it. Obviously, something wasn’t done properly. That’s evident. But what went wrong and why it went wrong, what’s the background of how it happened — if you’re not really part of the team, that’s a very hard thing to evaluate. “I respect the experts that are out there. We have a lot of good ones. But I know it’s very hard for me when I see a mistake on film that another team makes to identify exactly what the problem was, because it could probably be one of two or three things. Unless you actually know what the call was, what they were taught to do, I don’t know if you really know who made the mistake.”

True dat. The problem is that we don't know what play was called, and what each player's responsibility was on that play, especially since each play in this complex offense has options based upon how the defense reacts.

Same thing on defense. We don't know for certain just WHAT defense was called and what each player's responsibility was on that play. We can guess, and might be right, but it's quite likely that we won't know for certain without a copy of the playbook to hand.

Slater told the kid to take a knee. So, either Slater was wrong or Jones was wrong.

Anyone who chooses to believe that Slater was wrong is welcome to do so.

Slater told the kid to take a knee. So, either Slater was wrong or Jones was wrong.

Anyone who chooses to believe that Slater was wrong is welcome to do so.
Slater clearly is trying to "take one for the team." Jones had a brain cramp; what I don't get is he kept screwing up and BB kept putting him back out there.

Cyrus Jones needs to never return kicks seriously he has of history of muffed punts we keep playing with fire and he's gonna wind up muffing one that winds up costing us a game or a big one and it can even be when we least expect it that really leaves a sting no more returns for Cyrus just stick to corner before he winds up pulling a Harper and yall know how that went

I get what BB is saying, we assume that Jones makes the decision to come out of the end zone to return the KO. Slater hints that it's not Jones's responsibility but Slater himself who gives the signal. If it is Slater that makes the call, then it changes how we look and evaluate the plays.

If he doesn't hesitate on the opening ko, it's a decent return. He saw the crease, Slater waived him down, he stuttered out of the ez (still made it passed the 10). Maybe Slater was being conservative while the young rookie was being aggressive, but trying to listen to the grizzled vet. In any case, I know I was confused by the 1st return attempt, and upset with the 2nd. I hope Jones gets some positive plays in this weekend, he clearly has shown talent, I think he just needs some confidence.

So that settles it, no more discussing the Pats in terms of "we".

The only times "we" is appropriate in sports beyond high school level (up to that level, you've got a lot of parents/friends/etc... doing enough to help the team to give them the 'right' to use "we"):

You're a member of the organization
It's a college team, and you are currently attending that college

I get what BB is saying, we assume that Jones makes the decision to come out of the end zone to return the KO. Slater hints that it's not Jones's responsibility but Slater himself who gives the signal. If it is Slater that makes the call, then it changes how we look and evaluate the plays.

It would make sense. The up man can watch what is developing. The return man needs eyes on the ball.

Of course Jones made a mistake. But leaders don't throw their troops under the bus. Right?
635599516169677667-USP-NFL-AFC-Wild-Card-Playoff-Cincinnati-Bengals.jpg

Thank Gawd BB runs the team and not posters. Patience, a work in progress. He doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If he feels the guy is working hard and we need him, he'll give him room to get comfortable.

Losing coaches make impulsive decisions to please fans.

Cyrus Jones needs to never return kicks seriously he has of history of muffed punts we keep playing with fire and he's gonna wind up muffing one that winds up costing us a game or a big one and it can even be when we least expect it that really leaves a sting no more returns for Cyrus just stick to corner before he winds up pulling a Harper and yall know how that went

Harper blew one punt and got the axe. Jones is lucky he's a high draft pick. If he was a 7th round pick, or a UDFA, he'd be trying out for the Colts by now.

Guess BB should have listened to Urban Meyer regarding Dunlap :)

Harper blew one punt and got the axe. Jones is lucky he's a high draft pick. If he was a 7th round pick, or a UDFA, he'd be trying out for the Colts by now.

He's a CB so my point was not to axe him just no more returns just keep him at his normal position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore