PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you Rate BB's Time Management Skills?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How would You rate BB's Time Management Skills?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
urine idiot if you really think that. The Skins had a timeout to burn and they didn't because you don't want to leave Brady with any time. If they were worried about coaching up Rex Grossman they would have burned it but he isn't as dumb as you let on. None of that personell BS was important to them because if it wasn't, again why wouldn't they burn their last TO? Thank God the coverage was tight and we got the pick but who would have been surprised if they scored with 20 seconds left on a blown coverage by Ihedigobo or somebody else? They convert on a two point conversion and were left with 20 seconds and 3 timeouts. Not the situation you want to be in.

I just got called an idiot by a guy who wrote urine instead of you're, and is also saying Grossman isn't an idiot? What the ****... ;)

Maybe they should have been more concerned about coaching him up to win the game instead of being so worried about leaving Brady time. It took the Redskins a long time to get set for their 2nd down play so they had to call a timeout. Then he made a poor decision on that third down play. It's a great idea to try to leave Brady less time, but not if it comes at the expense of losing the game.

Yeah, if they score and then score on the two-point conversion, we're in trouble. But the focus has to be on not letting them score instead of just conceding the TD.

I just got called an idiot by a guy who wrote urine instead of you're, and is also saying Grossman isn't an idiot? What the ****... ;)

Maybe they should have been more concerned about coaching him up to win the game instead of being so worried about leaving Brady time. It took the Redskins a long time to get set for their 2nd down play so they had to call a timeout. Then he made a poor decision on that third down play. It's a great idea to try to leave Brady less time, but not if it comes at the expense of losing the game.

Yeah, if they score and then score on the two-point conversion, we're in trouble. But the focus has to be on not letting them score instead of just conceding the TD.

I see the play on words went right over your head. Grossman isn't in idiot in the sense that he can run a red zone offense just fine. It doesn't take a Brady or Rodgers to convert in the redzone. Look at Mark Sanchez and his teams redzone numbers. The guy didn't look like an idiot for most of that game so its funny that you call him one now. He actually made a good throw and the right read on that play (only an idiot would say other wise). The Pats stepped up and made a play. You are essentially saying the Skins lost it at the end and thats not the case, the Patriots stepped up. I also fail to see how calling a timeout is conceding a TD. You act like our D needs no coaching and that calling a timeout would only benefit Grossman because he's dumb and needs everything drawn out for him. Last time I checked we don't have a great defense.

I thought the game management at the end of the first half was pretty suspect as well.

Can someone explain to me what happened on that last Redskin drive from a time management perspective? I had to miss most of the 4th qtr.

I can only assume that the Skins were doing what all smart football teams should do and they were using up each and every second to make sure that should they score, that TB doesn't get the ball back with any time on the clock.

If that was in fact the case and BB watched those precious seconds tick away (he's done it many times in the past) and he didn't use any timeouts to preserve time then yes, it's horrible time management. Every coach in this league knows not to walk into the lockerroom with timeouts in your pocket especially when you can use them to preserve time should you need it.

Was this the case ? Again, I didn't see the last drive. But I did find it interesting that the question was brought up at is his presser. I only assumed that BB yet again found another way not to preserve precious time to give his team time to take the lead back should the game have been tied.
He's done it before.

I see the play on words went right over your head. Grossman isn't in idiot in the sense that he can run a red zone offense just fine. It doesn't take a Brady or Rodgers to convert in the redzone. Look at Mark Sanchez and his teams redzone numbers. The guy didn't look like an idiot for most of that game so its funny that you call him one now. He actually made a good throw and the right read on that play (only an idiot would say other wise). The Pats stepped up and made a play. You are essentially saying the Skins lost it at the end and thats not the case, the Patriots stepped up. I also fail to see how calling a timeout is conceding a TD. You act like our D needs no coaching and that calling a timeout would only benefit Grossman because he's dumb and needs everything drawn out for him. Last time I checked we don't have a great defense.

Sorry I did miss it. It wasn't really punny and I've never been a fan of homonyms, but either way, I take very little for granted on this forum lately. When people want Hoyer to play over Brady and confuse Ihedigbo for McCourty and wonder why we don't put Vereen in halfway through the game when he's inactive, you learn not to assume much.

Maybe I shouldn't have assumed it was the wrong read, but throwing it only half the distance on a check-down with the guy heavily covered by White when you need a TD to tie seemed like a poor decision to me. Maybe the All 22 will come up on Patriots All Access and we'll see that was the only open guy.

As for the D, it has struggled, but it looked like guys were lined up and there wasn't any pre-snap confusion like we've seen in the past. Everyone seemed to be executing more or less as they should. I'm sure if BB was concerned about any of them not being ready, he would have called a timeout to straighten it out.

I still think preserving time vs. giving your opponent more time to think things over isn't always such a no-brainer as a lot of people seem to think. Washington called a timeout earlier in the drive and came back with a big 23-yard pass on 3rd and 2. Out of their second timeout, they got a TD which was called back on an offensive PI call. There's no guarantee we get a more favourable match-up coming out of the timeout and we can't call another one. Right or wrong, BB was putting his faith in the D.

As for the timeout being the same as conceding a TD, that's not what I said. I'd encourage you to re-read that. In fact, I'll paste it below:

I wouldn't be surprised if many posters who wanted to call a timeout would also have conceded the TD to get the ball for the "last possession."

Not quite close to whatever it was you thought you read. ;)

PatsFaninAZ: What exactly would you consider a problem with the end of first half? We got the ball with 2:13 left, started at our own 20, drove to the Washington 10, got 3 plays off including a TD that was dropped, then kicked a FG to end the half and a timeout to spare.

Riddler: Pretty much exactly what you wrote.

Last edited:
What exactly would you consider a problem with the end of first half? We got the ball with 2:13 left, started at our own 20, drove to the Washington 10, got 3 plays off including a TD that was dropped, then kicked a FG to end the half and a timeout to spare.

How about being really lucky that the 3rd down play didn't take a second longer, in which case the clock would have hit 0:00 and there would have been no field goal.

No excuse to cut it that close.

Can someone explain to me what happened on that last Redskin drive from a time management perspective? I had to miss most of the 4th qtr.

I can only assume that the Skins were doing what all smart football teams should do and they were using up each and every second to make sure that should they score, that TB doesn't get the ball back with any time on the clock.

If that was in fact the case and BB watched those precious seconds tick away (he's done it many times in the past) and he didn't use any timeouts to preserve time then yes, it's horrible time management. Every coach in this league knows not to walk into the lockerroom with timeouts in your pocket especially when you can use them to preserve time should you need it.

Was this the case ? Again, I didn't see the last drive. But I did find it interesting that the question was brought up at is his presser. I only assumed that BB yet again found another way not to preserve precious time to give his team time to take the lead back should the game have been tied.
He's done it before.

Can you give examples of when he has done it before? I don't recall this issue ever coming up.

Me and everyone I was with watching the game were screaming bloody murder for BB to call a timeout in the final minute of the game. Why he didn't feel the need to have time on the clock if they scored is beyond me.

I remember at least 2 other times this season I've been pissed at BB due to his clock management, the Buffalo game off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
What had me worried was that Shanahan is one of those who will go for two after scoring in that situation as well.
Glad we did not get to find out, but coaching, play calling, execution was terrible in this game.

Sorry I did miss it. It wasn't really punny and I've never been a fan of homonyms, but either way, I take very little for granted on this forum lately. When people want Hoyer to play over Brady and confuse Ihedigbo for McCourty and wonder why we don't put Vereen in halfway through the game when he's inactive, you learn not to assume much.
Not surprised somebody would confuse Ihedigbo for McCourty.
Maybe I shouldn't have assumed it was the wrong read, but throwing it only half the distance on a check-down with the guy heavily covered by White when you need a TD to tie seemed like a poor decision to me. Maybe the All 22 will come up on Patriots All Access and we'll see that was the only open guy.
It was third down with a timeout. Would you rather have let him take a sack or maybe try to force it to the back of the endzone. He could have thrown it away but its hard to assume tracy white would force a bobble.

As for the D, it has struggled, but it looked like guys were lined up and there wasn't any pre-snap confusion like we've seen in the past. Everyone seemed to be executing more or less as they should. I'm sure if BB was concerned about any of them not being ready, he would have called a timeout to straighten it out.
That wasn't the point I was making. I said that you made it sound like the only team that would benefit from a timeout would be the offense and its simply not true.
I still think preserving time vs. giving your opponent more time to think things over isn't always such a no-brainer as a lot of people seem to think. Washington called a timeout earlier in the drive and came back with a big 23-yard pass on 3rd and 2. Out of their second timeout, they got a TD which was called back on an offensive PI call. There's no guarantee we get a more favourable match-up coming out of the timeout and we can't call another one. Right or wrong, BB was putting his faith in the D.
There is no doubt about BB putting his faith in the D and that was evident by not calling a TO to preserve time. Either that or He felt like preserving 3 TO for Brady was more important than time itself.
As for the timeout being the same as conceding a TD, that's not what I said. I'd encourage you to re-read that. In fact, I'll paste it below:

not quite what you thought you said was it:cool:

Not quite close to whatever it was you thought you read. ;)

PatsFaninAZ: What exactly would you consider a problem with the end of first half? We got the ball with 2:13 left, started at our own 20, drove to the Washington 10, got 3 plays off including a TD that was dropped, then kicked a FG to end the half and a timeout to spare.

Riddler: Pretty much exactly what you wrote.

in red above.

This isn't Madden where you can just drive up and down the field, and whoever has the ball last wins. I wouldn't be surprised if many posters who wanted to call a timeout would also have conceded the TD to get the ball for the "last possession."

Did you watch the Giants/Cowboys game tonight?

How about being really lucky that the 3rd down play didn't take a second longer, in which case the clock would have hit 0:00 and there would have been no field goal.

No excuse to cut it that close.

You're right, it was extremely close. Still, I don't think that's necessarily on BB so much as Brady, who is pretty good with the two-minute. Tom could have called it if he needed it, but it's clear BB trusts him with it.

TriplecHamp: All fair points. On the last play, I hope BB does break it down on the show because it felt like it was a bit forced to me is all. They came out of their two timeouts with really good play calls, and my concern is they would have done the same if we called a timeout. But I do understand both sides of the debate. I just don't think it's as obvious a choice as many think.

Did you watch the Giants/Cowboys game tonight?

:rofl: Yes. Sometimes it goes that way. Earlier in the day, Houston also pulled out a win on the last drive of the game. Sometimes it goes the other way. The Titans fell just short at the New Orleans 5 with a chance to win the game. And the Vikings also lost when they couldn't score from the Detroit 2 in the last minute.

Sometimes the offense does it. Sometimes the defense does it. Sometimes a miracle blocked FG does it.

Last edited:
Me and everyone I was with watching the game were screaming bloody murder for BB to call a timeout in the final minute of the game. Why he didn't feel the need to have time on the clock if they scored is beyond me.

I remember at least 2 other times this season I've been pissed at BB due to his clock management, the Buffalo game off the top of my head.

I'm with ya and it seems like it's the obvious thing to do, yet for some reason, BB just loves watching those precious seconds tick away. Shanahan must have been over there thinking, wtf is this guy doing letting this time tick off the clock.

You have the greatest QB in football who has won many games having the ball with 1 or 2 minutes left. Why in the world do you not atleast allow for this opportunity should the other team score when you have the damn timeouts to do it? It's baffling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes