PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs: “We’re All Dollar Signs”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe is better for the team than Maroney. Maroney has worn out his welcome, Green-Ellis actually wants to play for them and shows it on the field.

You sure like making claims without a shred of corroborating evidence. I'd ask you how you know this, but I'm pretty sure you're just making things up to fit the picture you're trying to paint.

I don't believe it will cost that much to be rid of him.

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what you believe.

It makes absolutely no sense to cut Maroney right now. Period. Full stop.

Of course, you actually seem to honestly think we're going to cut a guy we just gave 3 million in bonus money to, so you'll forgive me for taking that opinion with an entire mine of salt.

I'm not the only one who noticed his lack of effort in the game. The Globe's Mike Reiss asked him about it and he shrugged it off. Anyone who saw the game can see he gave up on the plays too easily. Injury or not he gave up.

Yeah. That's what everyone used to say about Richard Seymour in 2007. Look how that one turned out.

Ellis, my man, you made some nice plays when you were here but you also brought me plenty of frustration - you were after all part of a poor pass D group last year, were you not? It wasn't all your fault and the pass rush really let you down at times - like no sacks in the red zone all year???? Wow. Of course, there were no INTs either, that's where you let them down Mr. Hobbs.

But it seems strange that you or the reporter in this piece would question whether players will continue coming here for less because all the evidence says yes they will (see Springs, Bodden, Taylor, Moss, etc. and that's just of late). So where's the doubting coming from?

I wish you well. At least you ended up on a good team in a decent town. Thank BB for that much anyway.

BTW - Maroney will not be cut in training camp - who comes up with such nonsense? Unless the dude is a criminal, teams invest so much in 1st rounders still on their first contract that they just can't afford to cut a guy even if they're only getting a little bit from him - it makes little cap sense. Plus, Maroney is capable of great play, he's shown that. It's not like he's never done a darn thing ala Watson who is still around most likely because of that 1st rounder/1st contract thing as well.

Last edited:
Hobbs was just on First Take. He had some good things to say, didnt say anything inflammatory at all. Expressed some remorse about that day he criticized the fans for booing, said he should have known better. He also says that the media has BB all wrong.

Also, he's getting a degree in animation from Iowa State in May. Wants to be an animator for Disney.

In case people missed it, Hobbs was on ESPN First Take this morning.

He talked about 3 things in particular that I found interesting:

1) that time he verbally criticized Pats fans. He said basically that he wished he handled himself better, but also that some fans were way out of line (eg yelling out obscenities to players and about the players' families)

IMO, some fans are absolutely terrible and don't deserve to have tickets.

2) What Disney character BB is most like. Hobbs said he is like Quasi Modo without the hump. He meant this in a positive way, saying that the media looks at him one way, but he's really a good, caring guy.

I found that amusing, and actually nice that he would speak highly of BB on his way out of town.

3) His time over all in NE. He did pretty well restraining himself from negative comments about management, coaching, and fans, but obviously you could tell he was indeed restraining himself (eg he wasn't completely positive about the time he had in NE, suggesting he loved his teammates but that everything else was another matter)

Last edited:
I'm aware, but common belief is if he lights it up, he'll be extended early.

It looks to me like they're clearing way for the young guys and this would not be in the cards unless it is really inexpensive, which I don't think is in Bodden's plans.

I'll miss Ellis as I do any decent player who wore the jersey for four years, but.......I'll never understand this part. When a team is consistently against the cap, and a player starts squeaking about more money, why don't they just publicly ask their teamates to take a paycut for them.......

or go play for the Texans.

You sure like making claims without a shred of corroborating evidence. I'd ask you how you know this, but I'm pretty sure you're just making things up to fit the picture you're trying to paint.

That was an opinion, which I guess people aren't allowed to have around you :rolleyes:

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what you believe

Neither does what you believe. You aren't in the locker rooms or in the front office so your opinions don't amount to a hill of garbage either.

It makes absolutely no sense to cut Maroney right now. Period. Full stop.

Really, because they have two guys on the roster who have proven themselves to be more than capable of running their asses off for the team and another who has been the backbone for receiving running backs for a decade and another guy who has played well in Maroney's place to the point that he looks like he can handle taking Maroney's downs :rolleyes:

Of course, you actually seem to honestly think we're going to cut a guy we just gave 3 million in bonus money to, so you'll forgive me for taking that opinion with an entire mine of salt.

Same as I take your opinion as an elitest windbag who only likes to hear his own point.

God forbid someone differ from the great JackBaur :rolleyes:

Yeah. That's what everyone used to say about Richard Seymour in 2007. Look how that one turned out.

Right, Seymore got his ass chewed out in front of the cameras and ignored the questions about it the next day...OK then :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Plus, Maroney is capable of great play, he's shown that. It's not like he's never done a darn thing ala Watson who is still around most likely because of that 1st rounder/1st contract thing as well.

Watson would be a great player if he could just consistently hold onto the damn football instead of letting it hit him in the hands and riccochet to the nearest defender! And Maroney would be a great player if he could develop vision, toughness, and stop dancing in the hole. But unless they all go to see the Wizard, I doubt their imperfections get cured overnight.

Oh powerful wizard of Oz, please get Watson a juggs machine or a new pair of hands. And please replace Maroney's heart so he doesn't dance outside to the sideline instead of diving forward for the first down like normal runningbacks. Oh and could you replace his glass body with rubber instead? It would be nice if he didn't get hurt every other game. Thx!

Also, he's getting a degree in animation from Iowa State in May. Wants to be an animator for Disney.

He might get his wish soon if he flops in Philly. And you thought the New England fans were rough, Ellis?!

Last edited:
Watson would be a great player if he could just consistently hold onto the damn football instead of letting it hit him in the hands and riccochet to the nearest defender! And Maroney would be a great player if he could develop vision, toughness, and stop dancing in the hole. But unless they all go to see the Wizard, I doubt their imperfections get cured overnight.

Oh powerful wizard of Oz, please get Watson a juggs machine or a new pair of hands. And please replace Maroney's heart so he doesn't dance outside to the sideline instead of diving forward for the first down like normal runningbacks. Oh and could you replace his glass body with rubber instead? It would be nice if he didn't get hurt every other game. Thx!

Damn...just freaking hilarious.

Nice one!

It almost sounds like he's trying to sabotage the team by putting ideas in the heads of the free agents (i.e. Wilfork, Seymour), or even any free agents that may be interested in the future. He almost comes off as being a little bitter, like a child who got his feelings hurt. Does anyone else get that feeling?

that is how i read the comments. its doesn't sound like Hobbs. It kind of puts an idea in the players's head that "u best get ur money cause NE aint going to take care of you if they subsequently dont need you, so don't do them any favors"

Damn...just freaking hilarious.

Nice one!

Glad I'm not the only one who sees the humor in that. ;) Watch me get lambasted by the "we're not ready to concede that they are busts" defenders club now.

Cutting Maroney would cost the Pats nearly 900K more against the cap than keeping him. It isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one who sees the humor in that. ;) Watch me get lambasted by the "we're not ready to concede that they are busts" defenders club now.

I'm not ready to concede he is a bust. :cool:

Cutting Maroney would cost the Pats nearly 900K million more against the cap than keeping him. It isn't going to happen.

Nine-Hundred-Thousand-Million? Yeah, I'd say that's a nasty cap-hit... ;)

Cutting Maroney would cost the Pats nearly 900K million more against the cap than keeping him. It isn't going to happen.

I believe that there's no net cap savings from cutting Maroney, that's why Hobbs got shipped out of town instead of him. So he stays.

Maroney has worn out his welcome, Green-Ellis actually wants to play for them and shows it on the field.

Its great that Green-Ellis wants to play more than Maroney, its just too bad hes a terrible running back.

Hobbs was one of the Patriots I admired, and that's after he danced on the Bolt in '07. Dude plays with heart, plays when hurt, and is a tough son of a gun. Dude is the type of player that is the bedrock of a good team. I can't believe the amount of grief that guy gets in here. I understand the move but he deserves respect from Patriot fans. He sold his soul for this team.

You're a true Patriots fan :)

Hobbs was one of the Patriots I admired, and that's after he danced on the Bolt in '07. Dude plays with heart, plays when hurt, and is a tough son of a gun. Dude is the type of player that is the bedrock of a good team. I can't believe the amount of grief that guy gets in here. I understand the move but he deserves respect from Patriot fans. He sold his soul for this team.

1. You cite the unsportsmanlike act of dancing on the Bolt as a point in favor of Hobbs?
2. Hobbs is going to sell out alright, for the right amount of money. It was clear that he expected to get PAID and he was going elsewhere if he didn't get the big $$ in New England. So much for "loyalty."

I believe is better for the team than Maroney. Maroney has worn out his welcome, Green-Ellis actually wants to play for them and shows it on the field.

And Garbage time? Oh right, those Indy, Jets, and Rams games were garbage time especially coming down to the last iminutes of the fourth quarter :rolleyes:

I don't believe it will cost that much to be rid of him.

Your 'belief' is without fact. All PatsFans readers should use Miguel's page first, where you'll see that he would be an expensive player to move.

Given that lack of basis in fact, what specific facts tell you that Maroney has worn out his welcome?

Your 'belief' is without fact. All PatsFans readers should use Miguel's page first, where you'll see that he would be an expensive player to move.

I used it, to me it wasn't that much of a hit to get rid of someone who could and last years was a problem.

Given that lack of basis in fact, what specific facts tell you that Maroney has worn out his welcome?

His actions during last year's 49ers game and his attitude afterward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye