PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot OL Will Svitek signs with Cincinnati Bengals

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
If the drafting of three offensive linemen wasn't a signal that the Patriots did not intend to re-sign Svitek, then perhaps when the Pats gave his number 74 away should have told him it was time to find a new employer.

Bengals sign another tackle | Bengals.com

The Bengals signed career veteran backup tackle Will Svitek Wednesday as they continue fortify their depth along the offensive front for training camp.

They also announced the deal with rookie cornerback Victor Hampton of South Carolina and then released two to make room on the 90-man roster, linebacker Bruce Taylor and cornerback Brandon Burton.

The 6-6, 310-pound Svitek joins first-year Chandler Burden as tackles signed in the last week. Burden is seen as more of a guard while Svitek has played most of his 74 NFL games with three teams at tackle.

Svitek, 32, a sixth-round pick of the Chiefs out of Stanford in 2005, played his first three seasons in Kansas City, then four with the Falcons and made two starts with the Patriots last season.​

And in case you were wondering, Miguel has the lowdown in regards to a possible compensatory pick for losing the free agent.

This past week (5/31) New England Patriots salary cap happenings | Patriots Salary Cap - PatsFans.com

If the Pats want Andre Carter, Austin Collie, and Will Svitek to count in the compensatory pick calculation after June 1, the Pats had to make them a tender offer of 110% of their 2013 cap number.​

Svitek won't count (as a FA lost), as he was signed after June 1.

Do we know if the team indeed made Svitek a 110% offer?

I hope that Bill didn't just waive RJ Mattes in order to re-sign Svitek. If that's the case, then somebody
needs to break the bad news to him.

Oddly enough, I'm not that concerned with our OL. I'm actually feeling rather optimistic about both the current and the future. I think it may be the fact that Scarnecchia was in on the selections and scouting of our choices, along with the fact that we have adequate versatility in my opinion.

If I didn't know any better, I would think that my wife may be slipping some anti-depressants into my Coca-Cola.

I think it's something else you must need that she's slipping in there. :(

Do we know if the team indeed made Svitek a 110% offer?

I'm under the assumption that the Patriots never made any contract offer to Svitek.

2013 Pats Cap

Svitek had a $715,000 base salary (and a cap figure of $840,000 based on his signing bonus), with a total value of $1,000,000

Breaking down Will Svitek's contract - Boston Herald

2013:
Base salary: $715,000 ($375,000 guaranteed)
Cap hit: $840,000
Cash value: $1 million
Signing bonus: $125,000
Roster bonus: $160,000
Split salary: $383,000
Total NLTBE: $500,000

Notes: With $500,000 guaranteed, the Patriots expect Svitek to make the roster. On the roster bonus, Svitek will earn $10,000 per game active. The Not Likely to Be Earned (NLTBE) bonus does not count against the cap unless it is earned during the season. In this case, it is based on playing time, though the terms aren't known. It would likely involve starts or snap percentage. The max value of the contract is $1.5 million.​

I'm not sure if the 110% offer that needed to be made refers to his base salary (i.e., it would have had to have been $786,500), or his LTBE/actual payout (i.e., $1,100,000).

Either way, I'm under the impression that the Patriots did not make him any offer at all. I never heard or read of any tender offer being made to him by the Pats.

Yeah, I never heard of any offer to him either.

I don't have the warm & fuzzies about our Swing Tackle situation, and having Svitek return would've
given us decent insurance in case Vollmer is injured yet again and Solder gets more concussions.
Neither Cannon nor Fleming should ever take snaps at LT while Brady is under Center.
I suppose Mankins would be our LT should Solder miss more time.

I don't have the warm & fuzzies about our Swing Tackle situation, and having Svitek return would've
given us decent insurance in case Vollmer is injured yet again and Solder gets more concussions.
Neither Cannon nor Fleming should ever take snaps at LT while Brady is under Center.

Wait.....

You have a problem with Cannon, but you're ok with Svitek?

Seriously?

I think it's something else you must need that she's slipping in there. :(

Are you claiming that I'm "not rising to the level of impeachable offense?"

Perhaps this is why she refers to me as "Disappointing Miss Daisy?" It all makes sense now...

I'm guessing it would be Solder, then Vollmer, then Mankins as far as LT went. That isn't too bad of a situation to be in, although I understand your concerns.

I like the following as our early projection OL:

Tackles

--Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Fleming

Interior OL

--Mankins, ONE of Connelly/Wendell, Stork, Kline, and Halapio

This could obviously change if Belichick sees fit to keep both Connelly/Wendell, which is certainly possible. Either way, we're not in too bad of shape IMO, although one more vet signing is always going to be a possibility and maybe even a need.

We don't have an All-Pro swing tackle...WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft