PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Im the Pats GM.. (Picks inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanTheColtsFan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Once again for the Coltpower mock draft. Like every year. So far this is how the Pats have done under my control.

After pick #9, I came to an principal agreement with the Arizona Cardinals GM. The Patriots have sent their first round selection (21st overall), a third round (86th overall) for the Arizona Cardinals first round pick (10th overall) and a 4th rounder next year.

With the 10th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft the New England Patriots selected:

Lendale White, RB, USC

With the 52nd pick in the 2006 NFL Draft the New England Patriots selected::

Danieal Manning, CB, Abilene Christian

On to the third round. I know the Manning pick is gunna get heat but I love the kid.

Edit: I forgot to add, Arizona made the selection at the time. They signed Edgerrin and the GM didn't want to hang on to 2 RB's. So I made the deal.

Last edited:
Please lord let that not be true

jeremiahct said:
stupidist pick i have ever heard of at number 10
I'll be kinder but there have to be a lot better guys at #10 for us.

RyanTheColtsFan said:

Lendale White, RB, USC

Are you trying to make us look like fools? White will be available at #21, and we'll pass on him due to more pressing needs.

:rofl: Ryan, you thought you'd get heat for the Manning pick??!?!

Haha.

The White pick was made two weeks ago. I think Dillon is finished and IMO, White will be the best RB in this draft. I would take him in a heartbeat at #10.

RyanTheColtsFan said:
Once again for the Coltpower mock draft. Like every year. So far this is how the Pats have done under my control.

After pick #9, I came to an agreement with the Arizona Cardinals GM. The Patriots have sent their first round selection (21st overall), a third round (86th overall) for the Arizona Cardinals first round pick (10th overall) and a 4th rounder next year.

Lendale White, RB, USC

With the 52nd pick in the 2006 NFL Draft the New England Patriots selected::

Danieal Manning, CB, Abilene Christian

On to the third round. I know the Manning pick is gunna get heat but I love the kid.

Just in case others don't know - Ryan is not a troll and is very active and knowledgable in the NE sports scene (sports talk radio if I remember correctly?)

...so its not like he's not given this some thought.

But first of all I don't see a real GM for AZ making that trade. I don't think there's enough value offered to move up to #10.

And if we were at #10 I question whether Lendale White is the way to go. I think his expressed lack of desire, and clear lack of desire to block, is going to cause him to drop. All those factors make me question whether the Pats would even want him.

Even if the Pats stand pat, I think a guy like Deangelo Williams will likely fall to them, just as previous drafts have seen RBs drop on draft day as well.

I see us making a move to jump up to 15 to get ahead of Miami and Dallas to grab a guy on Defense they might otherwise take off the board.

If its a RB we desire I see us staying where we are.

First, I only accepted the trade offer. If you have to think twice about moving into the top 10 by only giving up a 3rd rounder, you shouldn't be doing a GM mock.

Second, the White pick was when he was getting alot of positive pub. His stock has dropped alot recently, but I still stand by my pick. You take the guy you want before someone else gets the chance. IF by chance the brain at NE headquarters is banking on White at #21 and he's snatched up at a few picks before, wouldn't it be a mistake NOT to accept the ONLY trade up offer on the table?

You take what's given to you on draft day. It looks like many others would have taken someone else. I, on the other hand, think the RB position for the Pats is going to be horrific next season. White is my guy.

RyanTheColtsFan said:
First, I only accepted the trade offer. If you have to think twice about moving into the top 10 by only giving up a 3rd rounder, you shouldn't be doing a GM mock.

Second, the White pick was when he was getting alot of positive pub. His stock has dropped alot recently, but I still stand by my pick. You take the guy you want before someone else gets the chance. IF by chance the brain at NE headquarters is banking on White at #21 and he's snatched up at a few picks before, wouldn't it be a mistake NOT to accept the ONLY trade up offer on the table?

You take what's given to you on draft day. It looks like many others would have taken someone else. I, on the other hand, think the RB position for the Pats is going to be horrific next season. White is my guy.

I'd take the 10th for that price in a heartbeat--but then, even if I wanted LenDale, I'd trade back down a few slots to recoup that 3rd or maybe even something better--swap 1sts and 2nds in 2006 anyone? And I do like White and think he will be a beast, I'm not ready to write Dillon off just yet.

RyanTheColtsFan said:

I don't think you're insane by any stretch of the imagination, and I was very high on White most of the year. Dunno, maybe I'm falling prey to the mediots spouting off about his work ethic and lack of blitz-pickup desire/ability, but, I just think trading up 10 spots for a back with some questions, when the draft is already pretty deep with RBs is a gamble BB/SP wouldn't take, and I'm not sure I would either. But then again, I'm no GM, fantasy or otherwise. ;)

I think White will end up being the best back in the draft. I would love the Pats to get him.

RyanTheColtsFan said:
Haha.

The White pick was made two weeks ago. I think Dillon is finished and IMO, White will be the best RB in this draft. I would take him in a heartbeat at #10.

Good pick Ryan, although I'm not sure I like the trade up to get him. I appreciate the honesty on Dillon from another fan's perspective. No sense in pretending he's still in his prime and it was the "injuries". The burst wasn't there in Game 1before the injuries let alone game 16, though this subject has been discussed ad naseum.

Last edited:
RyanTheColtsFan said:

Absolutely right - the guy for AZ doesn't know what he's doing.

As far as Dillon - I thought it was pretty well established by anyone with an ability to study tape that Dillon's injury limited his ability to cut left.

A lot of scouts remarked on this and I'm sure every Defensive Coordinator figured that out as well.

I thought it was pretty well established that he wasn't 100% last season and indeed, the Patriots recent moves reduce Dillon's cap hit this season and extend the money through the duration of his contract suggest that the coaches think he's going to play out his full contract (not necessarilly as a starter for the full duration - but certainly as a contributor)

Such moves strongly hint that the coaches have decided that last year was an abberation - that he can still be a starter for 1-2 years and then can be a change of pace back.

We still need a young RB - sooner rather than later in my opinion - but I don't think Dillon is finished by any stretch of the imagination.

What I do like about White:

- Dillon-like power-runner
- nose for goal line

Everybody else has already pegged "what's not to like."

One of the biggest things for Pats RBs is the willingness and ability to pick up the blitz. If there's any doubt about the ability and desire to do so well, the Pats aren't likely to pick a "I'm a running back so I play when my hands are on the ball" kind of guy.

That said - I just end up doubting every source on the draft, so what's the point. What matters is whether Belichick/Pioli think there's a motivational problem with White, if indeed they see him as the best player available when it's time to pick (and my guess is they stay at 21.)

PFnV

re

Ryan,

I think the consensus is that White will be available at #21, but that the Pats will draft a linebacker with their first pick.

Corey was hurt last year, and half of the offensive lineman were lost for the season, so there's no worry about the running game IMO. Meanwhile, the Pats need young talent to replace Willie McGinest, Ted Johnson, and Roman Phifer.

Trading up is intriguing. The only thing is, I believe the Pats only trade up to grab a player if he is one of the last ones left in their value grouping. Thus, I don't see them moving up from 21. If the Pats could move up a few spots, I would like to see them take Greenway.

The only player i see (or think) BB would move up for is Chad Jackson. He has been trying to upgrade the WR position for a couple of years now and has not had any luck. I think he really likes this kid. If we stick at 21 and White and Williams are left, I kind of want Williams more than White. I don't know anything about this Manning guy. He's not any relation to your QB, right Ry :)

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
Ryan,

I think the consensus is that White will be available at #21, but that the Pats will draft a linebacker with their first pick.

Corey was hurt last year, and half of the offensive lineman were lost for the season, so there's no worry about the running game IMO. Meanwhile, the Pats need young talent to replace Willie McGinest, Ted Johnson, and Roman Phifer.

Trading up is intriguing. The only thing is, I believe the Pats only trade up to grab a player if he is one of the last ones left in their value grouping. Thus, I don't see them moving up from 21. If the Pats could move up a few spots, I would like to see them take Greenway.

I'm not ready to concede LB in the first.

RyanTheColtsFan said:
Haha.

Setting aside the knee-jerk opinion on Corey Dillon, out of curiosity, how many teams between picks #10 and #20 do you foresee wanting a shot at Lendale White? 'Cause if you actually look at the organizations in desperate need for a RB, it's a pretty short list, and almost none - possibly ZERO - of them fall inside that span. White or DeAngelo are DEFINITELY going to be there at #21. Trading up to 10 for one of them is ludicrous.

Having said that, I love that you're doing this and I'm interested to read more of the thread. So thanks, sincerely.

Oh, one more thing - MAJOR kudos for trading up to #10 with only a 3rd and a future 4th. If we do that and land, say, Hawk (prayer) or Huff, I'll be thrilled. Again, though, Lendale lasts until #21, I'm pretty sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft