PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB do you want the Patriots to draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which QB do you want the Patriots to draft?

• Total voters
It is tempting to trade with MINN (pick a QB), and then trade up for a top OT. Using our 34, we could then have 2 picks in the top 11. Using our 68, we'd still have a chance at a very good LT.

If we use our 34 and the 23 to move to 8 or so, we would meet both our needs from the top 11.
If they trade with Minn they aren’t getting anything more than a back up QB. My only mention of it was in the batshit crazy scenario where they got Hebert. I have zero interest in Nix and Penix.

My take on Nix and Penix is that if they take one of them in the first round they will be wasting at least 2 more years at QB, which means that the earliest they will ever be relevant again is 27’-28’, and that’s only if they find a franchise QB in 26’. Mayo and probably Wolf will both end up losing their jobs, and Jr. be in charge by then.

If they trade with Minn they aren’t getting anything more than a back up QB. My only mention of it was in the batshit crazy scenario where they got Hebert. I have zero interest in Nix and Penix.
You keep saying this but are simply blowing smoke out of your ass. Odds are greater that a higher draft pick is more successful but the greatest qb of all times was drafted in the 6th round. Last years Super Bowl qbs were 10th and in the 7th round. Stop acting like you actually have a clue. It gets really old.

Who should they pick?

Caleb if he's available, of course.
Then Maye
Then Daniels
Then throw McCarthy, Nix, Penix, and Rattler in a tumbler and shake it until one falls out. Penix is the best thrower, McCarthy has a lot of experience under center and good footwork in his drop (I hear), Nix is a tough and complete package, and Rattler throws really well in short-intermediate areas.

My take on Nix and Penix is that if they take one of them in the first round they will be wasting at least 2 more years at QB, which means that the earliest they will ever be relevant again is 27’-28’, and that’s only if they find a franchise QB in 26’. Mayo and probably Wolf will both end up losing their jobs, and Jr. be in charge by then.
so you keep on saying

You believe that McCarthy and Maye are significantly more likely to be a top 15 QB than Nix and Penix. Perhaps this is true, and perhaps it is not.

There are many, many out there who do not believe that either will be a top QB.
===========
I trust the team's evaluation.

It is not at all clear that ANY of the top QB's will be star QB's. For example, I don't want to see Williams on our team. I have come to believe that Daniels has the best chance to be a really top QB. The campaign for McCarthy reminds me of a recent QB that SF was going to draft at 3, and then fell to 15.
====================
BTW, who are the recent QB's drafted from #2 to #9? The reality is that SB quality franchise QB's are rare; 3 or 4 is very unlikely.
===========================
Sure, I'd like to get a Mahomes or a Brady. A much more erasonable goal is a top 15 QB, with the idea of building a team around his strengths and weaknesses. Sure, there are the rare QB's that can carry a team by themselves. But, for me, "Mahomes or bust" is not a great strategy.

Specifically for the Patriots I have them Williams>Maye>McCarthy>Daniels.

I'm not convinced by Daniels in our scheme and in the weather.

You keep saying this but are simply blowing smoke out of your ass. Odds are greater that a higher draft pick is more successful but the greatest qb of all times was drafted in the 6th round. Last years Super Bowl qbs were 10th and in the 7th round. Stop acting like you actually have a clue. It gets really old.

That’s my opinion on it, if you don’t like it that’s fine with me.

so you keep on saying

You believe that McCarthy and Maye are significantly more likely to be a top 15 QB than Nix and Penix. Perhaps this is true, and perhaps it is not.

===========

It is not at all clear that ANY of the top QB's will be star QB's. For example, I don't want to see Williams on our team. I have come to believe that Daniels has the best chance to be a really top QB. The campaign for McCarthy reminds me of a recent QB that SF was going to draft at 3, and then fell to 15.
====================
BTW, who are the recent QB's drafted from #2 to #9? The reality is that SB quality franchise QB's are rare; 3 or 4 is very unlikely.
Sure, I'd like to get a Mahomes or a Brady. A much more erasonable goal is a top 15 QB, with the idea of building a team around his strengths and weaknesses. Sure, there are the rare QB's that can carry a team by themselves. But, for me, "Mahomes or bust" is not a great strategy.

Yes, I believe the top 4 have franchise potential, and I don’t believe either Nix or Penix have that ceiling. Whether I’m right or not is another question, but I’m pretty sure it’s ok to have that opinion. Some here hate Daniels, that’s their opinion of him, and debating these differences is why this site exists. It’s draft season, these kinds of debates rage on every fan site out there. Anyone who doesn’t want to read my opinion is more than welcome to put me on ignore, it won’t hurt my feelings one bit. In fact ever since Ian told me where the ignore feature is now I have put a number of people that I consider assholes on ignore, so as to kill off any back and forth between us. It works well, I recommend it to anyone who isn’t interested in talking to other posters they don’t like, including me.

so you keep on saying

===========

====================

It’s not 1st ballot HOF QB or bust, it’s franchise QB or bust, as I believe you need a franchise QB to win championships. If all you are interested in is win now, and making the playoffs then guys like Nix or Penix may get that done for you, but if you want to beat the teams with the best QB’s then you need one of the best QB’s as well. So for me I want a guy who can make a run at the top 5-6 QB’s in the league, and that’s what I would be going for every year until they find that guy. Because imo the only reason to be doing this is to win Championships, not to just be mediocre. I believe the top 3-4 in this draft have that ceiling, I don’t believe any of the others do. Could I be wrong? Certainly, because I’m going on a fraction of the information the teams have, but that’s true of every draft at every position. We all have different levels of knowledge and information, and we are all looking for different qualities in players, and that’s what these debates are about. Marvin Harrison Jr. is the favorite for the top WR in this class, but I would take Nabers ahead of Harrison Jr. because I want a more explosive WR who is going to make big plays after the catch, whereas Harrison is more of a great possession receiver. I would rather have a Randy Moss type receiver than a Larry Fitzgerald WR, but both are rightly first ballot HOF players. I always want the biggest DL in the draft, like T’Vonfre Sweat this year, because I always want a DT that commands double teams, clogs the middle, and opens it up for the rest of the line to get after the QB, others feel that’s a part time player and not with as high a pick. That’s just the way it is. And while some are pissed that they see me keep making similar arguments, what they don’t realize is that I’m responding to those who are responding to me in” likes, dislikes, quoted, etc….. and I’m going to continue doing that. What I won’t do is start thread after thread on the same topic just to keep talking about it.

That’s my opinion on it, if you don’t like it that’s fine with me.
Just make sure you keep saying it over and over just in case any of us missed it the first thirty times you said it.

Also, I will give you a life lesson. If you preface statements with “in my opinion” or “I believe” or even “I think”, when discussing something you have no way of being sure about, you come across as much less an idiot or pompous ass. Especially when everyone on the board knows you don’t have a clue and are simply spouting your emotional rantings.

I’ll take Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Williams, Nix, Penix, Rattler. I’m easy to please. Just know wtf your doing and nail the draft picks and I’ll give them a pass.

If I had to pick at 3 it’s Maye or Daniels.

I’ll take Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Williams, Nix, Penix, Rattler. I’m easy to please. Just know wtf your doing and nail the draft picks and I’ll give them a pass.

If I had to pick at 3 it’s Maye or Daniels.
I have my preferences but understand they know much more than me, so if the take the QB at 3 I have the confidence in AVP that the QB is envisioned as a playoff QB. Same with WRs. I am just ready, waiting is killing me. By the way Matt Coral is looking pretty good for Birmingham Stallions.

Just make sure you keep saying it over and over just in case any of us missed it the first thirty times you said it.

Just make sure you keep responding to what I say.

Also, I will give you a life lesson. If you preface statements with “in my opinion” or “I believe” or even “I think”, when discussing something you have no way of being sure about, you come across as much less an idiot or pompous ass. Especially when everyone on the board knows you don’t have a clue and are simply spouting your emotional rantings.

That’s so hurtful.

Maye was my binky since it started to become clear the Pats would draft in the top 5.

He still is but I'm jumping on the Daniel's wagon now, so one of them will be available and I'm happy with the Pats taking one of them and developing.

Maye was my binky since it started to become clear the Pats would draft in the top 5.

He still is but I'm jumping on the Daniel's wagon now, so one of them will be available and I'm happy with the Pats taking one of them and developing.
I can’t get off McCarthy he has the footwork and throwing ability.
Maye is a lottery ticket, Daniel’s scares me a ton, the frame and the fact he had a stacked wr corps.

I think with Mac Jones the Patriots and most of us fans were going on the TB concept. Smart guy with a short to intermediate passing game. Winner. What Mac did not have was true Leadership, Toughness, competitiveness and the “IT” factor that shows up not very often. Also the mental toughness that only winners have.
Mahomes adds that arm strength and elusiveness that Brady did not have. These two are unicorns. You have to be smart but also lucky to secure one. Brady had elusiveness. just not the wheels that also extends drives.

I think with Maye, Daniels and JJ you have that arm strength (more so with Maye and JJ). And elusiveness (Daniels strong point) that make a player easier to work with to be successful. Maye also has that football body that can’t be taught.
Now which one has better traits for Leadership, Toughness, Competitiveness and mental toughness. That is where Wolf and Co. need to get right. If they do we have a franchise QB. This class has a very high floor of candidates. Hopefully we pick the one that reaches his ceiling also.

Like Allen. He had so much promise with his arm and legs and built. He also had other faults that needed and could be corrected to succeed. Good coaching and system compatibility is a must. Without it players get broken.

We have 3 candidates that have the stuff that can’t be taught. Which one better fits us and the NFL. It’s a must we get this right. Which also means if all 3 (unlikely) don’t pass the sniff test then trade down. If one or more has enough to feel good picking at 3. Then pick him and coach him up

Last edited:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back