PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did Maualuga look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Spikes engage blockers and shed them? That's what our ILB will be called on to do in our system. Malealuga seems like he's got he size and physicality to fit into what we do more so than Spikes. Don't get me wrong, I think Spikes is a fantastic player, but is he right for our system.

Clearly, we need help on defense, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Pats pick someone who we might not be thinking is what we need. If BB thinks we can fill up our defensive needs later on in the second (two picks) and third rounds, BB might go with an OL, WR, or RB. We could use a top talent addition in our OL. Light is getting up there in age and he struggles against elite rushers. We need to start thinking about WRs as well. Moss has two years left and with our complicated system, getting someone started on learning our offense could be the way to go. And at RB, Maroney's durability is a big question mark. Can we really count on him?

Spikes can shed blockers too. And the sky is the limit for him. He has no reached his full potential yet while I think Maualaga is about to reach his.

i do not believe that a WR/RB will be taken early in the draft

our gretest moves w/ wr's have been in the later rounds, and i really dont mind that, seeing how wr's are so hit or miss

as for rb's, b/c of their life, they really should not be taken that fast, unless u have an adrian peterson type back waiting, u can get ppl in the 2nd rd earliest

as for the pats specifically, we seem to do find with older yet more experienced FA backs

I know that Maualuga's stock has taken a big dip in a lot of peoples' eyes, myself included. My question here is simple - are we seeing the Wilfork effect, where a perfectly good player dropped down in the draft for no apparent reason, or is Maualuga really as bad as we make him out to be? Remember that Wilfork was considered a top 5 pick at one point, but when he decided to take an extra year to finish college, he ended up only being the 21st pick in the draft the next year. Maualuga's situation is much the same. If he had come out as a junior he would likely have been a top 5 pick because the hype on him was so high and he looked so spectacular, but I could easily see him dropping to the 20s in the 2009 draft after a somewhat lackluster senior season. (146 tackles his junior year vs only 96 tackles his senior year). Rey Maualuga - USC Rey Maualuga - Rey Maualuga Stats

My question here is simple - are we seeing the Wilfork effect, where a perfectly good player dropped down in the draft for no apparent reason, or is Maualuga really as bad as we make him out to be?
Speaking for myself, I've read all the glowing comments, yet whenever I see him play I'm left asking myself what others are seeing him do that's so special.

Speaking for myself, I've read all the glowing comments, yet whenever I see him play I'm left asking myself what others are seeing him do that's so special.

Thanks, all, for an amazing response to my simple question! REALLY appreciate it. I'm glad (I guess) to hear others saw the same thing I did. Disappointing performance, for sure. Not that it means anything. BB may think he's the perfect fit, and if he does...so be it.

Spikes, Sintim, Norwood - if BB gets just one I believe the LB corps will be strengthened immensely for the long term. If he gets two.... :woohoo:

I also like all three. IMO, the only real point is, Mayo may not have been the one and only ILB on BB's grocery list (one and done). This draft, there are several who fit.

I'm cold to Laurinaitis.
Same here, although in Vermont of late...

I agree 100%. Remember this is a player that is protected by two DT's and has tons of freedom to run to the ball. How would he do in our system? I have yet to see him take on and shed an OL blocker in the 3 games that I have seen him play this season. I am not saying he can't do it, I am just saying I have not seen it.

A lot of guys remain down on Laureniatis, but I think his play this season has improved a bunch and the ability to project him at ILB strong side in our defense is a lot easier. His coverage on pass plays, especially on first down is fairly decent.

I like Brinkley of SC at ILB Strong Side as well for the Pats, provided he is recovered from the knee surgery and runs well.

ESPNU was replaying the Rose Bowl game and I focused on Maualuga: in a nut shell, if an OL gets anywhere near Maualuga he's out of the play.

He couldn't evade a cut block to save his life.
He seems to lose track of the ball in trash.
He didn't seem to play downhill very well in this game, but whether that was by design or his own shortcoming I can't say (though it is consistent with the impression I had from seeing portions of other USC games).
He does get a good drop in coverage.
I saw him make two positive plays during the time I watched:
- he made a tackle of a RB on a pass in the flat (if the throw had led the receiver this might have been a wiff).
- he sped outside to make a nice tackle on a sweep (if the OL leading the play had bothered to look for someone to block this was at least a 1st down if not a TD for Penn State).

I have a recording of the Cal/USC game to watch yet, so I'll get two more looks at Maualuga, counting the Senior Bowl.

So, who are the top prospect at our SILB position?

I read that most of you are high on Spikes or Noorwood, do you think that they can produce at the start of the season?

So, who are the top prospect at our SILB position?

I read that most of you are high on Spikes or Noorwood, do you think that they can produce at the start of the season?
Top prospect? Mayo. Curry, Spikes, and Norwood would all play well at ILB in NE's 3-4, they would also struggle initially the same way Mayo did - Norwood may have the strength/sand to take on OL, the other two would have to grow into it just like Mayo. Guyton may be starting ahead of them after the offseason program bulks and coaches him up. Sintim has the sand/strength for engaging OL inside, his biggest issue is learning to play downhill, Curry may also struggle with playing downhill, but his 4-3 OLB got to play off the LOS more often than Sintim's 3-4 OLB.

5'9" 173, 4.5 speed, projected 7th round by NFL Draft Scout. Sounds like a slot WR candidate.

Here's what WalterFootball.com says about him:

Deon Butler, Penn State
Height: 5-10. Weight: 175.
Projected 40 Time: 4.43.
Projected Round (2009): 6.
1/4/09: Despite the presence of Derrick Williams, Deon Butler was the best receiver on Penn State's roster. The only reason he's so low on this list is his size. However, given his work ethic and skill set, he'll be hard to cut. Could be the next Troy Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back