PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IMO, 2008 team beats 2009 team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: IMO, 2008 team beats 2009 team.

Kind of like The first few years with young Tom Brady. Cassel had trouble hitting the long ball to Moss., but still threw great in the stretch.

345 yds against Arizona, 7 different receivers.

In Foxborough, in the snow against a very warm weather team, a schizophrenic Cardinals team known for losing big and giving up big games? They gave up 56 points to the Jets (in Arizona), 37 points to the Giants, 48 points to the Eagles, and 35 points to the Vikings, finishing the last 6 games L-L-W-L-L-W, with one of those losses against the Pats. I will credit the Pats and Cassel with a great game that day, but it probably needs to be put in that perspective. The Cards found an identity in the playoffs (in fact, I believe Warner said that beating by the Pats was the wake-up call - you can interpret that as either a good or bad statement about the Pats), not before it, and finally found an identity with James and a running game at that point.

I would not call beating the Dolphins, the Seahawks, the Raiders, the Cardinals and Bills down the stretch any more of an accomplishment than who the team has to beat this year, with losses to far inferior teams in comparison.

Brady in a heartbeat over Cassel.

Disagree. This year we have Brady. May not be the '07 Brady but he's still Brady. And I think this year's defense is better as well, as mentioned Hobbs/O'neal would get picked apart by Brady/Moss/Welker.

does 2008 vs 2009 also include josh mcdaniels or just the players?

You mean the O line that hasn't given up a sack in 3 games?

have you been watching the same game i been watching he's been hit and Pressured with only 3 man fronts at times

if you like stats so much here's one for you this same O line gave up 47 sacks with matt cassel, at QB the only reason the pats have only gave up 15 sacks this year is cause tom brady, gets the ball out of he's hands

Last edited:

does 2008 vs 2009 also include josh mcdaniels or just the players?

I took it to mean everything from 2008 was as it was, including coordinators and injured players.

And your point is that you would rather have Cassel over Brady?

Looking at Cassel's games ...weeks 14, 15, 16 (excluded week 17...55 mph winds, 8 passes attempted) he was a hot QB in 2008. 8 TDs, 1 Int . If the Question is, would you want Cassel at this point in 2008 vs today's banged up Brady...I'll take Cassel. in 2008, his numbers improved drastically as the season progressed, and his legs got the O out of some jams...to the tune of 23 1st downs.
The '08 O lineup is virtually the same, skill position wise. The Oline has been slightly reconfigured, but the core is the same. At this point in both seasons, Cassel was playing much better. Just because he's subpar on a crappy team now means what? Put Brady behind that line and his knees would be gone. Cassel has been sacked 41 times on a team with no weapons.
My initial point was that a mobile QB gives teams options on offense....just a simple roll out can get a releasing TE involved. Now, the passing game includes 2 WRs, 1 RB, and 0 TEs

Disagree. This year we have Brady. May not be the '07 Brady but he's still Brady. And I think this year's defense is better as well, as mentioned Hobbs/O'neal would get picked apart by Brady/Moss/Welker.

Like he picked apart that cast of all stars (off the street FA's) in the Saints d-backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News