PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gibson and Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must read via your ass then because I never said "Dobson is the #3£, I said "If Dobson makes the roster, he's the #3 WR just because he offers better balance in my opinion."

My opinion is based upon my limited ability to watch football and my interpretation of roster management. Nothing more. But it is my honest opinion no matter what you think. Now please stop being a jerk.

And you don't see that part where you call him the WR3, when it's in your own post? How drunk are you?

Oh, and I wasn't being a jerk. You were being an asshat when I was trying to be civil. I'm not the only one here towards whom you are behaving in such a manner, either. As I noted, Dobson has never been above Amendola during his Patriots tenure, and there's been no sign of that changing this offseason.

And you don't see that part where you call him the WR3, when it's in your own post? How drunk are you?

Oh, and I wasn't being a jerk. You were being an asshat when I was trying to be civil. As I noted, Dobson has never been above Amendola during his Patriots tenure, and there's been no sign of that changing this offseason.

I said #3 in my opinion. I bolded it and everything.

I said #3 in my opinion. I bolded it and everything.

And your opinion is meaningless as far as who actually is the WR3.

Again,

"I hope" v. "X is".

You're fighting something that's a problem with your own typing. If you want to hope Dobson becomes the WR3, hope away, and I'll concede some of your point while noting that Dobson is largely a Lafell redundancy, and that having a 2/2 split would make sense regardless of which one gets more PT and targets. If you want to claim Dobson IS the WR3, which is what you said he'd be if he made the roster, there's zero evidence of that being the case, and a whole lot of evidence that it's not.

And your opinion is meaningless as far as who actually is the WR3.

Again,

"I hope" v. "X is".

You're fighting something that's a problem with your own typing. If you want to hope Dobson becomes the WR3, hope away, and I'll concede some of your point while noting that Dobson is largely a Lafell redundancy, and that having a 2/2 split would make sense regardless of which one gets more PT and targets. If you want to claim Dobson IS the WR3, which is what you said he'd be if he made the roster, there's zero evidence of that being the case, and a whole lot of evidence that it's not.

If I was coaching the team, I would have Dobson as my #3. Is that better for you? And BTW, "hope" has nothing to do with the way I evaluate football.

If I was coaching the team, I would have Dobson as my #3. Is that better for you?

Yes because it both actually makes sense and has evidence to back it.

And BTW, "hope" has nothing to do with the way I evaluate football.

Hope is exactly how you're evaluating the WR position when you're putting Dobson in as the WR3. There's no shame in that.

Yes because it both actually makes sense and has evidence to back it.

Hope is exactly how you're evaluating the WR position when you're putting Dobson in as the WR3. There's no shame in that.

I'm done with this. We disagree, as usual, I'll leave it at that.

I suspect one of the WR's catches the IR flu after week 4 preseason. This kid Harper is catching the ball, running excellent routes, holds onto the ball in traffic, fields punts AND kickoffs putting up very good positive yardage...it's really all in front of him these next two games. Replay is on at 1 am on NFLN. Watch it again and pay attention to this kid.
Sounds likely Tyms is already headed for IR. Gibson's knee may be another factor now.

I want to see Dobson, Boyce and Krause get most of the snaps at WR next game. Don't need Harper getting hurt now, from what we've seen he's probably going to be more valuable to the team than any of those other three.

I'm done with this. We disagree, as usual, I'll leave it at that.

There's nothing to disagree about. In order to put Dobson at WR3, you have to be hoping he'll show something to make him worth the slot. This isn't even remotely controversial, and there's nothing wrong with you taking that approach, which I've already noted, yet you've got your knickers in a twist.

You're having a bad "night". I suggest you just go get some sleep.

Sounds likely Tyms is already headed for IR. Gibson's knee may be another factor now.

I want to see Dobson, Boyce and Krause get most of the snaps at WR next game. Don't need Harper getting hurt now, from what we've seen he's probably going to be more valuable to the team than any of those other three.

Gibson came out and met with reporters...granted, he was still limping and seemed a bit off, but it's usually a good sign when players speak in the locker room after a game

Last edited:
Why would we need to carry Harper on the 53, when we can carry him on the Practice Squad? I think that Dobson is competing against himself for the 5th WR position.

