PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical – would you trade Garoppolo to the Broncos?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade Jimmy Garoppolo to the Broncos?

• Yes

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 59 78.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Casell got us a high two only after starting 15 games to a team where Pioli was the GM.

Because whichever team took him had to guarantee him $15M.

Casell got us a high two only after starting 15 games to a team where Pioli was the GM.

He's still a great example of developing a young QB behind Brady and getting a great return, for him. And he never even played college football. Ultimately it's not how great they are or may be it's just a matter of how high you can sell him and to whom.

Von Miller and the 31 and i'd Do it. Otherwise elway can go jump

Perhaps Brady's worst game. Of course the fact that we cut Lawyer Milloy didn't help. However we beat the Bills by the same score 31-0, LOL
The irony was good theater, for sure.

Agreed. Using the Bledsoe as barometer is failed logic as well.

We got #15 for a 30 year old with 123 regular season and 7 playoff starts with about 30,000 passing yards and 160+ TD's. Posters throwing him a top 10 list is unrealistic.
The statement was made that no GM ever helped a rival solve their QB problem. I gave a counter example of *our* GM doing precisely that.

It cannot be disputed that, thanks to Belichick, the Bills upgraded significantly at that position.

JAG is over rated here
Pretty much every Patriots backup QB is overrated here. I took some time to read the forum history and it's pretty funny how the same conversation took place over Mallett. Not only did (some) people think he was easily worth a 1, there were those who thought that even *that* wasn't good enough.

Garoppolo holds a $950K this season and a $1.1M cap hit next. He is not as cheap as everyone suggests.

As of now Jimmy G has the 53rd highest cap number for a QB this year. Ranking will go lower after the draft. How much cheaper can a backup QB get?

Here are the backups with a lower cap hit than Garoppolo.
  1. Petty - Jets
  2. McCarron - Bengals
  3. Landry Jones- Steelers
  4. Savage - Texans
  5. Zach Mettenberg- Titans
  6. Trevor Siemian - Broncos
  7. Aaron Murray - Chiefs
  8. Kellen Clemens - Chargers
  9. Kellen Moore - Cowboys
  10. David Fales - Bears
  11. Ryan Nassib - Giants
  12. Dan Orlovsky - Lions
  13. Brett Hundley - Packers
  14. Sean Mannion - Rams
  15. Philip Sims - Seahawks

Pretty much every Patriots backup QB is overrated here. I took some time to read the forum history and it's pretty funny how the same conversation took place over Mallett. Not only did (some) people think he was easily worth a 1, there were those who thought that even *that* wasn't good enough.

My All time Favorite was a forum member who no longer posts here at least under that name who said,
"I GUARANTEE we'll get not one but TWO #1 picks for Matt Cassel"
I called him on it later and he suddenly disappeared.
We've all been wrong, but that was epic.

As of now Jimmy G has the 53rd highest cap number for a QB this year. Ranking will go lower after the draft. How much cheaper can a backup QB get?

1. Petty - Jets
  2. McCarron - Bengals
  4. Savage - Texans
  7. Aaron Murray - Chiefs
  10. David Fales - Bears
  11. Ryan Nassib - Giants
  12. Dan Orlovsky - Lions
  14. Sean Mannion - Rams

Note: This post underwent a dramatic edit.

Miguel points out that there 85 QBs under contract in a subsequent post. At #53 total on that list in cap hit, Garoppolo is right around the 56% mark along the curve for QB salaries. Not bad for a 3rd year guy. I agree with Miguel, there's no economic reason to trade him.

(If the previous poster's suggested Von Miller plus the Broncos #1 offer was real, the Patriots should take that, and seek psychiatric help for John Elway.)

Last edited:
The facts are these:

- The guy was drafted very late in the 2nd round 2 years ago

- There is no reason to think he is seen as any more valuable today than he was back then because he simply hasn't played a meaningful down. Your draft stock doesn't rise when you warm the bench for 2 years

- The fact that he has carried Tom Brady's clipboard for 2 years does not make him more valuable, in fact it makes him less valuable because he has 2 fewer years remaining on his rookie contract

There are a total of 95 QBs under contract.

Thanks Miguel. The conclusion is the same. JG's not overpaid, and his value is greatest to the Patriots as an incumbent backup in a Josh McDaniels offense.

I would do it BUT only for a 1st rounder next year and their 2nd rounder this year.

And what if he just so happens to be really good?

The beauty of trading is that you have a say where they go, sending him to Denver is a really bad idea, sending him to Chicago e.g..... a good idea. I would rather drop a few spots and see him once every four years.

1. Petty - Jets
  2. McCarron - Bengals
  4. Savage - Texans
  7. Aaron Murray - Chiefs
  10. David Fales - Bears
  11. Ryan Nassib - Giants
  12. Dan Orlovsky - Lions
  14. Sean Mannion - Rams
That was not the point of my post. Posters act as if Garoppolo is 1/3 the cost of a veteran back up and that is very untrue, Luke McCown is only about $300K more.

For the record I know how to use spotrac.com too. If I was trying to make the point that Garoppolo was to expensive I could have cut and paste the list myself. Like I said that was not the point.

Well Its a problem Im trying to get help but also I beleive besides the zillion dollar Miller those are also the next top players on the Donkeys.
So the fact their receivers would make it sweeter for me.

With the Pats already having Gronk, Edelman, Bennett, Hogan, Amendola, and Washington, is it a need to add another wide receiver, especially one who is known to disappear in big games in Thomas? Especially considering how much it would cost to pay them? In this hypothetical you brought cost into it by calling him Zillion Dollar Miller so that's a consideration. But since we really aren't factoring that in, as the Patriots cannot afford either receiver right now, I'd say Miller, Talib, Chris Harris, Derek Wolfe, and possibly Ware and Roby would be more valuable, just for starters.

The facts are these:

- The guy was drafted very late in the 2nd round 2 years ago

- There is no reason to think he is seen as any more valuable today than he was back then because he simply hasn't played a meaningful down. Your draft stock doesn't rise when you warm the bench for 2 years

- The fact that he has carried Tom Brady's clipboard for 2 years does not make him more valuable, in fact it makes him less valuable because he has 2 fewer years remaining on his rookie contract

Remember this axiom:

Not all the decision makers are rational actors, and not all questions have objective answers.

Think about it for a moment: Would you rather have—

* A rookie QB for four years, or
* A QB who's been mentored by the GOAT for two years?

There isn't an a priori correct answer.

Blah blah blah my ass, you have already shown that you have horrible judgment when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks so you would be better off sitting this out instead of giving us your blowing in the wind analysis. I'm fine with trading Garrapolo for the right offer but making that deal with a rival who only needs a QB to be a serious competitor is foolish. If Garrapolo is worth that high a pick them someone a little bit lower who won't be a serious rival for them would be willing to part with that lower pick. Making a deal for the Browns second would be an intelligent move, trading him to Denver is not.

Cleveland is not part of the convo...but nice try trying to pull **** out of your ass

Anyway, are you that scared of Denver with Garoppolo? The Pats health was the issue, not who plays QB for the Broncos

I still want the #32 pick and would trade Garrapolo if they could get within a few picks of it, but not for less than that. The way Brady is taking care of himself and playing he will be great for some time to come and I would extend him for four to five years as soon as possible. Unless he's willing to wait another five to six years Garrapolo won't be the Patriots starter.

Brady is playing the best football of his career, he's in exceptional shape, and he is clearly motivated, I can't think of any reason he won't continue to play another four to five seasons at a minimum. There's no way Garrapolo is going to want to sit for six to seven seasons before getting his chance, he's chomping at the bit already and routinely has his helmet on in fourth quarters hoping he will get some snaps.Move him to make up for the theft of their first in there coming draft and then start grooming another and see how they do.

Blah blah blah...you'd be a total moron if you didn't take ANYONES #1 for Garoppolo.....period....end of story

The pats are toast if Brady goes down....period....end of story

A player such as Jonathan Bullard or Jason Spriggs is worth 10x on this roster versus JG.....period.....end of story

please dont let me start the Save JG from illegal contact thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back