PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fireman Ed Calls It Quits

Status
Not open for further replies.
His move seems to be less about the Patriots, but more about the fans who are divided on Tebow/Sanchez... what hath woody wrought?? more publicity which may be the underlying intent.

If you have a crappy team, crappy GM and crappy coach fan the flames of fandom by creating controversy..

Anzalone added that he will always love the Jets and continue to attend games, just not as “Fireman Ed.

The reason an arch demon incarnate like Woody Johnson bought the Jets is precisely because he knew the customer base....right down to their rotten cheese stink green socks. Throw the green Jersey mooks a few tough guy sound bytes, hire a blabbermouth snake oil salesman to front it and give his subordinate Mephistopheles orders to keep payroll down and attendance up by making big media splash signings of a select few, while bargain basementing the bottom half of the roster, and *voila*....huge profits and the back page of the Post every time a Jet farts...give him credit...he hoodewinked all of them for four years with this dog and pony show.

Today, however, the circus has left town...and all that remains are a few drunken clowns that missed the bus on the way out.

It's right out of Skyfall: put some coconut in a barrel to lure the rats in, then once all the rats are in the trap, leave them there. The rats will get hungry and will start eating each other.

Woody, Tanny and Rex spread the coconut (with some help from the media) and created their own rat trap.

The reason an arch demon incarnate like Woody Johnson bought the Jets is precisely because he knew the customer base....right down to their rotten cheese stink green socks. Throw the green Jersey mooks a few tough guy sound bytes, hire a blabbermouth snake oil salesman to front it and give his subordinate Mephistopheles orders to keep payroll down and attendance up by making big media splash signings of a select few, while bargain basementing the bottom half of the roster, and *voila*....huge profits and the back page of the Post every time a Jet farts...give him credit...he hoodewinked all of them for four years with this dog and pony show.

Today, however, the circus has left town...and all that remains are a few drunken clowns that missed the bus on the way out.

It also might just be as simple as WJ looking for a biblical-sized tax write-off. :cool:

After all, I've been pretty well convinced for 20 years now that that's what the Bills are designed around.

Crazy die hard fans make sport.

Feel a bit sad for him.

This is very sad news, indeed. Fireman Ed was the face of the franchise. I suppose the Jets will have to go out and actually find a football player to take his place. Godspeed, Fireman Ed.

Well this sucks. Never like the guy…and now I will miss hating on him.
Wasn't there an article on him a few years back that he was on disability or something?

Last edited:
Well this sucks. Never like the guy…and now I will miss hating on him.
Wasn't there an article on him a few years back that he was on disability or something?

Apparently, he was on disability.

Much like Manning and that look from the sideline after Colts losses, Fireman Ed was fun to watch after Patriot wins. It is sad if a lousy Jets crowd drove him away (I am also a little hesitant to declare this final in the event it is a Peter Pan "clap if you believe in fairies" ploy for Jets fans).

I think everything he said in that article is reasonable and based on what I read on JI, which is probably a good cross-section of Jets fandom, I can imagine that he is subject to a lot of abuse.

This is much more respectable than what I thought had happened - that he had a temper tantrum over the loss and decided to leave.

Feel bad for the guy.

I wonder what team he will move on to next and be a die hard fan for?

All things considered the jests have hardly been a bad franchise compared to some others in recent times.

Ed is a Benedict Arnold who was a Miami Dolphins fan during their heyday so he'll just move on to become a SF fan where male cheerleaders are eyed with more interest.

I don't believe his convenient after the fact "excuse" for bailing that those really really mean Jets fans said nasty things to him. Stormed out in a hissey fit, did he?

Last edited:
I wonder what team he will move on to next and be a die hard fan for?

All things considered the jests have hardly been a bad franchise compared to some others in recent times.

Umm.. Guess you missed this part...

Anzalone added that he will always love the Jets and continue to attend games, just not as “Fireman Ed.

Apparently, he was on disability.

Much like Manning and that look from the sideline after Colts losses, Fireman Ed was fun to watch after Patriot wins. It is sad if a lousy Jets crowd drove him away (I am also a little hesitant to declare this final in the event it is a Peter Pan "clap if you believe in fairies" ploy for Jets fans).

This attention whore fraud has repeatedly stated thet every penny he's made from Fireperson Edward goes to charity, yet the article states...

he did admit that he has earned some money on commercial endorsements, specifically for Budweiser and Pizza Hut.

“I don’t mind a commercial or two,” he said.

He'll be back as The Angry Fire Elf next season, you can bank on it.

Wow, shame on those fans who caused this. To be that loyal of a fan for that long to a franchise like the New York Jets, the man gets my respect.

As the face of the franchise, and the #1 fan, FE has no doubt enjoyed the limelight of being Fan#1. Well, here comes the payoff, as now the fans turn on him. I am torn between feeling sorry for him and thinking that he should have known this would happen eventually.

One thing he said rings true to me:
This is an indication of how society has lost and is continuing to lose respect for one another. The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy as well. The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year and that fans think I am on the payroll — which is an outright lie — have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it’s in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis.
He's right, and people should have more respect for one another.

This attention whore fraud has repeatedly stated thet every penny he's made from Fireperson Edward goes to charity, yet the article states...

he did admit that he has earned some money on commercial endorsements, specifically for Budweiser and Pizza Hut.

“I don’t mind a commercial or two,” he said.

Apparently you are unacquainted with the concept of the corporate entity. It is "Fireman Ed, LLC" that sends the proceeds to charity. When he keeps the money, he uses his real name.:)

The article was not a defense of him or his character. It was just answering the disability question from a prior post.

Good news everyone...while the loss of Fireman Ed will surely leave a huge hole in the ongoing Jets Dog and Pony Show, I'm happy to inform everyone that the Jets have made a move to fill this chasm by signing a one eyed, three legged Dalmation named Tire Biter Ted to take over the duties of top clown in Green town....R-O-W-F rowf rowf rowf!...

A couple JI posts by SAR I lend some reasonable perspective to the Angry Fire Elf "societal tragedy":

Originally Posted by SAR I
The fact that a fan would need to write a column explaining his rationale for quitting what is an unpaid, unofficial "job" is comical yet predictable."

I said this last night, he should have just let the last two games play out, do a couple of chants, and then fade. All he's done is made himself the target of more vitriol unnecessarily. He didn't need to go out like this. Now that he has, he gets what he deserves.

Originally Posted by SAR I
There are a measly 2 home games left in the season. 2 hours of football before the nightmare ends.

If Fireman Ed were truly the loyal goodie-goodie you portray him to be, he'd have shown up for Arizona and San Diego, did a handful of J-E-T-S cheers, and faded into February. Come June, announce that he's getting older and retiring from public view, just going to attend games quietly.

That would be the classy, correct thing to do. Would have protected his image, left some value in the Fireman Ed brand. Instead, he pulls this public stunt to draw more attention to himself to the detriment to the very team he supposedly bled green for all these years.

He should have been banned from the stadium when he committed assault on national television during a game. Instead, they ejected and banned the victim! Jets are a mess.

You like to joke, don't you? Maybe I'll call you Joker!

full-metal-jacket-sergeant.jpg

In all seriousness, okay, firehats off to the guy. I hate being on the non-hate thread and discussing this... it's more fun to just hate on everything Jets. But okay, it definitely is sad that their mascot-fan has to ditch the "gig." It would be like barrel-guy giving up on the Broncos, for those of you who remember barrel-guy. :(

I live in DC, where they have another "snake-bit" franchise, actually an "owner-bit" franchise. It's actually great to see that they've made a pick that will pan out, that the ship seems to be on its way to being righted, etc. Poor Ed's been waiting for that day for 40 years. They all have. For them to come (in JEST terms) close for 2 straight years, and then this, must feel a lot like they got the rock closer than ever to the top of the hill before the inevitable.

This long torment has finally created war among the fans, and Ed's a casualty of that war -- for the sin of wearing the jersey of his own team's starting QB.

It almost makes you feel like not piling on.

Almost. :D

The reason an arch demon incarnate like Woody Johnson bought the Jets is precisely because he knew the customer base....

With a name like Woody Johnson, is it any surprise that he is a d!ck?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes