PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical – would you trade Garoppolo to the Broncos?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade Jimmy Garoppolo to the Broncos?

• Yes

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 59 78.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixing the biggest problem for your number one rival for the AFC Championship is idiotic, period.

Not trading Garoppollo for a #1 is idiotic .... Period

I love how this works

I may be mistaken, but I believe we can't have any 1st Rder PERIOD, which would make this entire hypothetical exercise irrelevant.

Even if that is not the case, I remember all the Ryan Mallet trade packages dreamed up right here 2 offseasons ago, including the ridiculous notions of getting the #1 overall.

If they were able to find a trade partner for Grapes I don't believe it would be for anything higher than a late 2nd. If the scenario was Jimmy for #63 and, say, a 5th like this year or next that would sound a little more rational. Posters here really seem to overestimate the actual value of our roster IMHO.

which is why I would do JG for a #1 in a heartbeat

Not trading Garoppollo for a #1 is idiotic .... Period

I love how this works

Lmao- the guy who wanted to trade Brady and start Garrapolo now wants to trade Garrapolo to the Patriots primary competitor for the AFC Championship. That make zero sense, nor does equating Garrapolo with Mallett, they are radically different QBs, the only analogy is that they play the same position.

Lmao- the guy who wanted to trade Brady and start Garrapolo now wants to trade Garrapolo to the Patriots primary competitor for the AFC Championship. That make zero sense, nor does equating Garrapolo with Mallett, they are radically different QBs, the only analogy is that they play the same position.

Blah blah blah...you'd be a total moron if you didn't take ANYONES #1 for Garoppolo.....period....end of story

The pats are toast if Brady goes down....period....end of story

A player such as Jonathan Bullard or Jason Spriggs is worth 10x on this roster versus JG.....period.....end of story

Trading Garrapolo for the lowest first round pick in a draft when the situation with Brady is uncertain is absurd under the current circumstances. If the Pats are interested in trading Garrapolo at all, they should wait until the Brady's status is resolved and a better pick will be available in next years draft.

Blah blah blah...you'd be a total moron if you didn't take ANYONES #1 for Garoppolo.....period....end of story

The pats are toast if Brady goes down....period....end of story

A player such as Jonathan Bullard or Jason Spriggs is worth 10x on this roster versus JG.....period.....end of story

Blah blah blah my ass, you have already shown that you have horrible judgment when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks so you would be better off sitting this out instead of giving us your blowing in the wind analysis. I'm fine with trading Garrapolo for the right offer but making that deal with a rival who only needs a QB to be a serious competitor is foolish. If Garrapolo is worth that high a pick them someone a little bit lower who won't be a serious rival for them would be willing to part with that lower pick. Making a deal for the Browns second would be an intelligent move, trading him to Denver is not.

JAG is over rated here

Like every other backup QB they have it's always impossible to know how good they are or can be. They have drafted everything from the GOAT to absolute busts like Mallett, and we always factor in development behind Brady and conflate it with Rodgers behind Favre when thinking about value. We have also watched team after team gamble on backup QBs and while some have won, e.g....Favre to Green Bay, most have lost, e.g... Rob Johnson to Buffalo. So while we usually overrate out young back up QBs there is some history to fuel that speculation, e.g... Cassel to K.C. for the #33. As I have said a number of times I would seriously consider offers for Garrapolo but wouldn't bite unless it was a really high second or late first just not with Denver out a serious rival. I doubt it will happen because of control but wouldn't rule it out entirely.

(A) Mallett's with the Ratbirds.
(B) Even if they could sign Hoyer as a replacement, I still don't see it happening. I'll explain why in a separate post.

Thanks, I did not know that Mallett was signed beyond the 2015 season. The Patriots surely wouldn't trade anything for him to come back in an emergency backup role if the appeals court overturns Judge Berman.

Blah blah blah my ass, you have already shown that you have horrible judgment when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks so you would be better off sitting this out instead of giving us your blowing in the wind analysis. I'm fine with trading Garrapolo for the right offer but making that deal with a rival who only needs a QB to be a serious competitor is foolish. If Garrapolo is worth that high a pick them someone a little bit lower who won't be a serious rival for them would be willing to part with that lower pick. Making a deal for the Browns second would be an intelligent move, trading him to Denver is not.
I agree with your post. I am not adverse to trading Garapollo if the time and price is right. The worst pick in a draft where there is little difference in the talent quality between 30 and 50 picks is not the right time even if the Broncos wanted him. I would rather see Sanchez as their QB . When Garrapolo, was the drafted the team that was reputedly linked to him was the Texans and with them signing Osweiller that option is closed. Based on BB's history, he is more likely to trade for a higher pick in a future draft than in effect a second round pick in this draft. Even assuming that Garrapolo is traded, who are the Pats going to have as Brady's backup, Matt Casell?

I agree with your post. I am not adverse to trading Garapollo if the time and price is right. The worst pick in a draft where there is little difference in the talent quality between 30 and 50 picks is not the right time even if the Broncos wanted him. I would rather see Sanchez as their QB . When Garrapolo, was the drafted the team that was reputedly linked to him was the Texans and with them signing Osweiller that option is closed. Based on BB's history, he is more likely to trade for a higher pick in a future draft than in effect a second round pick in this draft. Even assuming that Garrapolo is traded, who are the Pats going to have as Brady's backup, Matt Casell?

Cassel's with the Titans.

Both Mallett and Cassel have high vet salaries: $1.25M for Cassel, $1.5M for Mallett. And both are eligible for termination pay (i.e., if they're on the roster in Week 1, they can collect the full amount).

JAG is over rated here
Agreed. Using the Bledsoe as barometer is failed logic as well.

We got #15 for a 30 year old with 123 regular season and 7 playoff starts with about 30,000 passing yards and 160+ TD's. Posters throwing him a top 10 list is unrealistic.

Both Mallett and Cassel have high vet salaries: $1.25M for Cassel, $1.5M for Mallett. And both are eligible for termination pay (i.e., if they're on the roster in Week 1, they can collect the full amount).
With Osweiller as the number one, I doubt O'Brien with keep both Pats rejects. I feel he is more familiar with Mallett so Casell would be the likely available one.

Agreed. Using the Bledsoe as barometer is failed logic as well.

We got #15 for a 30 year old with 123 regular season and 7 playoff starts with about 30,000 passing yards and 160+ TD's. Posters throwing him a top 10 list is unrealistic.
Casell got us a high two only after starting 15 games to a team where Pioli was the GM.

Garoppolo holds a $950K this season and a $1.1M cap hit next. He is not as cheap as everyone suggests.

I seem to remember Bill Belichick helping a division rival upgrade significantly at QB some time ago.

That rival wasn't better than them.

If Elway called and offered you #31 and a couple of other picks in this draft or a future draft would you make the trade?

If you followed the past 2 drafts, you would have a hard time arguing against the belief that Garoppolo would have been the #3 QB prospect in 2015 and the #3 QB prospect in this year’s draft. Garoppolo was the #32 ranked prospect in 2014, that was a loaded draft class. I have seen debates where people diminished Garoppolo value based on the performance of other Patriots backups, but that is absolutely meaningless to when evaluating him.

Pretend we could sign Hoyer to a team friendly deal as the backup QB.

And if the three stooges from CA2 decide to overturn the Berman decision we're going to rely on Hoyer to see us through the 4 game suspension?

Even with the THEFT of our 1st rounder we still have a lot of picks this year and only so many roster spaces.

Garoppolo holds a $950K this season and a $1.1M cap hit next. He is not as cheap as everyone suggests.

About $210K/year of that is SB prorations that aren't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back