PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs: “We’re All Dollar Signs”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well said and very professional. If only he'd been as astute when Plaxico put that move on him in SB XLII...

“Everyone is expendable,” Hobbs said. “At the end of the day we’re all dollar signs. Moves need to be made, things need to be done and at the end of the day that’s when you need to be professional about it and know that it’s a business and gone on..."

No but as Breer said last night, he was part of the problem not part of the solution.

I never said he wasn't, but this habit of crapping all over ex-Pats when they sign elsewhere/are cut is ridiculous.

Comparing him to Bethel Johnson is about the dumbest thing I've read on this forum in the last twenty minutes.

If healthy, I think he'll have a nice year.

Big IF.

My take on Maroney is that we have to assume that he won't be healthy all year and so we hope for 10 or 11 good/very good games from him, which would comprise "a nice year." To paraphrase BB, "he is who he is."

That's if Maroney and Sanders even make the team ;)

Here's a quote that I think shows WHY he was traded more than anything and why he thinks they are all dollar signs: "It's definitely frustrating when you see guys making certain amounts of money that you think you should get just as well and you deserve,"

He wanted more money, getting rid of him and dumping him on another team puts the money against their cap while also freeing up money on their own cap and avoids the headache he would have caused during the offseason negotiations.

Why would he cause a headache during offseason negotiations? His contract would be over and done with. Why would that be a headache at all?

2.25 million is peanuts for a cornerback these days. Non-starting CBs get that much. It's not like he was being overpaid. The problem was that the Patriots were up against the cap.

This is analogous in my mind to the Mike Vrabel trade. I definitely think we could still use Vrabel, but together Vrabel and Hobbs cost the Patriots $7 million against the cap, so they're gone.

Last edited:
Patriots will find out if players return for less - BostonHerald.com

Of particular note was his contention players are no longer going to take hometown discounts to play in New England. They won’t agree to shorter money for the greater good of the team and the hope of winning a championship.

“I think with that situation there are a lot of guys that are coming up that are going to need to be paid,” Hobbs said. “I think it has kind of moved from that echelon where there is a lot of guys out there who are not going to take the (bottom) dollar for the win. Guys really want to get what they deserve and each one of those guys that are coming up in the next year or so deserve every dollar they are going to get.”

IMO, with these statements, he would not be a good influence on the young players and rookies.

You really don't think all the players think this way?

Who are the guys who took a hometown discount?

Seriously, we have Tom Brady and Tedy Bruschi and... and... and... um?

And one could easily argue that by not hiring an agent and taking less a long time ago, Tedy has remained a Patriot precisely because he hasn't priced himself off the team. Tedy made this decision: $2 million for $15 years is more than $3 million for 7 or 8 years. Smart man.

Yeah, because it's totally an either-or proposition. Either he's extremely valuable and must be kept, or he's completely useless. I'm sure there's nothing else that factors into the decision, like finances, contracts, other players on the roster, etc.

Those are some elite reasoning skills, I tell you :rolleyes:

How do you explain getting rid of a 26 year old starting cornerback, who's cap hit was only $2.65 million (?), who's been in our system for 4 years, for only 2 5th round picks?

He's been in the system for 4 years. You know Belichick values guys who know what they are doing and executing their role. Yet we get rid of the one CB that's been in our system longer than a year! Who's got more experience in our system? Our two rookies last year? Our new FAs this year? Butler? Wouldn't you think Belichick would gladly pay 2.6 million cap hit for a 26 year old CB who's been in this system for 4 years, given that the only other CBs we have in our team are second year vets and FAs? Aren't we trying to win the SB this year? Wouldn't that guy give us the better chance to win?

So why would we trade him?

I mean, seriously, how many teams out there give up 26 year old starting CB who they groom in their system, about to enter in his prime years, for only 2 5th round picks?

Reason that for me.

If you really think BJGE is better than Maroney... I don't know what to say. BJGE managed to become a fan favorite by averaging 3.7 YPC during garbage time. What a stud.

I believe is better for the team than Maroney. Maroney has worn out his welcome, Green-Ellis actually wants to play for them and shows it on the field.

And Garbage time? Oh right, those Indy, Jets, and Rams games were garbage time especially coming down to the last iminutes of the fourth quarter :rolleyes:

Costs more to cut him than to keep him. They'll be keeping him.

I don't believe it will cost that much to be rid of him.

It's interesting that you can somehow divine a person's lack of effort so well from watching him on television. It couldn't have something to do with the fact that he was still injured?

I'm not the only one who noticed his lack of effort in the game. The Globe's Mike Reiss asked him about it and he shrugged it off. Anyone who saw the game can see he gave up on the plays too easily. Injury or not he gave up.

Last edited:
This thread is FULL of faulty memories.

LawFirm definitely played some REAL time and had a TD in in his first 3 or 4 consecutive starts. Garbage time? A TD is a TD. 6 points. You'll need both hands to count it.

I don't believe NE will really have a feature back anymore. It's looking more and more like a pitching committee. As part of that group, I think LoMo will do very well, and he's certainly not a big cap hit or in any position to make things difficult that way. Will they keep him after his contract expires? Dunno. I think we can't know right now.

So for me, I like BJGE and I hope he sticks. If not, he'll get signed, I don't have any doubt. I also think Maroney has something to prove this year, and just might do it.

As to Hobbs, I think the cut made sense. He's got a funky ego and will be fighting for PT. Butler and Bodden may be our starting corners of the next few years, and Springs might even light things up for a couple of years. Save some coin, change the culture a bit, and they DID make good use of those picks, imo.

I liked Hobbs' return game. He's a solid corner who's not a great fit in a time when we need taller DB's.

As to Hobbs, I think the cut made sense. He's got a funky ego and will be fighting for PT. Butler and Bodden may be our starting corners of the next few years, and Springs might even light things up for a couple of years. Save some coin, change the culture a bit, and they DID make good use of those picks, imo.

Bodden is signed for one year. If he performs like Hobbs, he will be gone like Hobbs.

With Hobbs, Bodden and Springs, BB had 3 veteran corners at the top of the depth chart of comparable skill. Behind that, he had 3 young corners — Wheatley, Wilhite and now Butler — who were dirt cheap and could use some playing time. Then you've got guys like Mike Richardson and CB/S Antwan Spann at the bottom end of the depth chart who are cutable, but also dirt cheap and who did reasonably well in spot duty and are good on ST regardless.

They are either going to carry 5 or 6 CBs. After the drafting of Butler, do they cut Wilhite and Richardson? Bodden?

Hobbs was a veteran corner and STer on the last year of his rookie deal. He was the lone tradable asset. BB looked at the depth chart and saw more value to the team by pulling the trigger on a trade that essentially netted a 4-year contract on a future starting OG (so the sources from New England say) for a 1-year starting CB, while reling on two vets — Springs and Bodden — to hold the fort down long enough for the young guys to play in subpackages and earn their future jobs.

All the good young guys are guaranteed roster spots this way, and underdogs like Richardson and Spann are fighting for the last spots instead of being just camp bodies, and we've got ourselves an heir-apparent at OG for the trouble.

Good trade unless/until Springs and Bodden pull their hammies getting off the bus at training camp.

Bodden is signed for one year. If he performs like Hobbs, he will be gone like Hobbs.

I'm aware, but common belief is if he lights it up, he'll be extended early.

Some guy said Ellis Hobbs has been toasted more than a English Muffin.lol. and he aint lying....that's the funny part

Yes... he has been toasted. But ask that same guy to name which cornerbacks in NFL history were not toasted by a receiver even once in their career.

Some guy said Ellis Hobbs has been toasted more than a English Muffin.lol. and he aint lying....that's the funny part
Hobbs was one of the Patriots I admired, and that's after he danced on the Bolt in '07. Dude plays with heart, plays when hurt, and is a tough son of a gun. Dude is the type of player that is the bedrock of a good team. I can't believe the amount of grief that guy gets in here. I understand the move but he deserves respect from Patriot fans. He sold his soul for this team.

