PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you Rate BB's Time Management Skills?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How would You rate BB's Time Management Skills?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, no. I said it last week too. and, Woodhead actually got a knee down in bounds. The idiot ref messed that one up badly.

He didn't have to put so much lateral effort in going from the middle of the field to the sideline. I was screaming at the TV.

It's one of those plays where you wonder 'What the HELL is he thinking???'.

I gave Bill Belichick and "A."

But I thought about giving him an "F" for taking too much time to get rid of Albert Haynesworth.

I know a lot of people are blasting Sanchez for taking the timeout early at the end of the 1st half, but about 20 seconds before he did, I found myself wondering (like so many times before) why aren't the pats taking a timeout here? In the end it didn't make much of a difference since I believe the Pats went into halftime with one timeout in their pocket.

The last few weeks everyone has been saying BB needs help with Coaching and GM roles. I don't have a problem with how he basically does everything, but I do think he needs some help with Time Management towards the end of the half and at the end of the game.

If there was a grade higher than A+ for BB's time management I would give it to him. This guy has been the MASTER of the clock since he has been coaching here (Maybe he did well in Cleveland too but I didn't keep track of him there ;) NO ONE manages the clock better than BB. Now, conversely to you, I DO have some issues with how he has been coaching the defense, not using "Professional, Talented Coordinators", drafting choices etc.....but I have no issue with him whatsoever on time management....thx

the argument of not calling the TO against the Jets to have 2 TOs instead of 1 makes no sense. If bonehead Sanchez didn't call a TO, then at least 30 seconds would have been run off. An extra 30 seconds is better than an extra TO because it does not take 30 seconds to get everyone to the line for the next play after a reception.

Of course it makes sense. There is an obvious point at which the extra time becomes more valuable then the extra time out but that wasn't it. There was plenty of time on the clock, even if the Jets ran it down to zero, for the Patriots to get into scoring position. As such, the extra time out comes in particularly handy for situations like delay of game, bad snaps on field goal attempts, injuries etc when you might also have a penalty assessed.

The Patriots are one of the best offenses at the end of a half and there are two reasons for that: 1. Brady 2. Belichick.

This thread reminds me how crucial the end of the first half is for game momentum. As I recall about the playoff game, Patrick Chung calleld a fake punt and was stoned--setting the Patriots back bigtime right before the half.

BB is very near the top of coaches on time management

but he does make his mistakes here and there, and is not perfect, so a B

I'm pretty sure the time management handbook has Belichick/Brady as "How to approach clock management" and the next chapter Reid/McNabb as "How not to approach clock management".

Is this thread for real? The guy wrote the modern version of the book on time management in the NFL for christ sakes.

B+, and that doesn't mean I think anybody else is better.

He's not perfect but nobody is.

Some time management mistakes that IMO cost us off the top of my head:
- I guess this was more Woodhead's fault than his but the coaches should have made it clear to Woodhead to stay in bounds on the final drive of the Giants game. That's 40 seconds less for Eli.

- End of first half in Buffalo. Again, should have run the ball and taken 40 seconds away from Fitz, then try for the end zone on 2nd and 3rd down. Whether you score or get picked offf, the opposing offense has little to no shot at doing anytihng with the ball afterwards.

That said, he's never really made an obvious or mind-numbing blunder like I've seen from most other HC's so it's hard to complain.

Last edited:
I think the PATS are among the best in the league at clock mamangement, unlike another team in the AFC east.

I took a beating for saying earlier that BB time management could use improvement, we were lucky Mayo bailed us out today. Could someone tell me how letting the clock run down to :22 seconds left when we had 3 timeouts was a good move? If the skins scored worst case, were probably tied, but it was very possible the skins went for 2.

Can anyone explain how today was good time mangement?

I took a beating for saying earlier that BB time management could use improvement, we were lucky Mayo bailed us out today. Could someone tell me how letting the clock run down to :22 seconds left when we had 3 timeouts was a good move? If the skins scored worst case, were probably tied, but it was very possible the skins went for 2.

I was calling for timeouts after the first and goal run. You know the skins weren't going to leave Brady any time. If they score and go for 2 we were probably screwed.

I agree with certain aspects of your premise.

Against the Colts last week, with the team leading big, the wise football move would have been to run the ball and bleed the clock. Instead early in the 4th Q the Pats O went on the field and through 3 passes, took no time off, signalling a general lack of competitive interest in the game. That set the stage for the Colts absurd comeback attempt.

In this game, the Pats had the game in the bag inside the Redskin 5 late in the 4th. All they needed was to go up 2 scores- a FG would have been fine. Run the ball, bleed the clock, if you fail to score the TD kick the FG. Instead, Brady is chucking it around and throws an endzone pick, setting the stage for the end of game hijinx.

The general approach of the Pats Offense raises several issues:

Question 1) Why do the Pats keep passing when running the ball would end the game, even if running fails to pick up a 1st down?

My answer:
i) Brady is running this offense not BOBrien. Brady likes to pass and does not like to run. Brady does what he wants. BOBrien does not have the gumption to say no.

ii) This Offense is addicted to passing stats. Hence Brady's pursuit of the passing yardage record, the TD record in 2007, Gronk's forced near TD record against Indy, the passing yards in week 1 2011 vs Miami.

Conclusion: This team is not "all" about winning anymore. It is about winning and also about statistical legacies and stat accumulation by its Qb.

We are rooting for the Marino-era Miami Dolphins. I loathe this style of football, and I have yet to see any team win a title employing it.

I would have been calling timeouts after the 2 minute warning at the end of the game. But what do I know? The skins might have scored with almost no time left on the clock, instead of almost a minute. This could even have been moe critical if the skins scored a 2 pointer. In the end, Belichick seemed to be trusting the defense to stop the skins, which seemed pretty strange.

I agree Belichick has been doing, or rather not doing a lot with his clock management lately.

Going back to the Steelers game, there were more than a few things that left me scratching my head.

And now this game, there was no reason why he should not have called a time out with about ~1:30 on the clock. Even if they didn't score we could kill the clock, and if they did, we would have time to work with instead of facing OT.

They liked the matchups they had at the end of the half, and didn't want to call a timeout to give the Redskins a chance to make changes.

It worked - it's just that Brady couldn't connect with an open Gronkowski. I don't have any problem with what they did.

This isn't Madden where you can just drive up and down the field, and whoever has the ball last wins. I wouldn't be surprised if many posters who wanted to call a timeout would also have conceded the TD to get the ball for the "last possession."

If the Pats had a bad match-up on the field, they could call a time-out. Otherwise, why give your opponents extra time to figure out how to beat you and extra opportunities to mix up personnel?

Rex Grossman isn't the smartest of QBs, and I don't know why it seems like a good idea to give him the opportunity to get coached up on a play-by-play basis. The Redskins used a time-out at the 1:15 mark because they didn't like what they saw, which gave them the opportunity to set up their TD called back on the penalty.

They didn't do the same after the 2nd down completion set up a 3rd and long, and I bet they're wishing they had. That check-down was tipped and intercepted, but it would have been short of the end-zone by quite a bit with Mayo on him, not the best of decisions by a pretty stupid QB.

He absolutely should have called time outs after the 2 minute warning. I can maybe understand not calling one on first down, but with 1:20 left you have to use the TO's and give Brady a chance if they scored.

He made the same critical mistake in the 2006 AFCC which people rarely talk about, but if we used our timeout's wisely Brady would have had at least 40 extra seconds to try and answer, would've at least had a fighting chance.

This isn't Madden where you can just drive up and down the field, and whoever has the ball last wins. I wouldn't be surprised if many posters who wanted to call a timeout would also have conceded the TD to get the ball for the "last possession."

If the Pats had a bad match-up on the field, they could call a time-out. Otherwise, why give your opponents extra time to figure out how to beat you and extra opportunities to mix up personnel?

Rex Grossman isn't the smartest of QBs, and I don't know why it seems like a good idea to give him the opportunity to get coached up on a play-by-play basis. The Redskins used a time-out at the 1:15 mark because they didn't like what they saw, which gave them the opportunity to set up their TD called back on the penalty.

They didn't do the same after the 2nd down completion set up a 3rd and long, and I bet they're wishing they had. That check-down was tipped and intercepted, but it would have been short of the end-zone by quite a bit with Mayo on him, not the best of decisions by a pretty stupid QB.

urine idiot if you really think that. Go back and watch the Giants-Packers game. Leaving too much time on the clock is a real issue, especially the way both defenses were playing. The Skins had a timeout to burn and they didn't because you don't want to leave Brady with any time. If they were worried about coaching up Rex Grossman they would have burned it but he isn't as dumb as you let on. None of that personell BS was important to them because if it wasn't, again why wouldn't they burn their last TO? Thank God the coverage was tight and we got the pick but who would have been surprised if they scored with 20 seconds left on a blown coverage by Ihedigobo or somebody else? They convert on a two point conversion and were left with 20 seconds and 3 timeouts. Not the situation you want to be in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye