PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we didn't have BB, and I had to pick any other current coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take their GM as well, the Steelers can really put together a roster.

Jeff Fisher

My choices would be:
Tom Coughlin
Sean Payton
Mike Singletary
Steve Spagnuolo

Payton is a decent choice.

Lets wait on Singletary and Spagnulo....and screw coughlin and his fluke of a SB. Lets not forget he probably should have been canned before that season.

I'd probably take Andy Reid.

Last edited:
Tomlin inherited a team one year removed from a SB championship.

Fisher can coach the game, but I don't like how dirty his players are.

Nor do I, especially the game where people were snickering about Rodney Harrison's injury. But if the question is about the bottom line--winning games--I'm taking Fisher above everybody not named Belichick.

After watching Fisher coach that overtime period again Pittsburgh....... Ummm, I think I'll pass. Pathetic.

Andy Reid most likely.

I'd take Tony Sparano.

i wouldn't mind having Tomlin. i used to think he was a jackass but he handles himself well and says the right thing.

He sounds like he's on the patriots.

so did big ben and Hines ward in the post game interviews.

Fisher, not close for me

Why? He stepped into a ready made team. I've yet to see anything exceptional from him. **** Lebeau is the reason the Pittsburgh "D" is so good. As much as I don't like him, it may be the coach of the other team.

I'm with you. Is Tomlin's headset even plugged in? You could play a drinking game where you take a shot every time they show Mike Tomlin talking. You'd walk away from an overtime game without even a buzz.

Let's see how good a coach he is when Lebeau & Arians aren't doing all the work.

Nick Saban.

i'll give Tomlin an Incomplete for a few more seasons; he inherited a pretty fine-tuned machine.

I'd take Coughlin as my first choice because of his connection to BB and then Andy Reid, but I have a good feeling about Singletary and might pick him in a season or so.

Don't know if you are kidding, but I'd also stick with a 3-4 coach from the Belichick/Parcells tree....
I was absolutely not kidding, I love Nick Saban. I have a feeling "any other current coach" mean NFL coach but based on the wording, Saban qualifies and I'd take him in a second.

as a head coach, jerry glanville
as the OC, chucky
as the DC, herm edwards

as a head coach, jerry glanville
as the OC, chucky
as the DC, herm edwards

If we included non-active Gruden would be my first choice and Shannahan my second. Might need someone to GM for them though.

Glad some of these people aren't GMs.

I think I'm going to go with the guys who don't allow their players to play sloppy football. The mistake-free teams are the teams with the best discipline. Good discipline is inherited from hard work, which in turn is derived from strong motivation.

So I think Tom Coughlin, Jeff Fisher, Andy Reid and perhaps Mike Tomlin would be my top choices. But Tomlin needs to prove he can do it without beast coordinators.

People can say Couglin's ring is a "fluke" all they want, but he was a pretty good head coach for the expansion Jaguars; also, while he's a hardass, he proved that he is willing to change his ways in order to make his team better. That's the mark of a good coach. He also surrounds himself with good staff members like Belichick does.

Fisher consistently gets his men to play better than they should be playing. I think his weakness is finishing off what he started, as evidenced by the Titans' loss tonight. I'd still take him over most of the other coaches in the NFL.

Reid is a great all-around coach. His teams commit few penalties, rarely beat themselves, and are constantly being infused with excellent young talent. It'll be interesting to see how much influence Jim Johnson had on Reid's Eagles, and whether Reid can maintain their defensive production over the next few years. Regardless, the Eagles are in contention year in and year out.

Mike Tomlin? You've got to be f****** kidding me? I want to throw up. First of all, it's week one of the NFL season and we're already jumping on his bandwagon. Second, the Steelers were gift wrapped a chance to go to the super bowl when Tom Brady went down in week 1 of '08. In fact, the Pats own the Steelers and LeBau's schemes don't phase Brady one bit. I hope they meet up this post-season to show the world that the Steelers and company are a fraud. Third, Tomlin was handed a team that was already built to win by Bill Cowher and company. Last but not least, this guy is supposed to be a defensive coach, yet he lets LeBeau pretty much do his own thing with the defense. So what exactly does he do? Is he a hardcore version of Pete Carrol who's just a rah rah guy and motivates his players? With that said, he's probably the most overrated head coach in the NFL.

Honestly, I can't think of a person I would want to coach this team other than Bill Belichick. I see people picking Andy Reid which is mind boggling because he is one of the worst game managers in the NFL. While Jeff Fisher is a good coach, his teams rely too much on defense and no offense. Since I really don't like anybody in the NFL I will take somebody currently on Bill's staff. With that in mind, I'm taking Pepper Johnson.

Last edited:
Why? I'm not sure there is a coach in the league for whom it's less clear what he actually contributes to his team. Le Beau runs that defense. The offense is the Ben Roethlisberger show; it's not that sophisticated to have your QB stand around in the pocket for 6 sec looking for an open guy. I don't think he has much input into personnel.

What, if anything, does Tomlin do?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back