PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell to SI: Deceived by Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Any speculation that Goodell holds a grudge against Belichick and the Pats?

Goodell to SI: Deceived by Belichick - New England Patriots Blog - espnBoston - Mike Reiss

Here is an excerpt from the piece:

Goodell didn't make friends in New England in 2007 when he fined Patriots coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and the team $250,000 and docked the Pats a first-round draft pick for secretly videotaping an opposing team's coaching signals. Owner Robert Kraft thought the penalty too severe.

Goodell told Kraft that, as part of the disciplinary action, Belichick would have to make a verbal apology in front of the press that week. Instead the coach issued a printed statement and refused to answer any questions on the topic. "I was given assurances that [Belichick] would tell his side of the story," Goodell says. "He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived."

Belichick responds, "I did not make any assurances about thoroughly discussing the subject publicly. I said I would address it following the league's review. I then did that in a way I thought was appropriate. I don't think that was deceptive."

The Man Of The Hour: A politician's son who rose from intern - 02.07.11 - Sports Illustrated - Peter King

Last edited:
Funny, you go to the Jets board and they constantly complain Goodell is in the Pats' back pocket and that Goodell is always out to get the Jets (only a Jets fan would think that of course).

i don't get it, he still wants his apology?:confused:

didn't BB already publicly apologize.......to his team lol

'SECRETLY videotaping"????????????

Classic example of not refuting/correcting a false accusation right from the start which in turn has converted this smear to now become a 'fact'. :mad:

if the commie thinks BB didn't meet the press, what was BB's interview with CBS on national tv all about??

This world would be a better place without Roger Goodell.

Gee. Why doesn't SI run with a fresh story. Sal Alosi resigned from the Jets this week........:rolleyes:

if the commie thinks BB didn't meet the press, what was BB's interview with CBS on national tv all about??

silly witch hunt,

i wish there were more coaches like jimmy johnson that told it like it was, cower was pretty cool too, although he didn't admit taping, still props to those guys. Goodell makes me sick, eff him and the 18 game season.

Seeing how King's SI story is a retrospective of Goodell's tenure as commissioner, I'm wondering whether those are new quotes or quotes from three years ago?

If they are old quotes I don't recall Goodell saying that - though there was so much going on, with the media writing new stories on the topic on a daily basis, then it would be easy to not remember him uttering those words.

On the other hand, if Goodell just said those things now, I have to ask: why? What is the point in bringing that up now? What is the upside? I don't see any - unless it is some sort of personal vendetta.

If Goodell did make that statement recently, then to me it is further proof that he is biased against Belichick, and by association the Patriots since BB is the Pats HC and GM. For the commissioner of the NFL to hold that kind of bias against one organization is a very dangerous thing.

Ironically he rails about integrity, but his making this kind of a public stand against Belichick (and therefore, the Patriots) could harm the integrity of the NFL more than any other action or inaction on his part since he has taken office.

He's just pissed because BB stonewalled his ballwashin' buddies at ESPN.

'SECRETLY videotaping"????????????

Classic example of not refuting/correcting a false accusation right from the start which in turn has converted this smear to now become a 'fact'. :mad:

i guess those are king's words .you can ask him ..

why doesn't he do something about the sound being blatently pumped into those silly domes or is that legal now. I did here collinsworth openly say during a broadcast the crowd noise being pumped in was too loud for both teams.

Last edited:
In light of this story, I now have +1 respect for BB.

Poor Roger, how many people has he deceived. He made this way bigger than it should have been and now he is whining about it.

JHC, let it go. Let it goooo!

In trying to figure out whether Goodell's comments were new or old, I googled "He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived". Every link that came up was current, so I am going to presume that Goodell made that statement to King over the past week or so for this story.

While that may indeed be the way Goodell honestly feels in his heart about the situation, as the commissioner he needs to be able to think about the effect his words have before he speaks. I don't see any benefit to the NFL in his saying anything beyond some generic, 'we dealt with it, we instituted some policies, everything is good, we have a great product' type of statement.

To me Goodell's statement just shows he lacks composure and maturity; he sounds like a vindictive teen who is still holding a grudge from three years ago. If he had/has a problem, then settle it privately behind closed doors. Gossiping about it through the press is highly unprofessional.

In trying to figure out whether Goodell's comments were new or old, I googled "He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived". Every link that came up was current, so I am going to presume that Goodell made that statement to King over the past week or so for this story.

While that may indeed be the way Goodell honestly feels in his heart about the situation, as the commissioner he needs to be able to think about the effect his words have before he speaks. I don't see any benefit to the NFL in his saying anything beyond some generic, 'we dealt with it, we instituted some policies, everything is good, we have a great product' type of statement.

To me Goodell's statement just shows he lacks composure and maturity; he sounds like a vindictive teen who is still holding a grudge from three years ago. If he had/has a problem, then settle it privately behind closed doors. Gossiping about it through the press is highly unprofessional.
well..could be also king trying to get a story out of it...he has long held the grudge that bb sit down and discuss elaborately about this

If the Pats had fired Belichick after the SB42 debacle, like they should have, this issue would be dead and buried. Thanks Bill.....

Regime change in Egypt....time for regime change in Foxboro....

Can't wait to see what kind of fine BB gets for his response to these comments.

If the Pats had fired Belichick after the SB42 debacle, like they should have, this issue would be dead and buried. Thanks Bill.....

Your status should go from 2nd teamer to cut. You come across as completely misinformed.

There will be a time that BB will need to move on/step down but it sure wasn't after an 18-1 season and it sure as heck isn't now.

Last edited:

Ban this effing Jet fan once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back