PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mac and BB have irreconcilable differences, what is Mac’s trade value?

Justin Herbert is a stiff? :confused:
Yes and very overrated guy gets more balls batted down at 6'6 unreal. Chargers ain't going anywhere with him as long as Mahomes breathes.

• Confused
Reactions: Ian
Yes and very overrated guy gets more balls batted down at 6'6 unreal. Chargers ain't going anywhere with him as long as Mahomes breathes.
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

LOL, again, I don't know what the alternative is. You sort of act like there are all these alternatives out there ... there just aren't. Again, those guys don't grow on trees. And Herbert has shown some flashes and has been a player on the right trajectory.

You're right, he's in a tough Division. But overrated? That's all relative compared to what else is out there and again, for the Chargers, he's certainly better than anything else they could have right now.

The numbers are what they are from that season. And there are plenty of Bears fans who are just as skeptical about Fields as you are about Mac. Obviously, this is a big year for both players, so we'll have to see how it plays out.
Difference with fields is his pure athletic ability is what allowed him to breakdown defenses like he did to us! Mac is a better pure passer than fields.. however if you can stress defenses like fields can WRs will be like store 24..

Interesting based on the numbers you'd think Jameis Winston would be budding Hofer. I'll take Murray and Pickett the rest are all stiffs.

You will take Murray instead of Herbert? HAHA

Difference with fields is his pure athletic ability is what allowed him to breakdown defenses like he did to us! Mac is a better pure passer than fields.. however if you can stress defenses like fields can WRs will be like store 24..

This is true. The ball can travel faster than anyone can run. If the passing game is excellent it will always beat a running game. Teams used to run to set up the pass, today teams pass to set up the run. The issue is that the finding a QB to coordinate the passing game is very tough. Always take a passing QB over a running QB. Let's hope Mac develops into a Top 10 passing QB.

This is true. The ball can travel faster than anyone can run. If the passing game is excellent it will always beat a running game. Teams used to run to set up the pass, today teams pass to set up the run. The issue is that the finding a QB to coordinate the passing game is very tough. Always take a passing QB over a running QB. Let's hope Mac develops into a Top 10 passing QB.
Yes! Excellent points. Mac is also sneaky athletic.. the guy can scramble and make plays outside the pocket.. I saw a comment Carson palmer made about burrow being better than Mahomes. Sure ok! Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL, as you said his passing abilities allow Reid to set up the run.. I just used Mahomes for an example. Burrow has an excellent ground game as his passing sets up the run.. we have one of the best all around backs in the league in rham as you stated if we can get that passing attack going rham is getting 4 ,5 YPC..

Yes! Excellent points. Mac is also sneaky athletic.. the guy can scramble and make plays outside the pocket.. I saw a comment Carson palmer made about burrow being better than Mahomes. Sure ok! Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL, as you said his passing abilities allow Reid to set up the run.. I just used Mahomes for an example. Burrow has an excellent ground game as his passing sets up the run.. we have one of the best all around backs in the league in rham as you stated if we can get that passing attack going rham is getting 4 ,5 YPC..
Being able to make plays with your legs is sort of overrated if you can make the right read at the line, and I think Burrow also falls into that category. Greg Cosell had some really good insight previously in an appearance with Tom Curran on his podcast:

“Patrick Mahomes is in the Super Bowl, O.K.? Obviously, he’s a little bit of a transcendent talent," said Cosell. "Josh Allen is on a team that, by the way, is not as good as people think, he’s a little bit of a transcendent talent. There’s not a lot of those guys. You still gotta line up and play, and you can still win. You certainly can.”

“Just throw out a totally abstract example. We know that a Mahomes can beat pressure by moving and making those special plays. What happens if, in that situation, Mac Jones comes to the line, and you know what, he sees that blitz, and he changes the play, and then he drills a 17-yard completion to a wide receiver, and you don’t even know what he did at the line – because no one really knows that – that prevented him from [having to run]? That’s the stuff that Mac Jones ultimately can do.”

Come on, Herbert is an excellent quarterback. He's easily top 10 in the NFL. The passing game has kept that team afloat over the past 3 seasons. Their running game gets worse every year, their defenses haven't been good, and their head coach is an idiot. Herbert had a noticeable dip in his TD% this season but his INT% was very good and he completed 68.2% of his passes. Really there are few weaknesses in his game. Only Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow grade higher than Herbert. I also had Hurts jump ahead of him after the SB performance. So Herbert is 5th in my QB ranking.

Come on, Herbert is an excellent quarterback. He's easily top 10 in the NFL. The passing game has kept that team afloat over the past 3 seasons. Their running game gets worse every year, their defenses haven't been good, and their head coach is an idiot. Herbert had a noticeable dip in his TD% this season but his INT% was very good and he completed 68.2% of his passes. Really there are few weaknesses in his game. Only Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow grade higher than Herbert. I also had Hurts jump ahead of him after the SB performance. So Herbert is 5th in my QB ranking.
I will agree with @Real fan 02 in terms of Herbert's release - it's not great, and he definitely needs to work on it. Hopefully, he's getting some help there over the offseason. But other than that, he's been a solid player thus far.

The arrow is pointing up bigtime with Justin Fields. It's unfortunately pointing down with Mac at this point.

Yes! Excellent points. Mac is also sneaky athletic..
What is "sneaky athletic"? Like it's our secret weapon or something?

Being able to make plays with your legs is sort of overrated if you can make the right read at the line, and I think Burrow also falls into that category. Greg Cosell had some really good insight previously in an appearance with Tom Curran on his podcast:

“Patrick Mahomes is in the Super Bowl, O.K.? Obviously, he’s a little bit of a transcendent talent," said Cosell. "Josh Allen is on a team that, by the way, is not as good as people think, he’s a little bit of a transcendent talent. There’s not a lot of those guys. You still gotta line up and play, and you can still win. You certainly can.”

“Just throw out a totally abstract example. We know that a Mahomes can beat pressure by moving and making those special plays. What happens if, in that situation, Mac Jones comes to the line, and you know what, he sees that blitz, and he changes the play, and then he drills a 17-yard completion to a wide receiver, and you don’t even know what he did at the line – because no one really knows that – that prevented him from [having to run]? That’s the stuff that Mac Jones ultimately can do.”

I like it!!! Absolutely facts spoken. We had 19 seasons of bearing witness to those types of things.. that is Mac's strengths to diagnose, change the play at the line, manipulate the safety.

I mentioned his athletic ability becuase that tool becomes handy when we see a tough aggressive defense who I personally think is the best defense in the league in the jets.. they love to send heavy pressure and blitz packages so if no ones open then Mac can scramble for 8, 10 years and there is Thornton behind sauce for huge gain.. I should have clarified that.

The arrow is pointing up bigtime with Justin Fields. It's unfortunately pointing down with Mac at this point.

What is "sneaky athletic"? Like it's our secret weapon or something?
Meaning people don't look at Mac and think he'll be able to get out the pocket, ex. Bills playoff game.. bears game..

I will agree with @Real fan 02 in terms of Herbert's release - it's not great, and he definitely needs to work on it. Hopefully, he's getting some help there over the offseason. But other than that, he's been a solid player thus far.
Burrow had more batted passes than Herbert with nearly 100 less pass attempts. Herbert was the most blitzed QB in the NFL. The Chargers also led the NFL in dropped passes (although their drop% was 17th). No running game, bad coaching, etc... Herbert is not a problem for the Chargers. He's the exact opposite of that.

Burrow had more batted passes than Herbert with nearly 100 less pass attempts. Herbert was the most blitzed QB in the NFL. The Chargers also led the NFL in dropped passes (although their drop% was 17th). No running game, bad coaching, etc... Herbert is not a problem for the Chargers. He's the exact opposite of that.
I didn't say he was a problem for them. But I saw a fair amount of his games this season and was surprised at his arm angle for a guy his size.

Meaning people don't look at Mac and think he'll be able to get out the pocket, ex. Bills playoff game.. bears game..
I think O'Brien will come up with scramble plays and things to help when the protection breaks down. Again, that's all stuff that experienced coordinators tend to at least plan for, so I'm hoping that part will be better. Although, it'll be great if they just get the ball out of his hands quickly and it's not an issue, but we'll have to wait and see how that plays out.

They shouldn't be looking at Mac like that. He's nothing special outside of the pocket or when scrambling. He had 20 scrambles on the season which ranked 16th. However, yards per scramble attempt, Mac ranked 32nd among QBs with at least 4 starts. Protecting against Mac's scrambles is not part of the opposition's game plan.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
They shouldn't be looking at Mac like that. He's nothing special outside of the pocket or when scrambling. He had 20 scrambles on the season which ranked 16th. However, yards per scramble attempt, Mac ranked 32nd among QBs with at least 4 starts. Protecting against Mac's scrambles is not part of the opposition's game plan.
Ok maybe so.. however when he has had to run for first downs he has.. he created a 50 yd play to hh in that playoff game. So I don't really pay attention to ranks on scrambling... didn't even know that was a stat.. thank you for that information.

I read the first page of this thread. Went to the last page and read it too and it was pretty clear that the 4 pages I didn't read were exactly like the on and a half pages I did. OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH the drama of it all.

It's all a massive waste of time and digital trees spending time OVER analyzing the obvious. Jones is pissed at what he had to go through in his second season. Bill isn't mad THAT Jones is pissed, just the manner in which he handled the situation publically. They WILL deal with it. Mac is now in a FAR better coaching situation, and it will be up to him to show us that what we saw in year ONE was the REAL Mac Jones, not the QB we saw last year.

As to the "story" that the Pats actively shopped Mac, I think its speculation that was reported as fact. I mean the Pats would be irresponsible if they didn't try and gage the trade value of ALL their players at one time or the other. Why would a player get pissed over that. Jobs are EARNED in the NFL and Mac wasn't that good last year, Why WOULDN'T he expect to have to win his job back. SURE there were a LOT of legitimate excuses that could be made, but "you ARE what your record says you are." Wasn't that a big Parcells quote.

Listen we live in a world where 25% of the country's voters ACTUALLY think the 2020 election was a fraud, DESPITE the fact that it was the most highly scrutinized election in American history. IIRC there were around 70 suits filed by Trump claiming fraud, and more than a few were in front of Judges HE gave their jobs, and EVERY one of those suits were thrown due to lack of ACTUAL evidence. 0-70. And yet BECAUSE they WANT to believe it's true a significant minority believes the lie.

That is kind of what is happening here. There are some people here that were very unhappy with Mac's performance. They want to forget his first year entirely, when he was by FAR the best of the rookies, and are ready to move one. So when a reporter, who's job it is to create content, throws out some possible speculation that agrees with their narrative, they are going to run with it. and possibility quickly becomes absolute fact.

And in other news OBJ who last week told us he DIDN'T need $15MM guaranteed just got almost EXACTLY that number from the Ravens. $15MM for a guy who has had 67 catches and just over 850 receiving yards TOTAL over the last THREE seasons. Some think his signing will make Jackson want to come back and play for Baltimore. But I wonder if he isn't at home thinking, "Jesus, they just gave $15MM guaranteed to a guy who created fewer yds in 3 ****ing years than I create in 4 games, and I'M the one without a contract".

OK, late nite (early morning) rant is over. Sorry about that

"
Democrats are known for cheating. Liars too.

JFK got in office due to his dad ginning up more votes in Chicago.

Bottom line is there was an agreement that the 2020 vote counting could be observed by a 3rd party and that agreement was breached.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back