PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical – would you trade Garoppolo to the Broncos?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade Jimmy Garoppolo to the Broncos?

• Yes

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 59 78.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to see jimmy take over here in a couple of years

The Broncos won a Super Bowl with the worst Quarterback in football last year, and somehow managed to make the situation even worse, why in hell would the Patriots help them fix it? There are many places Garrapolo could be traded to, Denver is not on that list.

I think that Jimmy is legit. As in he could be a top 10 QB in the league. And I firmly believe that you don't trade a QB of that talent with your starting QB nearing 40. Even if that starting QB is Brady. Because at that age injuries heal slower, and one really bad hit could quickly shorten Bradys career. Just look at Manning and Favre as two QBs near 40 who quickly declined because of injuries. Yes Manning had that neck thing, but he was still really good in 2013 and 2014, and then injuries hit and he was awful in 2015.

Trading Garoppolo for a 1st rounder is a no brainier regardless of who.

If we are given what the Rams and Eagles gave up then I would do it. I don't see any difference in Goff, Wentz and Garoppolo apart from a longer rookie contract, but feel being in the league 2 years is more important.

I'd then bring in Hoyer and draft another prospect.

Edit - So, to put in terms of value.. Give us 1000pts on the draft chart.

And that 31st pick isn't going to cut it at 600pts, it would also need to be a second and third rounder too.
1st (31) 600
2nd (64) 270
3rd (96) 116

TOTAL = 986pts

Last edited:
The Broncos won a Super Bowl with the worst Quarterback in football last year, and somehow managed to make the situation even worse, why in hell would the Patriots help them fix it? There are many places Garrapolo could be traded to, Denver is not on that list.
While I can see your POV here and even agree in some facets I think you could make the same case for why we would send Chandler Jones to a team we open against and probably the SB favorite from the NFC.

My goodness your affinity for wide receivers knows no bounds.
Well Its a problem Im trying to get help but also I beleive besides the zillion dollar Miller those are also the next top players on the Donkeys.
So the fact their receivers would make it sweeter for me.

If Elway called and offered you #31 and a couple of other picks in this draft or a future draft would you make the trade?

If you followed the past 2 drafts, you would have a hard time arguing against the belief that Garoppolo would have been the #3 QB prospect in 2015 and the #3 QB prospect in this year’s draft. Garoppolo was the #32 ranked prospect in 2014, that was a loaded draft class. I have seen debates where people diminished Garoppolo value based on the performance of other Patriots backups, but that is absolutely meaningless to when evaluating him.

Pretend we could sign Hoyer to a team friendly deal as the backup QB.

I may be mistaken, but I believe we can't have any 1st Rder PERIOD, which would make this entire hypothetical exercise irrelevant.

Even if that is not the case, I remember all the Ryan Mallet trade packages dreamed up right here 2 offseasons ago, including the ridiculous notions of getting the #1 overall.

If they were able to find a trade partner for Grapes I don't believe it would be for anything higher than a late 2nd. If the scenario was Jimmy for #63 and, say, a 5th like this year or next that would sound a little more rational. Posters here really seem to overestimate the actual value of our roster IMHO.

While I can see your POV here and even agree in some facets I think you could make the same case for why we would send Chandler Jones to a team we open against and probably the SB favorite from the NFC.

A defensive end you only face every four years with a nominal possibility of facing in the Super Bowl and a young QB you have groomed to start going to your primary competitor, who you literally face every year are very very different things. I'm not opposed completely to trading Garrapolo but I would not send him to a good AFC team let alone one that is a QB away from being a total pain in the ass in the AFC Playoffs. I would trade Garrapolo for Cleveland's second without much concern but never to The Bills, Jets, Fish, Bronco's etc......

I may be mistaken, but I believe we can't have any 1st Rder PERIOD, which would make this entire hypothetical exercise irrelevant.

Even if that is not the case, I remember all the Ryan Mallet trade packages dreamed up right here 2 offseasons ago, including the ridiculous notions of getting the #1 overall.

If they were able to find a trade partner for Grapes I don't believe it would be for anything higher than a late 2nd. If the scenario was Jimmy for #63 and, say, a 5th like this year or next that would sound a little more rational. Posters here really seem to overestimate the actual value of our roster IMHO.

That's not the case. They can trade for a first but would lose anything above 29. If they received 30 or31 they would lose their first and keep the lower pick.

For the record I don't believe there is any way for fans to know whether Garrapolo is any good or not, Mallett sucked and lasted 3 years in NE, but I do believe he's probably more pro ready than most draft picks ever could be. The only advantage is control as he will hit free agency in two years, not for to five.

The problem is that the Patriots are hamstrung by the stupid, excessive, unfounded Deflategate appeal. They can't trade Garoppolo until they know whether the 4-game suspension will be imposed on Tom Brady. I suppose they could sign Hoyer and Mallett and hope for the best, but JG has much more upside and confidence than those guys.

Still, I don't see a glaring need on this team that demands that an unproven rookie to step in as a starter in game one. OL is the greatest need, but there's talent there and Scar is back to get the most out of them.

Barring an injury, what exactly are the Patriots looking for that isn't provided by a competent veteran?

I trust Bill on this.

He was comfortable trading Drew inside the division because he wasn't scared of him.

We don't know what he really thinks of Jimmy. For all we know he could think that he's maxed out.

With that said I would want more than #31.

bill's done it before, trading a pretty good starting QB to a division rival for a #1 pick. Seemed to work out OK.....

bill's done it before, trading a pretty good starting QB to a division rival for a #1 pick. Seemed to work out OK.....

That's because he knew from experience within the division that he could shut him down and that his interception issues would doom him in the playoffs, and he knew keeping Bledsoe on the bench was not an option. It also cleared out huge cap space, unless he believes Garrapolo will fail there is no analogy.

That's not the case. They can trade for a first but would lose anything above 29. If they received 30 or31 they would lose their first and keep the lower pick.
Just to be clear, they could trade for the current 29, too. :)

The problem is that the Patriots are hamstrung by the stupid, excessive, unfounded Deflategate appeal. They can't trade Garoppolo until they know whether the 4-game suspension will be imposed on Tom Brady. I suppose they could sign Hoyer and Mallett and hope for the best, but JG has much more upside and confidence than those guys.

Still, I don't see a glaring need on this team that demands that an unproven rookie to step in as a starter in game one. OL is the greatest need, but there's talent there and Scar is back to get the most out of them.

Barring an injury, what exactly are the Patriots looking for that isn't provided by a competent veteran?

(A) Mallett's with the Ratbirds.
(B) Even if they could sign Hoyer as a replacement, I still don't see it happening. I'll explain why in a separate post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back