PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gibson and Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping the Gibson injury isn't major. I think he is now the number 4 receiver on our depth chart. It's going to be very interesting to watch the final two weeks of preseason to see Harper can make the 53 man roster. He has played really well so far and has done nothing but make plays. I don't know how Bill views Dobson now, but certainly based on performance I think Harper has a legitimate shot at making our roster.

^ I wouldn't be opposed to having KT back. I liked him when he was here and disappointed he didn't work out. He seems like a hard working kid and had some potential. I still give him and Dobson credit the way they were thrown into things in their rookie seasons. Depending on the injury situation with Dobson and LaFell, I could see him coming back if Oakland releases him.

IMO Thompkins would only be considered if LaFell is out for any extended amount of time. He is not a slot WR...he would vie for WR #2 with Gibson...IMO

Did Gibson get in on the special teams coverage units? Harper looked serviceable at KR/PR, but those are spots that Amendola and Edelman held and did fairly well last year. The 5th receiver is going to play ST, especially with Dobson as WR4 not playing ST. Both Harper and Gibson showed that they could fit as a backup WR, but it will come down to game-day contributions, which means ST. I think that's in Harper's favor at the moment, but I could have missed Gibson in there somewhere. Harper being under team control for a few more years doesn't hurt his case either.

Let's be clear. The 5th receiver, if there is one, is going to inactive. He is not going to be our returner.

...As for Gibson, he's certainly an NFL caliber receiver and a known quantity. He's just not a reliable player because of his terrible dropsies.

Dropsies? He's caught everything thrown to him during the past 2 games, which admittedly is all by which I have to go because I haven't seen any of the practices.

Now if you change the phrase to "…because of his terrible penchant for getting injured…" then I agree.

Dropsies? He's caught everything thrown to him during the past 2 games, which admittedly is all by which I have to go because I haven't seen any of the practices.

Now if you change the phrase to "…because of his terrible penchant for getting injured…" then I agree.

I lived with a Rams fan for 3 years when Gibson was there, so I've almost certainly seen more of him than anyone else on the board. He's the kind of guy who follows up a circus catch with three drops when the ball hits him right in the numbers that kill a drive. I assume he hears footsteps, or he's trying to turn it up field before the catch, but those are mental issues and not easily correctable, especially in a veteran. He's a frustrating player because absent those sort of regular brain farts he gets open really well and does make some spectacular catches.

I lived with a Rams fan for 3 years when Gibson was there, so I've almost certainly seen more of him than anyone else on the board. He's the kind of guy who follows up a circus catch with three drops when the ball hits him right in the numbers that kill a drive. I assume he hears footsteps, or he's trying to turn it up field before the catch, but those are mental issues and not easily correctable, especially in a veteran. He's a frustrating player because absent those sort of regular brain farts he gets open really well and does make some spectacular catches.
He has shown pretty good hands so far in two preseason games, I wonder if he's been able to fix that at all?

I think I remember some notes from a couple practices, though, where a reporter mentioned a couple bad drops.

Gibson was a rising star that was derailed by injuries.

Gibson was a rising star that was derailed by injuries.

This isn't true. PFF (not perfect, but drops are at least a counting stat) had him with the 5th highest drop rate in the NFL from 2010 to 2012. Go to Turf Show Times and the adjective used to describe him is always inconsistent. The next is that he was mediocre, average, or "the ultimate meh player." I doubt Dolphins fans would say much more.

Don't get me wrong, he's perfect for the role the Patriots would be looking to him for: a #4 veteran receiver who can start, though if the knee injury is bad or they sign Reggie Wayne, it's fairly obvious who will get kept for that role. But "rising star" is an optimistic narrative from people unfamiliar with the player - he's an NFL caliber wide receiver on one hand, and on the other he's maddeningly inconsistent. Though keep in mind both inconsistency and blandness were criticisms leveled at LaFell as well, and he had a breakout season last year with the Patriots.

This isn't true. PFF (not perfect, but drops are at least a counting stat) had him with the 5th highest drop rate in the NFL from 2010 to 2012. Go to Turf Show Times and the adjective used to describe him is always inconsistent. The next is that he was mediocre, average, or "the ultimate meh player." I doubt Dolphins fans would say much more.

Don't get me wrong, he's perfect for the role the Patriots would be looking to him for: a #4 veteran receiver who can start, though if the knee injury is bad or they sign Reggie Wayne, it's fairly obvious who will get kept for that role. But "rising star" is an optimistic narrative from people unfamiliar with the player - he's an NFL caliber wide receiver on one hand, and on the other he's maddeningly inconsistent. Though keep in mind both inconsistency and blandness were criticisms leveled at LaFell as well, and he had a breakout season last year with the Patriots.

That's what I was going to say maybe Brady throws a softer ball oh $h!t.:oops::p

Majority of WR reps were divided between Gibson and Harper so I assume it's a faceoff between both, although Gibson didn't do well in run blocking vs. NO, so my money is on him being the odd man out.

Is anybody here sold on Chris Harper or what? I think he's more than Bam Childress or Brian Tyms.

Another thing Harper has going for him is age. He's only 21 and turns 22 in December. He's the second youngest player on the team behind Brown.

I hope he sticks on the PS if he continues to perform because we are almost nonexistent in the young WR department.

Boyce = awful player
Tyms = 26 year old JAG

Really all we have is Dobson or this kid in the hope of developing a young WR. Lafell is in the last year of his deal next year, Amendola will probably be cut at his cap hit, and we don't have a 1st round pick, so it's something to keep an eye on.

Do we really have something in Dobson seems like he hasn't played in years. I wouldn't chance Chris Harper on clearing waivers some Teams are looking for WR's. I would hate to see the go somewhere and perform. We just suck so much at drafting the position that I would hate losing someone at that position with potential.

@JaysonBraddock: Saw Bucky Brooks wrote some good things about Pats WR Chris Harper. Couldn't agree more.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...n-player-grades-week-2-johnny-manziel-flashes

One of four AFC players he selected from that got As. From a national guy:

New England Patriots: Chris Harper, WR

GRADE: A-

Strengths: It's uncommon for an undrafted rookie to come in and immediately crack the rotation, but that could be the case for Harper, based on his impressive route-running skills and strong hands. He not only shows excellent patience and savvy at the top of his routes, but Harper has a keen understanding of timing -- the young man just knows when he needs to get open within the route progression. Additionally, Harper shows impressive running skills and could make contributions as an emergency punt/kick returner.

Weaknesses: Harper has been the Patriots' best receiver during the preseason, but he lacks the speed to be a home-run hitter on the outside. Although he is a nice fit in the Patriots' quick-rhythm offense, the fact that he doesn't stretch the field as a vertical playmaker prevents him from separating from a competitive group of receivers fighting for a final roster spot.

What he needs to work on: Harper has shown up in each of the Patriots' first two preseason games, but he needs to make an impression in Week 3 to solidify a spot in the rotation. The third preseason game is considered a dress rehearsal; Harper can open the eyes of the coaching staff by making plays against the opponent's first-string defense in a regular-season-like contest.

Last edited:
I think the team should find a way to keep Harper around and coach him up to replace Amendola next year. I like Danny, but I think Harper can do a lot of the same stuff for a lot less $. And I don't think the Pats intend to keep him past this year anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
http://es.pn/1Jlw9pU

Chris Harper -- I looked up at practice Wednesday and the 5-foot-11, 185-pound wide receiver was running alongside Julian Edelmanand Danny Amendola at one point. That's a nice rise on the depth chart for an undrafted free agent who also provides added value in the return game. From an amateur scouting perspective, my view is that one of Harper's primary strengths is route-running; he's smooth in and out of his breaks and can line up inside and outside. Like Andrews, his physical build is a bit of a question mark at the NFL level in terms of how he'll hold up over the long haul, but he's shown enough potential to possibly warrant a roster spot in a best-case situation that would give him time to develop in the team's strength program behind the scenes. Why wasn't he drafted? He entered the draft after his junior season at Cal, didn't have off-the-charts production, wasn't invited to the combine and it was a deep receiver class.

Harper reminds me a bit of Jabar Gaffney.

I've liked what I've seen from Harper but think people are falling into that preseason trap again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes