PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FOURTEEN Million of free agency money

Status
Not open for further replies.
mike wallace or bowe for like 8-10 mil this year.

Wouldn't you rather have Welker back for about the same? Just because you see these receivers as the 'big, fast' reciever the NEP 'need' doesn't mean they should break up the best offense in the NFL.

O, were are you seeing this information?

Great new website started by one of our posters who resides over on the NYJ boards, his screen name is Jason423.

The website that he built/started is called "overthecap.com"

You can select from each division, then each team, then choose the 2013 year and it will take you to a page for all of our current players.

Over the Cap - NFL salary cap, contracts, and more

Cap savings is only 2.5 mill

Cap savings if the option isn't exercised would be $3.5M. His projected cap hit is $4.5M presuming the option is picked up and converted to signing bonus at $1.5M per against the cap in each of the 2013 and 2014 seasons. 2013 Salary and workout bonus is $2M. Unless there is a better candidate you would spread his $2M dead cap over the two remaining seasons. Cap savings in 2014 would be $3.5M as well, so $7M in cap space and $8M in cash outlay saved over the next two seasons. $3.5M in cap space is a significant amount on a team that only has 6 players taking up more cap space (one of whom is the player in question).

If both TE's are healthy in 2013 I doubt Lloyd approaches even his 2012 production. And if they aren't I doubt it matters. He's not a guy who can fill in that level of gap. And if Welker is gone they are going to need someone who could do that and more.

What about lloyd, isnt it a team option?

It's always a team option. Some are guaranteed (salary increases and becomes guaranteed if option isn't exercised). Lloyd's isn't. But he got a $3M signing bonus in 2012 and that was spread over the 3 years of his deal so $1M of that hits the caps in each of 2013 and 2014 so it has to be deducted from any cap savings if you cut or trade a player.

Connolly and Gregory have dead cap from their signing bonuses so cutting them would only result in cap savings of a little over a million for Connolly and a little less than $900K for Gregory. Hardly enough to replace them even with warm bodies.

And you can't be serious about Titus... That would be the equivalent of signing Chad Jackson with a bad attitude as depth... He'd never see the field with Brady on it.

Great new website started by one of our posters who resides over on the NYJ boards, his screen name is Jason423.

The website that he built/started is called "overthecap.com"

You can select from each division, then each team, then choose the 2013 year and it will take you to a page for all of our current players.

Over the Cap - NFL salary cap, contracts, and more

Great resource. Looking over the list, I sure don't see how the Cowboys are gonna get it done. Where are the savings going to come from? Is the info for Doug Free accurate? no savings from cutting him?

Cap savings if the option isn't exercised would be $3.5M. His projected cap hit is $4.5M presuming the option is picked up and converted to signing bonus at $1.5M per against the cap in each of the 2013 and 2014 seasons. 2013 Salary and workout bonus is $2M. Unless there is a better candidate you would spread his $2M dead cap over the two remaining seasons. Cap savings in 2014 would be $3.5M as well, so $7M in cap space and $8M in cash outlay saved over the next two seasons. $3.5M in cap space is a significant amount on a team that only has 6 players taking up more cap space (one of whom is the player in question).

If both TE's are healthy in 2013 I doubt Lloyd approaches even his 2012 production. And if they aren't I doubt it matters. He's not a guy who can fill in that level of gap. And if Welker is gone they are going to need someone who could do that and more.
I don't think you can spread the cap hit over 2 years if you cut him in March and you have to do that to not pay the bonus.
You aren't getting anything resembling Lloyd for 2.5-3.5 mill

Wouldn't you rather have Welker back for about the same? Just because you see these receivers as the 'big, fast' reciever the NEP 'need' doesn't mean they should break up the best offense in the NFL.

Welker had the most drops this season and has hasnt even shown up in the playoffs. Defenses just stack up the middle(especially in the playoffs) because who on this team will scare them from going deep? We have no wr with a lot of down field speed or a big, yet still decently fast wr to go up and get those 50-50 balls. A guy like this will take a lot of pressure of brady, the offense, and the defense(so they dont have to worry about the offense not scoring a lot).

Welker had the most drops this season and has hasnt even shown up in the playoffs. Defenses just stack up the middle(especially in the playoffs) because who on this team will scare them from going deep? We have no wr with a lot of down field speed or a big, yet still decently fast wr to go up and get those 50-50 balls. A guy like this will take a lot of pressure of brady, the offense, and the defense(so they dont have to worry about the offense not scoring a lot).

The idea that Welker doesn't show up in the playoffs is nonsense. His playoff numbers are on pace with his regular season numbers.

So we average about 300 yards passing in the playoffs, and your analysis is that we can't move the ball through the air in the playoffs, and should heave it up deep for 50/50 chances?

I don't think you can spread the cap hit over 2 years if you cut him in March and you have to do that to not pay the bonus.
You aren't getting anything resembling Lloyd for 2.5-3.5 mill

You can designate 2 players as June 1 cuts regardless of when they are.

The idea that Welker doesn't show up in the playoffs is nonsense. His playoff numbers are on pace with his regular season numbers.

Correct, as are his drops, FWIW.

So we average about 300 yards passing in the playoffs, and your analysis is that we can't move the ball through the air in the playoffs, and should heave it up deep for 50/50 chances?

It works for Joe Flaccid & his receivers, but would never work for Brady.

It works for Joe Flaccid & his receivers, but would never work for Brady.

Throwing up 50/50 shots never works for anyone. Flacco threw deep to open receivers, of course not nearly as many times as people are acting like.

Great resource. Looking over the list, I sure don't see how the Cowboys are gonna get it done. Where are the savings going to come from? Is the info for Doug Free accurate? no savings from cutting him?

It would certainly seem that a Tony Romo extension would be their best bet, and even then they are still pretty screwed.

I am also very interested to see if Miles Austin winds up as a cap casualty too, as he would save them a potential 3.6 million. He certainly hasn't lived up to their ridiculous 6/60 deal that they gave him after only ONE good season in 2009.

I'm unsure about the specifics of Doug Free, but my guess would be that the information is indeed accurate and they wouldn't see any savings from cutting him. I would imagine that he is early in the deal and that is why. They are in a world of a mess with D.Free....idiots.

I don't understand all your earnst but erroneous analysis, about the poor Pats pass rush in the AFCCG.

Don't any of you realize that they played that game essentially without Jones and Love on the DL and Talib in the secondary? What do you expect?:confused:

Regarding the 49ers. They have a two man pass rush of the Smith boys. Their pass rush disappeared when one of them got hurt.:eek:

The Ravens got healthy in the Playoffs. They won. Surprise! Surprise!!:cool:

Do you want to bet that their LOT will even make the team next year? Or that their MLB, RDE, #2WR or FS will be All-Pros? Not a chance...:snob:

I don't understand all your earnst but erroneous analysis, about the poor Pats pass rush in the AFCCG.

Don't any of you realize that they played that game essentially without Jones and Love on the DL and Talib in the secondary? What do you expect?:confused:

Regarding the 49ers. They have a two man pass rush of the Smith boys. Their pass rush disappeared when one of them got hurt.:eek:

The Ravens got healthy in the Playoffs. They won. Surprise! Surprise!!:cool:

Do you want to bet that their LOT will even make the team next year? Or that their MLB, RDE, #2WR or FS will be All-Pros? Not a chance...:snob:
Kyle Love? He is one of the worst pass rushers in the NFL.
So you are good with a team that cannot rush the passer because one guy (a rookie no less) is out?
THAT is exactly the problem, even when he is healthy. We do not have another player on the DL that is even average as a pass rusher.
We stink at rushing the passer and it had a lot to do with not getting to the SB. You seem to be saying don't worry, maybe we wil get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back