Forget Spygate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
THIS IS THEIR MOTIVATION:
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1065412
FOXBORO - The physical theme is one that keeps popping up, and it’s one Patriots [team stats] players find themselves having to defend.

Offensive lineman Logan Mankins [stats], when asked how important it will be for the Pats to control the line of scrimmage against the Jaguars’ mammoth defensive line Saturday night, got into the swing of things.

He spouted some fighting words.

“We’re not going to back down, I know that much, no matter how tough they think they are,” Mankins said. “We’re going to try to be as tough, or tougher. We might not run the ball for 200 yards, but the day we don’t run it for 200, we might throw it for 400. Who knows? It’s a give-and-take game. We’ll see who gives and takes on Saturday.

“Everyone talks about the physicality of the Jaguars, but we’re no powder puffs. We’re going to hit you back, so we’ll see what happens.”

Speaking of the offensive line, several members were wearing T-shirts that read: “New England’s Bearded Brothers. Hairy As They Wanna Be.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
2) Seymour: We’re physical too. The Jaguars’ physical approach has been noted, but defensive lineman Richard Seymour feels the Patriots also play physical. “I think we bring that same type of mentality to the game,” Seymour told a large group of reporters. “I don’t think anyone is going to come in here and push us around.”

I have read a plethora of comments like this the last two days. These were the two that stood out the most. All I hear is how PHYSICAL the Jaguars are. I guess our team is filled with a bunch of probowl scrubs. :rolleyes:
I guess our team is "SOFT". Of all the crap that's been floating around out there, this is the one topic, IMHO, that I think has touched a nerve in that locker room. It's one thing to bring up old SH!T like Spygate. I'm sure the Players have moved on from that by now. We fans might make a big deal out of those comments, but I don't think that the players care that much.
But you don't question a teams' "TOUGHNESS". I'm not sure if the media is questioning it, but it's clear that they feel that Jacksonville's toughness will be enough to beat us, IMHO. Everyone is talking about Jacksonville's toughness. How come no one is talking about the Pat's toughness. Hmm, maybe they believe the Pats don't have as much as Jacksonville. I just get the impression from the folks at ESPN et al that they don't think our team can handle Jacksonville's toughness.
Well, we'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:
THIS IS THEIR MOTIVATION:
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1065412

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

I have read a plethora of comments like this the last two days. These were the two that stood out the most. All I hear is how PHYSICAL the Jaguars are. I guess our team is filled with a bunch of probowl scrubs. :rolleyes:
I guess our team is "SOFT". Of all the crap that's been floating around out there. This is the one topic, IMHO, that I think has touched a nerve in that locker room. It's one thing to bring up old SH!T like Spygate. I'm sure the Players have moved on from that by now. We fans might make a big deal out of his comments, but I don't think that the players care that much.
But you don't question a teams' "TOUGHNESS". I'm not sure if the media is questioning it, but it's clear that they feel that Jacksonville's toughness will be enough to beat us, IMHO. Everyone is talking about Jacksonville's toughness. How come no one is talking about the Pat's toughness. Hmm, maybe they believe the Pats don't have as much as Jacksonville. I just get the impression from the folks at ESPN et al that they don't think our team can handle Jacksonville's toughness.
Well, we'll find out soon enough.

Traditionally teams that pass the ball are labeled soft. Teams that pound the ball are traditionally labeled physical. Now I dont really agree with this, but as long as you are a pass the ball first (ie brady throws 32 times in a row) I think you will get that label.

Last edited:
Traditionally teams that pass the ball are labeled soft. Teams that pound the ball are traditionally labeled physical. Now I dont really agree with this, but as long as you are a pass the ball first (ie brady throws 32 times in a row) I think you will get that label.

Plausible. But I'm sure the guys that play in the trenches have a different opinion.

Plausible. But I'm sure the guys that play in the trenches have a different opinion.

I agree, the pats will have their chance to dispell that theory this weekend wont they. Good Luck to you guys

big guys will run out of air and don't react quickly .

Nobody is crazy enough to put a 100 lb guy to protect Brady for sure.

Soft vs Hard is like Kung Fu vs Karate.

Anybody ever stop to think that "big and physical" also suggests slow and stupid? Del Rio is a meat head, and has a meat head team. The Patriots are going to run circles around those guys.

True....but the Pats ratio for Pass/Run this year was 58/42...it isnt so one sided.

Last edited:
Forget Spygate....

I AGREE.

Some of us are confused because we spend more time watching reality show on TV too much. Here is my take on spygate incident.

When you hear somebody mentioning about spygate, i want you to ask them one simple question "If the integrity of people in Pats team is questionable, why do Pats' members receive a lot awards for their accomplishment.?"

when was the last time you saw a 'cheated' person receive "Coach of the year' or 'QB of the year.?

it's that simple.

Actually if you go position to position and compare OL, Dl, LB, the Patriots are just as big as the Jags and will be as physical.

the day u call our Defense and "bearded brothers" soft is the day u get ur ass whooped...

dont cry to hard sat night jags

Actually if you go position to position and compare OL, Dl, LB, the Patriots are just as big as the Jags and will be as physical.

The Jags are missing Stroud and Peterson...and Henderson will either miss the game or be hobbled with a hammy. Replacing them with:

DT Derek Landri (about 280) - Got an interception because he got pancaked and Roethlisberger didn't see him on the ground.

DT Gravy..er, Grady Jackson (about 360...degrees or pounds, your choice) - Get yer oxygen ready!

LB Justin Durant (about 230) - Rookie with about 7 games of real experience.

Yet the analysis of the Jags doesn't change. Can you imagine if the Pats came into this game missing Seymour, Wilfork and AD? You wouldn't be able to escape the "Perfection in Jeopardy" storylines.

I agree, the pats will have their chance to dispell that theory this weekend wont they. Good Luck to you guys

Actually, the Pats dispelled that theory long ago....

The Patriots Are Going To Kill The Jags.

After reading Colts & Pats fans comments on several threads, it's obvious both fan bases are tired of talk and are

"READY TO RUUUUMMMMBBBBLLLLE"!:D

Nice Post. I completely agree.
People can compare the Jaguars to the 2001 Patriots if they want. I haven't watched enough Jax games to know if its a valid comparison.

So lets assume it is:

It makes no difference.
The 2007 Patriots would kick the 2001 Patriots, the 2003 Patriots, and the 2004 Patriots asses. The 2001 team was able to outplay more talented teams that were worse coached and not as tough.

The 2007 team is just as well coached, perhaps even better; just as tough; and a hell of a lot more talented.

the day u call our Defense and "bearded brothers" soft is the day u get ur ass whooped...

dont cry to hard sat night jags

Man for man, our 7 defensive guys are bigger and tougher than the Jags defensive line... I don't know what the so called pundits are seeing on the field.... Well, DG and co will be in for a big surprise when they face us on Sat

Nice Post. I completely agree.
People can compare the Jaguars to the 2001 Patriots if they want. I haven't watched enough Jax games to know if its a valid comparison.

So lets assume it is:

It makes no difference.
The 2007 Patriots would kick the 2001 Patriots, the 2003 Patriots, and the 2004 Patriots asses. The 2001 team was able to outplay more talented teams that were worse coached and not as tough.

The 2007 team is just as well coached, perhaps even better; just as tough; and a hell of a lot more talented.

OOHHH, I like your logic Truck! I wish it were all that simple, but we still gotta play the games and execute.

Labels abound.

Maybe those physical guys should explain why they can't break down the soft pass blocking to get to Brady. Or maybe they should explain why they can't knock Moss or Welker off their routes. I would think a physical guy could do both. Certainly a physical team would have intimidated Welker and Moss by now. I don't see them cringing in the corner. Last time I checked they carved up the Giants - another physical specimen that lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST