PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB watch

Your guess is just as blind as the other guys.

All I have to say is that Bob Kraft has been hands off for the BB era. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it here.

(Feelings don't count)
We traded Jimmy G instead of Tom Brady.

We traded Jimmy G instead of Tom Brady.
That doesn't mean anything. People read so much into that move. A) It was the right move to make regardless of who made it. B) The Pats won Super Bowls post-the trade. C) Jimmy G is made of glass and is always hurt.

I don't know why some people here have such a hardon for Jimmy G.

Your guess is just as blind as the other guys.

All I have to say is that Bob Kraft has been hands off for the BB era. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it here.

(Feelings don't count)
Kraft publicly commented that he was making the Brady contract decision.

This quote isn't getting a lot of play and maybe it should.
Bill being asked about his job this week and he said something to the effect of he was preparing for the Jets and he'll have time for reflection and reminiscing after.

Could be wrong but "reminiscing" doesn't really sound like something you'd do if you knew you were sticking around.

This quote isn't getting a lot of play and maybe it should.
Bill being asked about his job this week and he said something to the effect of he was preparing for the Jets and he'll have time for reflection and reminiscing after.

Could be wrong but "reminiscing" doesn't really sound like something you'd do if you knew you were sticking around.
Good catch.

Kraft publicly commented that he was making the Brady contract decision.
“I was just trying to stay ahead of the curve,” said Kraft. “If we were going to have to pay him elite-quarterback money and have elite-quarterback cap numbers, I just didn’t think we would be able to build a team. We don’t want to have a team where we’re paying 18 to 20 percent to a player on the cap. I wanted to do something elegant that would work for everybody. I had been talking to him off and on for maybe 18 months, about how I wanted him to finish his career here, and about how we both have to be smart about it. I just really want him to end his career a Patriot.”

Could the Patriots pull the rug out from Mayo after convincing him to remain? You betcha. If they did it to Tom Brady, they can do it to Mayo. A few years ago, I reported here that the Patriots had a three-year deal to keep Brady in New England. And that it was the Krafts, NOT Belichick, who pulled the deal, opting to go year-to-year.

I had spoken to a friend of the Bradys, who revealed this information. Tom E. Curran of NBC Sports Boston confirmed this and added that Robert Kraft made Belichick break the news to Brady.

Expanding on your point a bit….. In Jeff Darlington’s The Dynasty, which had input from Kraft, Belichick, and Brady (but Kraft was the biggest contributor), it was made very clear that Kraft handled the QB contracts. He decided to let Belichick work the 2010 contract, and Belichick kept dragging his feet and lowballing, such that Kraft pulled the negotiations back from Belichick and finished the deal himself. After that, it was always Kraft and Brady again like earlier. And it was made clear that Kraft and Belichick have the same player economic value system, so they were generally on the same page.

I appreciate Kraft for saving the team and keeping it here, but one thing that has irked me about him is his willingness to take credit through the years and let others take the blame. If Kraft was the contract negotiator for the QBs and had the same economic value system as Belichick, why does Kraft let Belichick take public heat about the Brady decision and leak information about how it was Belichick’s call. It was either Kraft’s decision or not, and I hate how he seems to try to take credit and throw people under the bus otherwise. This is an extension of what he did to Belichick during Spygate (publicly calling him a schmuck instead of standing up and backing his coach) and Deflategate (having lots of tough talk with the media but bending over and not backing his player with the league).

Expanding on your point a bit….. In Jeff Darlington’s The Dynasty, which had input from Kraft, Belichick, and Brady (but Kraft was the biggest contributor), it was made very clear that Kraft handled the QB contracts. He decided to let Belichick work the 2010 contract, and Belichick kept dragging his feet and lowballing, such that Kraft pulled the negotiations back from Belichick and finished the deal himself. After that, it was always Kraft and Brady again like earlier. And it was made clear that Kraft and Belichick have the same player economic value system, so they were generally on the same page.

I appreciate Kraft for saving the team and keeping it here, but one thing that has irked me about him is his willingness to take credit through the years and let others take the blame. If Kraft was the contract negotiator for the QBs and had the same economic value system as Belichick, why does Kraft let Belichick take public heat about the Brady decision and leak information about how it was Belichick’s call. It was either Kraft’s decision or not, and I hate how he seems to try to take credit and throw people under the bus otherwise. This is an extension of what he did to Belichick during Spygate (publicly calling him a schmuck instead of standing up and backing his coach) and Deflategate (having lots of tough talk with the media but bending over and not backing his player with the league).
If Kraft had not hired Belichick I think we would still be searching for our first Lombardi

My thoughts on BB are simple:
1) Providing that BB still wants to coach in NE, I think Kraft should give him at least one more year to see how well BB does with the draft capital and the abundance of cap space. He deserves a do-over.

2) If Kraft goes a different direction, it will be a bit of a bummer, but I will support the next choice and move on. I promise not to advocate for a BB forum or bring BB into every thread that discusses the Patriots failures/concerns (hopefully there will never be any of those :rofl:).

3) My biggest beef about this whole saga is that fans who basked in the glory of this historic run can be so disrespectful to the main mastermind of the whole championship era. It comes across as entitled and unappreciative (to put it nicely) and I don't understand why people have to be so unkind to someone that brought so much joy to their sports/football experience.

1) Providing that BB still wants to coach in NE, I think Kraft should give him at least one more year to see how well BB does with the draft capital and the abundance of cap space. He deserves a do-over.

2) If Kraft goes a different direction, it will be a bit of a bummer, but I will support the next choice and move on. I promise not to advocate for a BB forum or bring BB into every thread that discusses the Patriots failures/concerns (hopefully there will never be any of those :rofl:).

3) My biggest beef about this whole saga is that fans who basked in the glory of this historic run can be so disrespectful to the main mastermind of the whole championship era. It comes across as entitled and unappreciative (to put it nicely) and I don't understand why people have to be so unkind to someone that brought so much joy to their sports/football experience.
3 do-overs is plenty.

Not only did Belichick hire Patrica and Judge to be OC, OL coach and QB coach, he wanted them for another year. He was so pi$$ed off at having to replace Patricia with BOB that he refused to allow BOB to hire his own assistants and staff. In addition, he gave him virtually no help with signing players. He refused to bring Myers because he criticized Saint Patricia's offense. His answer at OT was Reiff, Anderson and Brown. When they ALL were injured, he refused to use resources to being in help.

So, Belichick was given a do-over for the 2023 season. Any other coach in the league would have been fired after last year, oir at very least demoted.

I think that watching the Germany game was the end. That game was much worse than yesterday.

Thanks for section 3 - my feelings exactly, but you put it more clearly and succinctly than I could have.

God, what a hit thread. Amazing that Bill had no role in any personnel decision. It’s all Matt Groh. :rolleyes:
The Bill homers want to give him credit for all the wins and good players he picked but when things go wrong it's all Mac or Matt Groh or Matt Patricia or Joe Judge...

The Bill homers want to give him credit for all the wins and good players he picked but when things go wrong it's all Mac or Matt Groh or Matt Patricia or Joe Judge...
Bill always gives credit to the players and accepts responsibility if it doesn't work. As a "Bill Homer", I accept that it took his coaching and TB's clutch play to complete the dynasties.

Bill always gives credit to the players and accepts responsibility if it doesn't work. As a "Bill Homer", I accept that it took his coaching and TB's clutch play to complete the dynasties.
I said it a few days ago. I give Bill all the credit in the world for seeing something in Brady to keep 4 QBs his rookie year, gambling on Gronk, some of the trades for guys like Moss, Welker, and Dillon that helped win a lot of games. I just think he also deserves the blame for the last 10 drafts and the post-Brady struggles. He had a better run than any coach in history but that is long gone and it's time to part ways.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back