I think this is a strong possibility, and the same goes for Andrews.

Did Gibson get in on the special teams coverage units? Harper looked serviceable at KR/PR, but those are spots that Amendola and Edelman held and did fairly well last year. The 5th receiver is going to play ST, especially with Dobson as WR4 not playing ST. Both Harper and Gibson showed that they could fit as a backup WR, but it will come down to game-day contributions, which means ST. I think that's in Harper's favor at the moment, but I could have missed Gibson in there somewhere. Harper being under team control for a few more years doesn't hurt his case either.

If I was coaching the team, I would have Dobson as my #3. Is that better for you? And BTW, "hope" has nothing to do with the way I evaluate football.
I think your idea of Dobson as the #3 WR may have more to do with game-planning than with a full-fledged depth chart. Amendola would probably be third on the chart, but the team could certainly game-plan against an opponent by using Dobson as the #3 to take advantage of matchups (fielding multiple bigger receivers). Another week, it may make more sense to use Amendola more for when multiple smaller guys is advantageous.

I don't think your posts were anything inflammatory enough to warrant the response you got from a lot of people... It's kind of funny, because a year ago you'd get blasted if you spoke positively of Danny, and now this year you're blasted if you speak negatively of him. Just something I've noticed.

Harper has got to be ahead of Boyce now and I agree he gets the nod over Gibson due to special teams ability but also youth and upside.
He is very Jabar Gaffney like.

He might after tonight, especially give the high injury rate we've been seeing this offseason.
Yeah, it kind of sucks. He might be in that in-between area where he's not quite good enough for the roster but too good to risk on the squad. I'd like to keep the kid, even if it means thinning another position. We have no good young WRs. It's just so murky right now with all these injuries too.

Regarding Harper, we see the same thing every single year. Some undrafted rookie receiver looks like a world beater in the second half of preseason games. It was Brian Tyms last year. Quentin Sims, Zach Sudfeld, Kenbrell Tompkins, Buddy Farnham, Ray Ventrone, Bam Childress. Some of those guys made the roster and contributed, even started, but none proved to be long for this world. This isn't anything new. Maybe Harper will be different, but I doubt it.

As for Gibson, he's certainly an NFL caliber receiver and a known quantity. He's just not a reliable player because of his terrible dropsies.

Regarding Harper, we see the same thing every single year. Some undrafted rookie receiver looks like a world beater in the second half of preseason games. It was Brian Tyms last year. Quentin Sims, Zach Sudfeld, Kenbrell Tompkins, Buddy Farnham, Ray Ventrone, Bam Childress. Some of those guys made the roster and contributed, even started, but none proved to be long for this world. This isn't anything new. Maybe Harper will be different, but I doubt it.

As for Gibson, he's certainly an NFL caliber receiver and a known quantity. He's just not a reliable player because of his terrible dropsies.

Fair points. I admit I am a victim of falling in love with UDFAs from BJGE, Sterling Moore, KT & Butler (How can you not, the story of an NFL UDFA is unlike anything in other sports).

Time for excuses. :D

Sims: Only looked good with Tebow on the 3rd team, wasn't much of a prospect at all out of college.
Tyms: A 25 year old 3rd year player.
Thompkins: A 25 year old rookie who has had some NFL success. He is competing for the WR3 spot in Oakland.

Harper's only 21 because he declared early. He was told he would be a 3rd-4th round pick by evaluators (ouch), and many sites had him as a draftable player. For instance, he's younger than even top picks White/Parker. He's the second youngest player on the team.

I think he could be different. It'd be nice because he looks like he could develop into a 2016 Amendola replacement.

If Harper can close the gap with Gibson in game 3 I'm going with upside and the 3 year UDFA contract.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/chris-harper?id=2553230

BOTTOM LINE
Slightly built outside receiver who will have to move inside and man the slot. Harper's foot quickness, hips and ability to change direction with some suddenness could offer him a chance at success from inside and the fact that he will block only helps his case. Harper must prove his play speed is adequate and that he is sturdy enough to handle the rigors of the pro game.

I can see why BB signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe