PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots News 2-25, “The Dynasty” Left Much Out, Matthew Slater

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Who cares who makes the pick at 3 overall? I don't get the handwringing here. If Wolfe or Kraft makes the pick and whoever it is turns out to be a bust, the team is in the same boat either way. Let's say it is Kraft who makes the pick (which I think is very unlikely) will Russ stop being a fan of the team? What happens if Kraft makes the pick (again, very unlikely) and that person turns into a Canton HoF'er? Will Russ or whoever give them the credit?

What if it's Wolfe in both hypothetical scenarios? I think what it boils down to is that some fans want someone to be angry at if they don't pick "their guy" whether that's MHJ, Alt, one of the top QB's or they trade back for more picks. Or if whoever they pick busts (still a likelihood even at 3 overall).

Who cares who makes the pick at 3 overall? I don't get the handwringing here. If Wolfe or Kraft makes the pick and whoever it is turns out to be a bust, the team is in the same boat either way. Let's say it is Kraft who makes the pick (which I think is very unlikely) will Russ stop being a fan of the team? What happens if Kraft makes the pick (again, very unlikely) and that person turns into a Canton HoF'er? Will Russ or whoever give them the credit?

What if it's Wolfe in both hypothetical scenarios? I think what it boils down to is that some fans want someone to be angry at if they don't pick "their guy" whether that's MHJ, Alt, one of the top QB's or they trade back for more picks. Or if whoever they pick busts (still a likelihood even at 3 overall).
When ownership gets involved and forces GMs on the coach it ended with the coach walking away from a Superbowl. When ownership stayed out of the way a few years later that coach won 6 championships.

When ownership gets involved and forces GMs on the coach it ended with the coach walking away from a Superbowl. When ownership stayed out of the way a few years later that coach won 6 championships.
All owners have input on their teams. All of them. BB was in a virtually unique position to do what he wanted from player signings/drafting on down. Some fans forget what it's like to be part of the regular NFL. 20+ years of greatness will do that. What is a GM than an agent of the owner?

Granted some owners are more hands-on than others (Jerrah for instance) some aren't. At the end of the day, who cares who's making the picks? People are just looking for someone to be mad at when things go badly...and like anything else in this world, things go badly from time-to-time but not all the time. Go back to my hypothetical, let's say Kraft makes the pick and it works out great. Will people give him (Jon or Bob) the credit? Or are people going to be upset no matter what because they just like being angry or they didn't do it how they would have done it?

Last edited:
All owners have input on their teams. All of them. BB was in a virtually unique position to do what he wanted from player signings/drafting on down. Some fans forget what it's like to be part of the regular NFL. 20+ years of greatness will do that. What is a GM other than an agent of the owner?

Granted some owners are more hands-on than others (Jerrah for instance) some aren't. At the end of the day, who cares who's making the picks? People are just looking for someone to be mad at when things go badly...and like anything else in this world, things go badly from time-to-time but not all the time. Go back to my hypothetical, let's say Kraft makes the pick and works out great. Will people give him (Jon or Bob) the credit? Or are people going to be upset no matter what because they just like being angry or they didn't do it how they would have done it?
Who cares about credit for a draft pick. I care about a functional team and not one that goes up the back stairs to the owner when things get tough.

Who cares about the rest of the league I care about an owner throwing out a model that brought him 6 championships because his ego is too big.

I fear Mayo won't get a good chance to show how good a coach he is because Kraft is too interested in doing things opposite of Bill's way rather than trying to duplicate it or even just letting Mayo do it his own way.

Who cares about credit for a draft pick. I care about a functional team and not one that goes up the back stairs to the owner when things get tough.

Who cares about the rest of the league I care about an owner throwing out a model that brought him 6 championships because his ego is too big.

I fear Mayo won't get a good chance to show how good a coach he is because Kraft is too interested in doing things opposite of Bill's way rather than trying to duplicate it or even just letting Mayo do it his own way.
Will you stop being a fan of the Pats if it's one that "goes up the back stairs to the owner"?
Will you stop being a fan of the Pats if "the owner throws out the model that brough 6 championships"?

Alright so first, all players have access to the owner. A pro football team is a pretty small group of people, maybe 100, running the whole thing from players, coaches, owners (I'm not counting PR people, lawyers, janitors, etc). Everyone talk to everyone. If someone is being treated unfairly, do they have the right to escalate it up the chain?

The model you're talking about worked with one guy. William Stephen Belichick. And it worked for a long time...until it didn't. It's a new era of Patriots football. It's going to take a new way of thinking. Do you think the Krafts are going to hand complete control of the franchise to a rookie Head Coach? No owner is going to do that. Zero. Maybe Mayo is extremely successful and down the line they give him that level of control but as of right now, he's going to work with a GM (or Wolf or whoever is essentially filling that role). Is that a new way of doing things? Not really. The vast vast majority of teams in the NFL operate that way. You can grumble about "we don't do things like the rest of the league here in NE" but the fact of the matter is that they do now...they have to.

Last edited:
Will you stop being a fan of the Pats if it's one that "goes up the back stairs to the owner"?
Will you stop being a fan of the Pats if "the owner throws out the model that brough 6 championships"?

Alright so first, all players have access to the owner. A pro football team is a pretty small group of people, maybe 100, running the whole thing from players, coaches, owners (I'm not counting PR people, lawyers, janitors, etc). Everyone talk to everyone. If someone is being treated unfairly, do they have the right to escalate it up the chain?

The model you're talking about worked with one guy. William Stephen Belichick. And it worked for a long time...until it didn't. It's a new era of Patriots football. It's going to take a new way of thinking. Do you think the Krafts are going to hand complete control of the franchise to a rookie Head Coach? No owner is going to do that. Zero. Maybe Mayo is extremely successful and down the line they give him that level of control but as of right now, he's going to work with a GM (or Wolf or whoever is essentially filling that role). Is that really a new way of doing things? Not really. The vast vast majority of teams in the NFL operate that way. You can grumble about "we don't do things like the rest of the league here in NE" but the fact of the matter is that they do now...they have to.
The vast majority of teams flounder for years with little relevance. I don't understand ownerships rush to do things like everyone else. Maybe don't assume BBs philosophies would only work for one person and instead try to replicate as much of it as you can.

The vast majority of teams flounder for years with little relevance. I don't understand ownerships rush to do things like everyone else. Maybe don't assume BBs philosophies would only work for one person and instead try to replicate as much of it as you can.
It's really tough to win a Super Bowl. Like extremely hard so, yeah, a lot of teams are going to flounder without relevance. Welcome to the rest of the NFL.

Okay, so lets say you're the owner of the Pats. Mayo's your head coach. He's never been a head coach and only has 8 years of coaching experience total. Would you give him complete control of the franchise in Year One as HC simply because that's how things are done here? And how upset would you be if Kraft did give Mayo complete control and the team ends up worse than it is now (and it can get worse, believe me)? Would you laud Kraft for sticking to his philosophy?

It's really tough to win a Super Bowl. Like extremely hard so, yeah, a lot of teams are going to flounder without relevance. Welcome to the rest of the NFL.

Okay, so lets say you're the owner of the Pats. Mayo's your head coach. He's never been a head coach and only has 8 years of coaching experience total. Would you give him complete control of the franchise in Year One as HC simply because that's how things are done here? And how upset would you be if Kraft did give Mayo complete control and the team ends up worse than it is now (and it can get worse, believe me)? Would you laud Kraft for sticking to his philosophy?
I'd have employed someone with the experience to be able to handle it.

Sorry if I don't see the logic in hiring someone you don't see capable of handling everything.
That still doesn't stop you from answering my hypothetical.

Also, you're being ridiculous. You realize BB is a HoF level coach with a unique mind for football, right? Those guys don't grow on trees and they come around once a generation. Sure, you want to hire the best coach available but saying they should always hire a guy equipped to run the whole show just doesn't conform with reality.

One team has the owner as GM (Cowboys). No team has a HC as GM as of today.

(I know what you're going to say: I don't care what they other teams are doing yadda yadda yadda)

That still doesn't stop you from answering my hypothetical.

Also, you're being ridiculous. You realize BB is a HoF level coach with a unique mind for football, right? Those guys don't grow on trees and they come around once a generation. Sure, you want to hire the best coach available but saying they should always hire a guy equipped to run the whole show just doesn't conform with reality.

One team has the owner as GM (Cowboys). No team has a HC as GM as of today.

(I know what you're going to say: I don't care what they other teams are doing yadda yadda yadda)
To answer your hypotheticals.
1. Yes give him control.
2. I'd be very upset.
3. I don't laud Kraft for anything. He doesn't do anything.

Patriots News 2-25, “The Dynasty” Left Much Out, Matthew Slater
Steve Balestrieri
“Matthew Slater deserves every accolade someone could receive. He added that Slater was the “best core special teams player in NFL history.”

The post Patriots News 2-25, “The Dynasty” Left Much Out, Matthew Slater appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
I want some more information on this portion of the article, including audio and video files.

Ian Logue: Our leader here from @Patsfans.com has been hiding some of his talents from us for a long time. Later during this offseason, I will begin my 13th season with the site, and I never knew Ian was such an accomplished singer.
Seeing him belt out some oldies from the 80s was a treat! Who knew??? However, next time, I’m putting in a request for him to sing some Elvis.

I want some more information on this portion of the article, including audio and video files.

Ian Logue: Our leader here from @Patsfans.com has been hiding some of his talents from us for a long time. Later during this offseason, I will begin my 13th season with the site, and I never knew Ian was such an accomplished singer.
Seeing him belt out some oldies from the 80s was a treat! Who knew??? However, next time, I’m putting in a request for him to sing some Elvis.
LOL, my daughter tagged me in a karaoke video after we went out with her and her husband last weekend. I think the word "accomplished" is a bit of a stretch.

"accomplished"
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

I'm a massive dork. I think after 20+ years, most people in here are aware of that ;)

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back