PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gibson and Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Dobson makes the roster, he's the #3 WR just because he offers better balance in my opinion. He and LaFell take the outside and Edelman goes to the slot.

I strongly disagree. Making Amendola irrelevant because the previously useless Dobson make the 53 doesn't see right to me at all.

I disagree but I think it's moot anyway because Chandler will be taking snaps away from both.

How can you possibly disagree? Dobson has clearly been behind Amendola in the eyes of this coaching staff and starting QB, ever since he got to the NFL. What could possibly have put him in front this offseason?

I strongly disagree. Making Amendola irrelevant because the previously useless Dobson make the 53 doesn't see right to me at all.

He wanted to replace Dola with Harper in the other thread so AD is actually an upgrade lol

Well barring injury we have Edleman LaFell and Amendola as the top 3 wr. Slater is a lock.

That leaves, Dobson, Krause, Boyce, Gibson, and Harper vying for 2 spots.

I suspect one of the WR's catches the IR flu after week 4 preseason. This kid Harper is catching the ball, running excellent routes, holds onto the ball in traffic, fields punts AND kickoffs putting up very good positive yardage...it's really all in front of him these next two games. Replay is on at 1 am on NFLN. Watch it again and pay attention to this kid.

How can you possibly disagree? Dobson has clearly been behind Amendola in the eyes of this coaching staff and starting QB, ever since he got to the NFL. What could possibly have put him in front this offseason?

He was a rookie year one and injured year two. I disagree because I have opinions of my own. One of which is that Amendola/Edelman are just too similar. It makes more sense, in my opinion, to balance the team out better with Dobson taking safeties away from tripe teaming Gronk rather than have two guys running the same routes five yards downfield. You can replicate what Amendola offers, by putting Edelman in the slot or using White/Lewis but we have no-one on the roster that replicates what Dobson can do in terms of stretching the field.

He wanted to replace Dola with Harper in the other thread so AD is actually an upgrade lol

I take it you can't read bearing in mind that I specifically said that wasn't the case.

I suspect one of the WR's catches the IR flu after week 4 preseason. This kid Harper is catching the ball, running excellent routes, holds onto the ball in traffic, fields punts AND kickoffs putting up very good positive yardage...it's really all in front of him these next two games. Replay is on at 1 am on NFLN. Watch it again and pay attention to this kid.

I agree with everything you've said about Harper but I'd just like to see two things:

1. Him go up against starters rather than 2s and 3s
  2. Brady throw to him. All well and good getting on the same page with Jimmy G but Brady tends to be quite picky as to who he throws to so it will be interesting to se what rapport Harper can get with him.

yes..excellent caveat...Brady throwing to him. Actually, THAT is the true trial by fire.

Yeah I really am thinking Harper is creating a role for himself. IMO the ST added value separates him from the receivers he is competing with for a roster spot.

Dobson is the most interesting, he needs to get back on the field. He provides an outside the numbers threat we can use. Too bad Boyce has all that speed but stone hands.

Yeah hopes Harper, has earned some Brady Reps.

I take it you can't read bearing in mind that I specifically said that wasn't the case.

???????? Here are two of your posts. What were you saying then?

I still thinks Dobson gets a spot unless his injury takes him into the regular season. I will say that I'm not opposed to keeping Harper over Amendola dependent on contract situation.

There's a difference between "want" and "not opposed". I was thinking about how Harper gets on the roster. I don't believe Amendola has a pre-season catch yet and he didn't look that good out there today. I have been a vociferous Amendola defender (just ask @Brady6 ) but as it always is with roster cuts, if you player A on the team, sometimes Player B needs to be sacrificed.

He was a rookie year one and injured year two. I disagree because I have opinions of my own. One of which is that Amendola/Edelman are just too similar. It makes more sense, in my opinion, to balance the team out better with Dobson taking safeties away from tripe teaming Gronk rather than have two guys running the same routes five yards downfield. You can replicate what Amendola offers, by putting Edelman in the slot or using White/Lewis but we have no-one on the roster that replicates what Dobson can do in terms of stretching the field.

Your opinion has nothing behind it except hope, which is the point. Adding a middle-deep WR has been my thing about the offense since before Moss left, but the Patriots have done nothing to show Dobson as the WR3 this year.

???????? Here are two of your posts. What were you saying then?

I still thinks Dobson gets a spot unless his injury takes him into the regular season. I will say that I'm not opposed to keeping Harper over Amendola dependent on contract situation.

There's a difference between "want" and "not opposed". I was thinking about how Harper gets on the roster. I don't believe Amendola has a pre-season catch yet and he didn't look that good out there today. I have been a vociferous Amendola defender (just ask @Brady6 ) but as it always is with roster cuts, if you player A on the team, sometimes Player B needs to be sacrificed.

I am saying that it makes more sense for Harper to replace Amendola on the roster rather than Dobson IF Harper makes the roster. Harper doesn't replicate what Dobson offers, but he does replicate what Amendola offers in terms of role on the team as a slot guy and punt returner. My preference is to keep Amendola for one more year and stash Harper on the PS but, n an albeit small sample size, I was not impressed with Amendola in these two pre-season games. He did not look quick tonight.

You are free to disagree. My opinions have had a rational basis to them, I have no skin in the game. I've argued with Brady6 a lot about Amendola and I've never been a particular fan of Dobson. I am merely voicing my opinion about how the WR corps should be structured. If you have some issue with that, please keep it to yourself from now on.

Your opinion has nothing behind it except hope, which is the point. Adding a middle-deep WR has been my thing about the offense since before Moss left, but the Patriots have done nothing to show Dobson as the WR3 this year.

You can think that if you like, I choose to disagree. My opinion is based on structuring a useful WR corps.

You can think that if you like, I choose to disagree. My opinion is based on structuring a useful WR corps.

No, your opinion is based on you pulling it out of your ass. There's a difference between "Dobson is the WR3" and "I'd like Dobson to be the WR3".

I am saying that it makes more sense for Harper to replace Amendola on the roster rather than Dobson IF Harper makes the roster. Harper doesn't replicate what Dobson offers, but he does replicate what Amendola offers in terms of role on the team as a slot guy and punt returner. My preference is to keep Amendola for one more year and stash Harper on the PS but, n an albeit small sample size, I was not impressed with Amendola in these two pre-season games. He did not look quick tonight.

You are free to disagree. My opinions have had a rational basis to them, I have no skin in the game. I've argued with Brady6 a lot about Amendola and I've never been a particular fan of Dobson. I am merely voicing my opinion about how the WR corps should be structured. If you have some issue with that, please keep it to yourself from now on.

Harper hassnt taken a snap of a regular season game. Not sure how you can deduct anything about his NFL ability from a PS game.

Our WR position is kida in shambles. We dont know the extent of anyones injuries. Right now DA is our best WR.

And, i'll post what I want, where I want, when I want about anyone's opinion I feel like.

yes..excellent caveat...Brady throwing to him. Actually, THAT is the true trial by fire.

yup.... and not just in the preseason...the REAL test will be when the games actually matter....needless to say... I hope he makes the roster

No, your opinion is based on you pulling it out of your ass. There's a difference between "Dobson is the WR3" and "I'd like Dobson to be the WR3".

You must read via your ass then because I never said "Dobson is the #3£, I said "If Dobson makes the roster, he's the #3 WR just because he offers better balance in my opinion."

My opinion is based upon my limited ability to watch football and my interpretation of roster management. Nothing more. But it is my honest opinion no matter what you think. Now please stop being a jerk.

I'd rather not use up a roster spot on Harper since he can be put on the PS. I highly doubt he gets nabbed by another team.
He might after tonight, especially give the high injury rate we've been seeing this offseason.

Rewatching some of the game, Harper plays outside, in the slot, returns kicks & punts.

Hard to see him off the team. It's a BB depth versatility dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe