PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I really miss WWW

Status
Not open for further replies.
A put down....... without countering arguments....... is an exercise of the feeble minded.

What a silly notion.

Either counter my post with facts...... or save your silly "high brow" cast off comments for those who actually still believe your schtick. :rolleyes:

Your post didn't offer facts. It offered an incredibly lame series of opinions that had nothing factual backing them up.

BTW, 9 catches and 2 TDs on 11 targets in the rain isn't any sort of issue with his hands, despite your fervent hope that it be so. Meanwhile, in NFL history, no receiver has caught more passes in a 6 season stretch than Wes Welker. You can claim he's not elite, that he's meh/Jag/garbage/whatever, but the fact is that he's currently in the most prolific stretch of pass receiving in NFL history.

Oh, yeah, and he'd have had 3 TDs last night if Manning hadn't missed on the bomb when Welker had smoked Webb on the outside.

Good comedy. Factually garbage, but good comedy.

It is amazing. The blue jersey comes off and the ex player becomes nothing but a JAG.

Blaming Welker because the Patriots tried screwing him over with the money instead of paying him his worth, when they had plenty of money to pay him a proper salary, is so stupid that even most Jets fans would know better, yet here on this board we repeatedly get Patriots fans who mindly spew that nonsense.

It's pathetic.

A proper salary? NE's offer wasn't proper? What a stupid sentiment.

Welker was offered 2 years/$10 mil (+ 5 levels of incentives; 3 of which were reachable). But Welker's agent -- who clearly had no clue how bad the market was -- publicly called it "a joke" of an offer and refused to talk to NE. So, Welk hit the open market expecting 3 years and roughly $8 mil per....But they never got such an offer....3 days of FA went by....they hardly got any offers. Just DEN (and rumors from Tenn). But no one offered that 3yr/$24. Not even close. The best offer they got was for 2/$12? Hmm. Pretty much on-target with NE's offer. Way, way off from Welker's requested salary. Who was that "joke" on, again?

So the Pats offer wasn't off the mark at all. In fact, it was pretty dead-on. If Welker's agent knew this, he wouldn't have called off negotiations with NE. He would have continued to talk --- and as Bob Kraft said; NE would've matched 2/$12. But it never happened...because Welker's camp broke off negotiations because they had no clue about the market.

Meh, it's all laundry to me.

Welker was offered 2 years/$10 mil (+ 5 levels of incentives; 3 of which were reachable). But Welker's agent -- who clearly had no clue how bad the market was -- publicly called it "a joke" of an offer and refused to talk to NE. So, Welk hit the open market expecting 3 years and roughly $8 mil per....But they never got such an offer....3 days of FA went by....they hardly got any offers. Just DEN (and rumors from Tenn). But no one offered that 3yr/$24. Not even close. The best offer they got was for 2/$12? Hmm. Pretty much on-target with NE's offer. Way, way off from Welker's requested salary. Who was that "joke" on, again?

So the Pats offer wasn't off the mark at all. In fact, it was pretty dead-on. If Welker's agent knew this, he wouldn't have called off negotiations with NE. He would have continued to talk --- and as Bob Kraft said; NE would've matched 2/$12. But it never happened...because Welker's camp broke off negotiations because they had no clue about the market.

The team had years to give Welker a fitting salary, and a 3 year deal with $20 million bonus/guaranteed would reportedly have been what Welker's camp was looking for, and would have been a perfectly reasonable contract. Instead, the Patriots tried to massage the market by keeping him on the low salary, franchising him for a season and then lowballing him in a down cap year.

Don't be so unthinking that you miss the obvious.

That was hard for me to watch Welker on the Broncos last night. I was kind of rooting for and against him at the same time.

I had a few emotions, the first was sadness about him being in a different uniform, the second was anger about him catching balls from Peyton Manning. Welker had a really good night last night and seems to be on the same page as Manning, that team has a lot of talent, and as if Welker, Thomas, Decker weren’t enough they have Julius Thomas who appeared to emerge last night as a legitimate receiving threat.

Yeah, NE had a better gauge of Welker's market than his agent did.

What screwed Wes was getting hurt in 2009. After another dominant season, he was due to get paid and had some serious leverage if he wanted to use it. But after he blew out his knee, he had to prove in 2010 that he was able to come back and then prove again in 2011 that he could be the same guy.

In retrospect, NE could have given him another contract after 2010, trusting that he'd return to full strength the next year, and been very happy with it. But it wasn't all about NE just screwing him, there were other factors.

After 118 catches, Bill felt Wes deserved a 50% pay cut. And now one of NE's biggest obstacles on the way to the SB has the best slot WR in football.
It is a puzzling decision on BB's part. Time will tell.

and yet hes making almost the same amount now as the offer the pats gave him with incentives.

Clearly everyone though he was worth less then he himself, and some of his fans thought.

Meh, it's all laundry to me.

I agree with you has much as I loved him as a player Welker is gone and yes his good game last night makes that sting even more but he is gone and it is all water under the bridge, on top of that honestly I am not that concerned with him being on the Broncos, I have bigger concerns over the 2 Thomas’s than Welker. A 5’9 185 Lb. slot WR can be controlled, but a 6’3 230 Lb. WR and a 6’5 250 Lb. TE is a totally different story.

If Amendola puts up that stat line every game this year, I think everyone would be happy with that.

You called him the the third best WR on the broncos. A mere dump off guy. What do you define as a JAG?

He led the team in receptions yesterday. Not bad for, in your opinion, the third option on that offense.

I said he was a productive slot-guy in an offense that was HAVING it's way with a defense that CLEARLY had issues. Build up his role if you like, but the fact remains,,,,,,,,,,

Last night, he was a check down receiver......... not much else. Catch a lot of very short balls. HE was there for his QB (did anyone expect him not to be??), but he wasn't great. That is what I SAW. He made a few vintage WW plays, but he also made a key mistake that led to points for the opposing team. Judging on what I saw..... he was not, and WILL NOT be the focus of that offense. He'll be productive and many great slot guys are, but he'll just be a cog in the wheel. He still would be a focus here..... HE CHOSE that. Let's be fair though. I think D. Thomas is one of the elite WRs in this league (or becoming one), so when I say 2nd best receiver on the Broncos..... it's not exactly a slap on the face.

It's amazing how some of you refuse be objective and and yet point fingers at everyone else for not being objective. I'd rather have WW here then in Denver. I think he made a mistake choosing that offense, because he WON'T be a feature there.

NE judged the market for WW pretty fairly (as it turns out by other offers), but WW was the one that choose to leave, LIKE MANY OTHERS BEFORE HIM.

I love it...Bob Kraft "wouldv'e"!!!
Give a low ball offer and blame the player for looking elsewhere. These are the kinds of excuses you offer to the true believers when you f*c*ed up and lost....and the herd buys in all the way. Nice job BK.

Oh, yeah, and he'd have had 3 TDs last night if Manning hadn't missed on the bomb when Welker had smoked Webb on the outside.

We'd also have a 4th Super Bowl if he'd have caught a eminently catchable ball a few years ago too. ;)

and yet hes making almost the same amount now as the offer the pats gave him with incentives.

Clearly everyone though he was worth less then he himself, and some of his fans thought.

He's playing for the Broncos. If being close on a contract is satisfaction enough then BB wins this round. $9 mill in cap space and a moral victory........that is sweeet

The team had years to give Welker a fitting salary, and a 3 year deal with $20 million bonus/guaranteed would reportedly have been what Welker's camp was looking for, and would have been a perfectly reasonable contract. Instead, the Patriots tried to massage the market by keeping him on the low salary, franchising him for a season and then lowballing him in a down cap year.

Don't be so unthinking that you miss the obvious.

No, they were looking for $24mm.

Ultimately, Wes' agent had much to do with him be franchised because they were asking for more money in the first two year of the deal than it would cost the Patriots to just tag him twice. Except in the tag scenario, NE has no injury risk after the first year.

We'd also have a 4th Super Bowl if he'd have caught a eminently catchable ball a few years ago too. ;)

Or if the Defense could have held a 80 yrd drive.....again. Amazing how guys reduce his time here to that singular play.

No, they were looking for $24mm.

Most reports say otherwise.

Ultimately, Wes' agent had much to do with him be franchised because they were asking for more money in the first two year of the deal than it would cost the Patriots to just tag him twice. Except in the tag scenario, NE has no injury risk after the first year.

Again, he was reportedly asking for about $20m in bonuses/guarantees, that's an absolutely reasonable amount of money for him to have been asking, and that's far less than what the 'elite' WRs got last season, even with the down cap. Hell, the $24m would have been reasonable.

This was a case of the Patriots trying to manipulate according to the cap and CBA rather than playing straight with the player, the same as it was with Mankins. Why so many Patriots fans are so willing to ignore that and side with the team is something that would make an excellent research paper.

When the Patriots learn that you don't need to win every negotiation as long as you do well most of the time, they'll be better off as a front office, and as human beings as well.

It was funny watching the usual suspects in the thread last night grasp at straws to try to make a point that Welker wasn't actually having a good game. It sucks that he's on the Broncos but hopefully Amendola can overcome his past and actually play a 16 game season.

Again, he was reportedly asking for about $20m in bonuses/guarantees, that's an absolutely reasonable amount of money for him to have been asking, and that's far less than what the 'elite' WRs got last season, even with the down cap. Hell, the $24m would have been reasonable.

This was a case of the Patriots trying to manipulate according to the cap and CBA rather than playing straight with the player, the same as it was with Mankins. Why so many Patriots fans are so willing to ignore that and side with the team is something that would make an excellent research paper.

When the Patriots learn that you don't need to win every negotiation as long as you do well most of the time, they'll be better off as a front office, and as human beings as well.

$20mm in guarantees isn't the same thing as contract value. Total dollars he was asking for more than B2B tags, which was, frankly, ridiculous.

NE's FO gets a lot of guff for the same stuff every team does. Every successful team, anyway.

. Why so many Patriots fans are so willing to ignore that and side with the team is something that would make an excellent research paper.
Fans of team support team in good and bad. Hardly a shocker now is it!

Yeah that was rough. Need to see Amendola have a big game sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes