PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mac and BB have irreconcilable differences, what is Mac’s trade value?

They got lucky with Brady. Obviously, there's not a Brady-esque guy sitting around they can pluck off the streets, and Mac won't have the same leash this year given the fact Belichick is obviously facing some pressure from Kraft to get back to the postseason.

Again, you can obviously do whatever you want if that's how things play out. But again, I would at least suggest rooting for the kid to succeed since the success of the team is what we're all hoping for. Maybe he turns it around, and if you go back and watch film from 2021 and even last season, as much as you don't like him, he made some pretty terrific throws at various points over that span. Honestly, the biggest difference I saw in watching it was the confidence. He played a lot faster in year one compared to last year, which under McDaniels made sense since he trusted him.

I've said this before, but the Dallas game stands out to me. After throwing a pick-six, rather than going to a safe short game, McDaniels came right back and called a strike down the field to Bourne, and Jones threw a perfect ball over the safety for the touchdown to put them right back up. That was essentially symbolic of the difference between the two seasons.

He may not have a rocket for an arm, but he's smart enough and accurate enough where we've seen him complete some pretty solid throws. Hopefully, O'Brien will put him in a position to allow him to have more options in getting the ball out of his hands faster to allow him to make more of them.

If not, and Belichick plays Zappe at some point, same story. And based on the comments, Zappe and Mac will likely be going back and forth at camp this time around because Zappe won't be behind Hoyer, or whatever other veteran they eventually bring in this year. So that part of it should be interesting.

Otherwise, again, it is what it is. We have who we have and they're going to have to make the best out of it. Mac may not be an elite guy, but if he can go out and throw 20+ touchdowns and move the chains and get them in the end zone the way he did two seasons ago, with this defense, they'll be in the mix. If he does take a step forward, maybe they win a Wild Card game, and another high seed gets bounced, and they end up with a shot at going further. Especially if they're actually healthy and aren't down two starting corners during the most critical stretch this time around. Who knows?

It would be nice for them to add an explosive receiver, but replacing Jonnu Smith with Gesicki in and of itself is a significant boost, since now they have an extra guy to draw coverage which should hopefully open up someone else. It's a lot easier to complete passes when 2-3 of your guys are spaced in a way to create a throwing lane instead of being right on top of one another. I'm assuming that gets fixed this year.

So we'll wait and see. But again, you want a guy gone without much of an alternative. Maybe you'll get your wish, but if not, and he ends up playing well, all we can do is root for it all to work out. Rooting against it makes for a miserable experience, so let's try and avoid that, if possible.
I am not sitting there with hopes of watching the Pats offense give the ball away via INT.

If it happens though the person responsible will be singled out.

Time is running out.

I am not sitting there with hopes of watching the Pats offense give the ball away via INT.
The notion that Jones is some turnover machine just isn't accurate. He finished with fewer interceptions last season than Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, and Aaron Rodgers:
1681304587932.png

People point to the three picks in the Bills game, but one he threw was a pass to the end zone to Hunter Henry on a third and forever with five minutes left in regulation trailing 12 points, where he threw it up where only Henry could get it and it went off his hands and got picked. The other came on a play that went of Harris's hands. It's not like he just made a dumb throw and threw it to the other team.

Prior to that game, he had thrown just one interception over the previous eight games:
1681304914346.png
If it happens though the person responsible will be singled out.
You're right, if it does happen, like any other player who isn't performing well, I'm sure we'll see it get addressed. But again, he's not giving the ball away the way you're making it seem, and certainly not at a clip worse than other QBs in the league.

The notion that Jones is some turnover machine just isn't accurate. He finished with fewer interceptions last season than Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, and Aaron Rodgers:
View attachment 50838

People point to the three picks in the Bills game, but one he threw was a pass to the end zone to Hunter Henry on a third and forever with five minutes left in regulation trailing 12 points, where he threw it up where only Henry could get it and it went off his hands and got picked. The other came on a play that went of Harris's hands. It's not like he just made a dumb throw and threw it to the other team.

Prior to that game, he had thrown just one interception over the previous eight games:
View attachment 50839

You're right, if it does happen, like any other player who isn't performing well, I'm sure we'll see it get addressed. But again, he's not giving the ball away the way you're making it seem, and certainly not at a clip worse than other QBs in the league.
Mac didn't play 17 games. Played 15, and two of those were less than half of the game.

Mac didn't play 17 games. Played 15, and two of those were less than half of the game.
He played in all of those final nine games I checked off and had only one pick over that span ahead of that Bills game.

View attachment 50838

View attachment 50839

Jones finished with fewer INTs because the Pats would not let him throw deep anymore.

After the beginning of the season we saw INTs piling up and BB cut the cord.

Those are the facts.

Jones finished with fewer INTs because the Pats would not let him throw deep anymore.

After the beginning of the season we saw INTs piling up and BB cut the cord.

Those are the facts.
That's not accurate. Jones had 30 attempts of 15+ yards against Miami, Pittsburgh, the Ravens, the Bears, and the Jets. (5 games).

In the last half of the season, he had 60 attempts of 15+. Granted, fewer in terms of per game, but not low enough to dismiss how much more selective he was where he went with the football. He also had zero interceptions on those attempts over that span prior to the Buffalo game.

The majority of picks came on 50/50 balls to Parker to start the season. That formula didn't work. It had nothing to do with Jones arbitrarily just throwing the ball to the other team. Most of Jones's throws last season were either on balls that were slightly underthrown or where his arm was hit. Having gone back and looked at them from a previous discussion, I still don't recall any that you could really classify as a "dumb throw."

Honestly, the last pick he threw where he made a terrible decision was the preseason game against Las Vegas where he missed the linebacker hiding behind the line, who drifted over after he released it on the play to Bourne. Other than that, he wasn't that horrible from that standpoint last season. Not compared to some other QBs around the league.

That's not accurate. Jones had 30 attempts of 15+ yards against Miami, Pittsburgh, the Ravens, the Bears, and the Jets. (5 games).

In the last half of the season, he had 60 attempts of 15+. Granted, fewer in terms of per game, but not low enough to dismiss how much more selective he was where he went with the football. He also had zero interceptions on those attempts over that span prior to the Buffalo game.

The majority of picks came on 50/50 balls to Parker to start the season. That formula didn't work. It had nothing to do with Jones arbitrarily just throwing the ball to the other team. Most of Jones's throws last season were either on balls that were slightly underthrown or where his arm was hit. Having gone back and looked at them from a previous discussion, I still don't recall any that you could really classify as a "dumb throw."

Honestly, the last pick he threw where he made a terrible decision was the preseason game against Las Vegas where he missed the linebacker hiding behind the line, who drifted over after he released it on the play to Bourne. Other than that, he wasn't that horrible from that standpoint last season. Not compared to some other QBs around the league.
People complained that Jones was in a different offense. Harder whatever.

It is accurate that Jones was on a short leash.

People forget just how bad some of those 2021 NE wins were.

The Jets games were a joke. Mac Jones threw for less yards than Wilson and Wilson threw 4 INTs. New England Patriots at New York Jets - September 19th, 2021 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

411 passing yards and 3 passing TDs was a great day. Too bad it was vs Mike White and the Jets. New York Jets at New England Patriots - October 24th, 2021 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

290 passing yards and 3 more passing TDs vs the Jags with no HC. Jacksonville Jaguars at New England Patriots - January 2nd, 2022 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

700 passing yards and 6 TDs in 2 games vs terrible teams. Its like Alabama beating up on U Mass. Some folks love those kinds of wins, but to me its like when George Constanza locked his keys in his car working for the Yankees. Yankee brass thought that he was putting in 20 hours a day because his car was always there. George was a legend due to dumb luck.

The Pats got found out in the post season. Exposed as fakes.

Yeah, some wins are just plain bad. :rolleyes:

Tom Brady's four worst interception percentage season's were 2004, 2001, 2005 and 2002 in order.

Let's stop pretending that Mac Jones is a finished product or last year with the Patricia debacle was "normal."

Tom had Charlie Weis, one of the best offensive coordinators in the league at that time... Matt isn't that.

Does anyone believe the Patriots have done anything to improve their offense besides hiring a few coaches? Looking at the offense today (and new coaches), is that enough to expect a big difference in Macs play on the field?

Of course there’s still more BB can do to improve the offense, but it’s yet to be seen if he will, and/or if any additions (through draft picks) will have an immediate impact on the offense next year.

Honestly, yes. Fair or not, our offense has looked wrong the entirety of Meyer's tenure here. Meyers at one point was literally allergic to tds and yac. Our offense is now not going to be featured around someone that limited. And Jonnu Smith needed to go. He had amazing yac ability but he literally never got the ball unless the play was drawn up for him. Those two departures makes us more unpredictable.

I honestly think preseason will tell us everything we need to know. We shrugged off our poor showing last year and just assumed it would get better as the year went along but it stayed pretty much the same all year. We shouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt like years past. We should boo if it looks like garbage. It is rude but I honestly believe players usually respond in a positive way if you let them have it. By week 2 of the regular season imo will let us know if we have something or not.

My thoughts before OBJ deal going down

Here we go..
Mac Jones and Stevenson to the Texans for #12 and they take Will Anderson 2nd overall.. we take Bijan Robinson 12.. and send 14 to Baltimore for L.Jackson

Here we go..
Mac Jones and Stevenson to the Texans for #12 and they take Will Anderson 2nd overall.. we take Bijan Robinson 12.. and send 14 to Baltimore for L.Jackson
No way the Texans would make that trade. It would also take two first round picks to get Lamar.

E

Here we go..

Interesting.

Its as if last season did not happen.

There is no QB controversy if the QB that went out with injury is winning because he is playing good. Mark Daniels: Patriots defense deserves better than the offense it’s stuck with

Great throws https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/new...ptions-turnovers-devin-mccourty-buffalo-bills

Sweet throw and not stupid Can't-Miss Play: Luke Masterson picks off Mac Jones

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back