No but as Breer said last night, he was part of the problem not part of the solution.

He's a dollar sign by wanting more dollars. It's not a problem for guys like Warren who take less money for earlier financial security. The players make themselves dollar signs by wanting every last dollar.

Exactly. And realistically any team has to consider their future and how their cap can accomodate their needs,I don't think it's necessarily a negative thing. Saying Pats players are just "dollar signs" isn't accurate,proven by the players the Pats HAVE been willing to pay. Big Sey,Rosie...we ponied up for them because they were considered to be worth it. Randy Moss proved himself and he got paid,no muss no fuss.

I appreciate what Ellis did here and I think Philly made a good move by getting him. I wish him well. English Muffins are ALL about the nooks and crannies:D

Hobbs was one of the Patriots I admired, and that's after he danced on the Bolt in '07. Dude plays with heart, plays when hurt, and is a tough son of a gun. Dude is the type of player that is the bedrock of a good team. I can't believe the amount of grief that guy gets in here. I understand the move but he deserves respect from Patriot fans. He sold his soul for this team.

Asante Samuel got the same grief, as did Ty Law in certain years. It's just the way it goes for corners. I bet there were even Raider fans who moaned about Asomugha last year.

I never said he wasn't, but this habit of crapping all over ex-Pats when they sign elsewhere/are cut is ridiculous.

Comparing him to Bethel Johnson is about the dumbest thing I've read on this forum in the last twenty minutes.

Im comparing him that he may not make it out of camp, ala Bethal Johnson didnt when he was traded for Johnathan Sullivan- And you remember how that turned out... Look Im sorry to see guys like Vrabel , Law, Gaffney, Paxton, Evans guys that helped us win games, but Ellis Hobbs is one guy I will not miss sorry.. Maybee your the president of the fan club, but to me he was more flash than substance.. I may be wrong but lets see in a few years how is doing..

Yeah, because it's totally an either-or proposition. Either he's extremely valuable and must be kept, or he's completely useless. I'm sure there's nothing else that factors into the decision, like finances, contracts, other players on the roster, etc.

Those are some elite reasoning skills, I tell you :rolleyes:

You probably the same guy that was whinning that we didnt get enough for Cassel, 2 fifth round picks for a guy that was more than likley getting cut at the end of camp.. Good value, good move, but he is not going to be missed.. Now Vrabel , he will be missed, still wondering how we will replace him, and he was a stud ..

How do you explain getting rid of a 26 year old starting cornerback, who's cap hit was only $2.65 million (?), who's been in our system for 4 years, for only 2 5th round picks?

He's been in the system for 4 years. You know Belichick values guys who know what they are doing and executing their role. Yet we get rid of the one CB that's been in our system longer than a year! Who's got more experience in our system? Our two rookies last year? Our new FAs this year? Butler? Wouldn't you think Belichick would gladly pay 2.6 million cap hit for a 26 year old CB who's been in this system for 4 years, given that the only other CBs we have in our team are second year vets and FAs? Aren't we trying to win the SB this year? Wouldn't that guy give us the better chance to win?

So why would we trade him?

I mean, seriously, how many teams out there give up 26 year old starting CB who they groom in their system, about to enter in his prime years, for only 2 5th round picks?

Reason that for me.

Simple. They're not going to pay that much for a nickel/dime CB when they need cap room to sign guys like Wilfork, Mankins, and Seymour. That and he's in a contract year. It's really not that difficult to infer why they did what they did.

Last edited:
Hobbs gave everything he had while here and got the maximum out of his talents.
As a fan of the team, I'm grateful for his contributions while he was here.

Yes... he has been toasted. But ask that same guy to name which cornerbacks in NFL history were not toasted by a receiver even once in their career.

Funny, I remember a certain game against the Raiders with our High School QB and Moss laying a nice Brazing Awesome-Wah... but I suppose that wouldn't count, for some reason or another.

Funny, I remember a certain game against the Raiders with our High School QB and Moss laying a nice Brazing Awesome-Wah... but I suppose that wouldn't count, for some reason or another.

That was only because he was going up against Randy Moss. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference